The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuhlau

Quote from: AndyD. on February 24, 2009, 10:15:42 AM
Really cool site!

Thanks, Andy. :)

I'm working hard to make it a destination for classical music newbies. Somewhere they can read my thoughts on music ... then go off and read those of others. ;D

FK

Haffner

Quote from: Kuhlau on February 24, 2009, 10:22:31 AM
Thanks, Andy. :)

I'm working hard to make it a destination for classical music newbies. Somewhere they can read my thoughts on music ... then go off and read those of others. ;D

FK

I really got something out of your article on the Rattle/Beethoven. It was really useful, since I haven't heard that recording yet/

mwb

Now that the Boston Symphony Orchestra has had its Digital Music Store for a while, has any one tried it and have opinions about it?  Quality, usability, etc.?

It seems like a good way for me to show support for them since I live here and actually never go to their live concerts. 

I find their subscription model interesting.  If I'm reading it right, since they do it by year (I'm ignoring the bizarre 3 months of access option) rather than by season, it seems it is kind of in your best interest to not buy it now mid-season but either wait until the end of the current season or beginning of next to get both seasons (since it covers the archive and newly added stuff for one year.) 
- Michael

George

Mozart
Piano Concerto 20
Martha Argerich
conducted by Barenboim
Paris 1986
Live Concert

http://www.divshare.com/download/launch/5599876-171.

These are unfortunately lossy files, in .ogg format, but I thought I would post the link for those who can make use of these files.

Opus106

Thanks, George. :) I'm downloading it now, but since it's close to bedtime, I'll have to listen to it later in the day.
Regards,
Navneeth

George

Quote from: opus67 on March 20, 2009, 11:53:10 AM
Thanks, George. :) I'm downloading it now, but since it's close to bedtime, I'll have to listen to it later in the day.

.ogg is an audio format, right? I can't download it, as I am at work right now, but I am curious.

Opus106

Quote from: George on March 20, 2009, 11:54:18 AM
.ogg is an audio format, right? I can't download it, as I am at work right now, but I am curious.
Yep. Open source, too. And it's from the same people who bring you FLAC.

The download is a zip file, though.
Regards,
Navneeth

Kuhlau

Cheers, George, ;)

May I warmly recommend the podcasts from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston? Every other Sunday from September through May, they hold concerts in the Tapestry Room at the museum, and make these available for free in podcast format through their site. Each one has an introduction from their music director, followed by an introduction to whatever's about to be played - then it's all music, pure and simple.

Okay, these are fairly low-bitrate files. But the performances I've heard so far from the 66 podcasts currently available (be sure to check out the archives) are excellent and well worth hearing.

FK

mwb

Quote from: Kuhlau on March 20, 2009, 12:21:51 PM
Cheers, George, ;)

May I warmly recommend the podcasts from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston? Every other Sunday from September through May, they hold concerts in the Tapestry Room at the museum, and make these available for free in podcast format through their site. Each one has an introduction from their music director, followed by an introduction to whatever's about to be played - then it's all music, pure and simple.

Okay, these are fairly low-bitrate files. But the performances I've heard so far from the 66 podcasts currently available (be sure to check out the archives) are excellent and well worth hearing.

FK

Agreed usually worth a listen.  I subscribe to it via iTunes where it is called amusingly enough "The Concert." 

I'd also recommend the WGBH Classical Performance Podcast, which I also subscribe to via iTunes and enjoy a great deal.

----------------
Listening to: Chopin, Frederic - Chopin: Piano Sonata No.2 in B flat minor, Op.35 - 1. Grave - Doppio movimento
via FoxyTunes
- Michael

Kuhlau

Quote from: mwb on March 21, 2009, 05:39:05 AM
I'd also recommend the WGBH Classical Performance Podcast, which I also subscribe to via iTunes and enjoy a great deal.

Fantastic. Thanks for this. :)

FK

George

Free download of a live broadcast of the Beethoven PC 1 by Sokolov with Pinnock. This was broadcasted by The Bavarian Radio (Bayern 4 Klassik).

It was uploaded by another fan of the pianist and link will not last long. (a day or two)

Enjoy!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CJ3J3SP0

Dr. Dread

The Amazon daily mp3 deal is "99 Perfectly Relaxing Songs" for 99 cents.

Much of this is actually sacred music, so you can get a bunch of it cheap. Notation isn't always that great. A bit of a hodge-podge. Not sure how much this costs regularly. Maybe the same price.

99 CENTS!  ;D

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

No single penny for lossy music! (Applies for me).

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Wurstwasser on March 27, 2009, 09:09:07 AM
No single penny for lossy music! (Applies for me).

Yes, well, what's your point?

flyingdutchman

So emusic is offering me a return to them for $8.99 and I get 50 downloads.  I want to get a bunch of Sterling cd downloads and I think it would be a great deal, but my thoughts about emusic are that they aren't well thought of around here.

Kuhlau

There are pluses and minuses to using eMusic. On the one hand, you get a lot of music for your bucks. On the other, you sometimes find that the ripping and/or encoding has been sloppily done. It wasn't like that when I first began using the service in 2006 - I almost never encountered a problem. Then I started to discover more and more files with stuff wrong with them (clicking, popping, a few seconds chopped off of the end) ... so I quit the service.

FK

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Kuhlau