The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loudav

I thought you folks might be interested in this:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4811309

This is a 24-bit/44.1 kHz transcription using high-end analog equipment of an LP released originally on Pierre Verany records (PV 3791). It is a recording made in October 1978 of the Royal Organ in Saint-Maximin-en-Provence, constructed in 1774 by Jean and Joseph Isnard, performed by Pierre Bardon. The organ, the recording, and the LP pressing are all magnificent. It is one of the richest and most brilliant recordings of an organ I've ever heard. The engineers (not credited on the LP) used Schoeps MSTC microphones with MK4 cardoid capsules suspended from a helium balloon for optimum positioning, EMT cables, and a Nagra IV S reel-to-reel tape recorder running Agfa PEM 468 tape. The Isnard organ has breathtakingly snorty reed stops and lovely sweet flutes. The LP is in immaculate condition, and there is virtually no tracking distortion at all, even in the most challenging passages.

More information on the organ can be found here: http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/organs/Maximin/history.0.asp

Equipment used for A/D conversion: Lyra Helikon phono cartridge, Linn LP12/Lingo turntable, Linn Ittok tonearm, Audioquest LeoPard tonearm cable, PS Audio PS2 preamplifier, Kimber PBJ interconnect, M-Audio Audiophile USB A/D converter.

André Raison - Extraits du premier livre d'orgue [10:26]

Vive le Roy des Parisiens (offerte du 5 ton)
Trio en passacaille
Grand Plein-jeu

Gilles Jullien - Extraits du premier livre d'orgue [13:13]

Trio à trois claviers
Dessus de tierce
Trio à deux dessus
Grand Plein-jeu à cinq parties
Dessus de cornet
Tierce en taille

Jean-Francois Dandrieu [7:14]

Offertoire
Récit de Nazard
Fugue sur l'Ave Maris Stella

Guillain - Suite du deuxième ton [11:30]

Prélude
Tierce en taille
Duo
Basse de trompette
Trio de flûtes
Petit Plein-jeu
Dialogue

No information on registrations was provided with the LP.

Lethevich

Sounds interesting, I'll check it - thanks. Fun to read about the helium balloon :D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Fëanor

Quote from: loudav on March 29, 2009, 06:05:08 PM
I thought you folks might be interested in this:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4811309

This is a 24-bit/44.1 kHz transcription using high-end analog equipment of an LP ...

Thanks, loudav,

I'm downloading this as I write.  Should be a good listen.

But I wonder:  could this be a copywrite infringement?

Lethevich

Quote from: Feanor on March 31, 2009, 05:50:33 AM
Thanks, loudav,

Most if not all of Lou's releases are still in copyright, if I recall correctly, but he takes great pains to only release music which is not commercially available and often impossible to find for any amount of money. An example of "ethical filesharing".
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

loudav

Quote from: Lethe on March 31, 2009, 07:33:05 AM
Most if not all of Lou's releases are still in copyright, if I recall correctly, but he takes great pains to only release music which is not commercially available and often impossible to find for any amount of money. An example of "ethical filesharing".

Well, semi-ethical, but thanks for the vote of confidence, Lethe. This is indeed long OOP--in fact, I'm not sure it was ever released on CD. So no one's commercial interests are being harmed by its being shared. But as Lethe observes, copyright presumably still holds.

Fëanor

Quote from: loudav on March 31, 2009, 01:58:55 PM
Well, semi-ethical, but thanks for the vote of confidence, Lethe. This is indeed long OOP--in fact, I'm not sure it was ever released on CD. So no one's commercial interests are being harmed by its being shared. But as Lethe observes, copyright presumably still holds.

$:) Well in that case I listen guilt-free.   0:)

It is indeed excellent organ sound and a tribute to great recording technique.  And a tribute the LP medium -- even when transcribed to digital.

flyingdutchman

Quote from: Feanor on March 31, 2009, 05:50:33 AM
Thanks, loudav,

How do I download this?  I tried and I can't seem to read the torrent.

loudav

Quote from: jo jo starbuck on March 31, 2009, 05:09:43 PM

You need bittorrent client software such as utorrent, which you can download free (Google utorrent). You open the torrent file in the client software and it connects you to the swarm. You also need control over your firewall to be able to both upload and download, so it's usually not do-able on a large networked system like at work or a university. If you've never done it before, there can be a bit of learning curve. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)

Good luck!

