The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fëanor

Quote from: Kuhlau on December 06, 2008, 03:41:49 PM
An excellent post, Dave. I'd also like to recommend a thread on another classical forum which throws a good deal of light on the subject. Ignore the posts by yours truly and skip through to the one by a member called hugerr on page 2 (Reply #27): CD Formats.

FK

I completely agree, Kuhlau, that is a very good discussion indeed; anyone not thoroughly initiated in computer audio formats ought to read it.

For my part I download very little, preferring to buy music on CD simply because you get full CD quality, (PCM 16bit/44.1kHz), and because it is no more expensive to buy CDs than downloads at $1.00 per "song".

However I listen 95% to computer playback: my usual player is Foobar2000;  see 'My stereo equipment', below for further details.  For classical music I always rip to a lossless format: usually  FLAC, sometimes ALAC (Apple Lossless).  N.B. Archiving to a lossless format permits you to burn CD-Rs with full, original quality.  It's true that MP3 at 320kbps takes about half the space of lossless and that most people, on most equipment, can't tell the difference -- but then again some can.  IMO, at the low cost of computer hard disk capacity today, it is worthwhile to rip only to lossless.

If you want to store a lot of music on a portable device, an iPod or other MP3 player, then I recommend tha you create a copy, converting from lossless to a medium-high bit rate MP3 (or optionally AAC for Apple iPod).

For ripping, conversion, and burning I highly recommend dBpoweramp; this program is about as good as it gets, folks: easlier to use and more functional than EAC, although the 'Reference' version will cost you US$36.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Yup, agreed.
Many hardware players support AAC also, as a modern codec it is a better alternative to mp3. Depending on what the player suports, I'd lossy encode in order: (wma standard < Lame mp3 < [nero aac|vorbis]). If WMA pro was supported on hardware players, I'd also go for that one. WMA encoding can also be done with fb2k, but it's useless as long as wma pro is not supported widely.
If you don't need the burning part (I have no more need for it, all my target devices support usb sticks) fb2k would be all you need. The converter become much better. Especially if you create lossy files for car or wherever portable, foo_dsp_vlevel is a must for classical listeners (high dynamics in general).

Lethevich

Just a reminder, John Berky's archive of obscure Bruckner performances is no longer limited to three available downloads at any one time, there are now considerably more. I particularly recommend the 6th, which is one of the best. The 4th would also be a fine introduction to somebody who has yet to hear the work - a solid performance, well played and recorded.

http://www.abruckner.com/downloads/downloadofthemonth/
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Kuhlau

Quote from: Lethe on December 11, 2008, 09:30:16 AM
Just a reminder, John Berky's archive of obscure Bruckner performances is no longer limited to three available downloads at any one time, there are now considerably more. I particularly recommend the 6th, which is one of the best. The 4th would also be a fine introduction to somebody who has yet to hear the work - a solid performance, well played and recorded.

http://www.abruckner.com/downloads/downloadofthemonth/

Thanks for the link, Lethe. Not come across this site before. :)

FK

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Kuhlau on December 12, 2008, 01:52:14 PM
Thanks for the link, Lethe. Not come across this site before. :)

FK

Mandatory bookmark material.

BTW I read your reviews of the various Brahms PC 1 recordings with much interest  ;)

Kuhlau

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 12, 2008, 06:54:58 PM
BTW I read your reviews of the various Brahms PC 1 recordings with much interest  ;)

Good show - thanks. :)

There's still one review to come (Freire/Chailly), but I've been busy preparing my classical music review blog for launch in January. I'll try to get that final review sorted next week. ;)

FK

Fëanor

This looks great!  :)

Deutsche Grammophon is now offering FLAC and 320kbps MP3 downloads direct from their website.  The selection looks limited as yet, however.

Or you can stream the whole album for a week to see if you like it for $0.99.  Boogie down!

flyingdutchman

A great download from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NBNR7S/ref=yml_dp

Those are the complete symphonies for $6.99!!

Kuhlau

Quote from: jo jo starbuck on January 03, 2009, 02:23:21 PM
A great download from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NBNR7S/ref=yml_dp

Those are the complete symphonies for $6.99!!

This is too incredible an offer to turn down. :o

Here's the link for those of us in the UK: Complete Glazunov Symphonies.

FK

George

Quote from: Feanor on December 13, 2008, 05:47:42 AM

Deutsche Grammophon is now offering FLAC and 320kbps MP3 downloads direct from their website.  The selection looks limited as yet, however.

Or you can stream the whole album for a week to see if you like it for $0.99.  Bogey down!

I wonder if EMI is also doing this? I'm gonna check it out! Thanks!

George

There's a new search engine that covers mediafire, rapidshare, sendspace, badongo, and 4sharedfiles:

http://freec-panelwebhosting.co.cc/rapid/

Apparently they are expanding everyday. Right now, not much is available. Could become a great resource, so I figured I'd post this. 

Opus106

Quote from: George on January 24, 2009, 07:26:28 PM
There's a new search engine that covers meidafire, rapidshare, sendspace, badongo, and 4sharedfiles:

http://freec-panelwebhosting.co.cc/rapid/

Apparently they are expanding everyday. Right now, not much is available. Could become a great resource, so I figured I'd post this. 

Nice. Thanks for the link.
Regards,
Navneeth

George

Quote from: Feanor on December 13, 2008, 05:47:42 AM

Or you can stream the whole album for a week to see if you like it for $0.99.  Boogie down!

Do you or anyone else know if DG plans to make all of their downloads available as FLAC?

Maciek

The DVD sound-ripping discussion has been moved here. $:)

Kuhlau

One for Berg/Julia Fischer fans, courtesy of RMCR:

Berg's Violin Concerto - Julia Fischer with the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra under Ingo Metzmacher.

Two FLAC files, so ideal for those who care about quality. ;)

FK

Lethevich

Quote from: Kuhlau on February 24, 2009, 07:16:36 AM
One for Berg/Julia Fischer fans, courtesy of RMCR:

Berg's Violin Concerto - Julia Fischer with the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra under Ingo Metzmacher.

Two FLAC files, so ideal for those who care about quality. ;)

Wow, a must-grab for me. Thanks!

Kuhlau

No worries, Sara.

Sometimes it pays having RMCR coming into one's inbox as just a single daily abridged email. ;)

FK

Lethevich

Quote from: Kuhlau on February 24, 2009, 07:22:23 AM
Sometimes it pays having RMCR coming into one's inbox as just a single daily abridged email. ;)

I like how typical that thread was for RMCR. Instead of commenting on the music, they get involved in a 2 page long argument about the recording's origin ;D

Kuhlau

This is why they've been relegated to a brief email once a day - having RMCR on Google Reader crowded out every other feed. ;D

FK

Haffner

Quote from: Kuhlau on December 12, 2008, 11:57:53 PM
Good show - thanks. :)

There's still one review to come (Freire/Chailly), but I've been busy preparing my classical music review blog for launch in January. I'll try to get that final review sorted next week. ;)

FK

Really cool site!