George

Quote from: jo jo starbuck on March 31, 2009, 05:09:43 PM

If you're on a MAC, Transmission (freeware) is very easy to use.  :)

flyingdutchman

Quote from: loudav on March 31, 2009, 05:51:16 PM
You need bittorrent client software such as utorrent, which you can download free (Google utorrent). You open the torrent file in the client software and it connects you to the swarm. You also need control over your firewall to be able to both upload and download, so it's usually not do-able on a large networked system like at work or a university. If you've never done it before, there can be a bit of learning curve. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)

Good luck!

Thanks.  Did it. Got it.  Sounds great!

stingo

Going to ask a newbie question here... When you buy downloads, do you get liner notes and artwork, or just the music?

Frumaster

Quote from: stingo on April 02, 2009, 10:08:43 AM
Going to ask a newbie question here... When you buy downloads, do you get liner notes and artwork, or just the music?

Depends where you buy it really.  A few sites (usually those owned by a particular label) offer liner notes, but so far as I know Amazon and iTunes don't offer them.  You will always get the cover artwork though.  This is usually embedded in the mp3 files.

Now a question of my own with regards to copyright laws.  I know, for instance, that it is legal to download musical scores for free (IMSLP), if it is X many years old because the copyright is no longer in effect.  Does the same apply to recordings, (does it depend on composiion date or performance date?).  Also, what about items that are out of production? 

Fëanor

Quote from: stingo on April 02, 2009, 10:08:43 AM

That depends on the source of the download.  For example the BitTorrent download mentioned above included a few notes but no artwork.  And even for a given source, the contents can be variable.  If you download from, say, Amazon, the files usually include some "metadata", a.k.a. "tags", and often front cover art, but usually nothing like complete liner notes.

Actually, this is a pretty big topic.

Personally I'm content when the individual files contain relatively complete sets of metadata let alone artwork.  But this is the exception rather than the rule.  In any case there is so much inconsistancy that as a classical listener you will definitely want the capability to revise the tags to ensure consistancy with you own preferences.  Most computer audio players provide some facility to edit tags but they aren't all adequate in this respect.

haydnguy

I just got an email that ClassicsOnline is having a sale on all of Julie Fischer's Pentatone recordings. I checked them out and they are 50% off (MOSTLY $5.00).  8)

oops, forgot the addy:

http://www.classicsonline.com/generics.aspx?id=Julia_Fischer&utm_source=COL_News&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Julia_Fischer_banner&utm_campaign=COL_News040309

flyingdutchman

Quote from: BaxMan on April 03, 2009, 06:03:04 AM
I just got an email that ClassicsOnline is having a sale on all of Julie Fischer's Pentatone recordings. I checked them out and they are 50% off (MOSTLY $5.00).  8)

oops, forgot the addy:

http://www.classicsonline.com/generics.aspx?id=Julia_Fischer&utm_source=COL_News&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Julia_Fischer_banner&utm_campaign=COL_News040309

Despite the tempting offer, I'd rather have these in SACD.

mwb

Quote from: BaxMan on April 03, 2009, 06:03:04 AM

Sweet.  I'm most definitely taking advantage of that.  Thanks for sharing.

----------------
Listening to: Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus - Mozart: Symphony #20 In D, K 133 - 2. Andante. Neville Marriner /The Academy Of St. Martin In The Fields
- Michael

George

For What.CD members, I have made available the complete Mengelberg Beethoven Limited Edition set, in FLAC format. If you are not a member and want to become one, PM me.  :)

Dr. Dread

FOR THOSE WHO CARE:

iTunes are all "Plus" now. 256 kbps across the board.

George

Quote from: Mn Dave on April 08, 2009, 01:33:37 PM
FOR THOSE WHO CARE:

iTunes are all "Plus" now. 256 kbps across the board.

Very, very good news and a step in the right direction.  :)

Dr. Dread

Quote from: George on April 08, 2009, 01:35:16 PM
Very, very good news and a step in the right direction.  :)

Indeed. Too bad I have to pay to upgrade my albums, but at least I don't have to pay full price again.