The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loudav

Here's another 24-bit/44.1 kHz transcription using high-end analog equipment: a performance on the lyra viol by Mary Cyr, released as an LP on McGill University Records (82015) in 1983. It has not to my knowledge ever been released on CD. Mary Cyr was then an associate professor at McGill, and as of 2002 had moved onto the University of Guelph.

The lyra viol is a smaller variant on the bass viol, popular in England in the 17th century, when a distinctive repertoire of polyphonic music was written for it. More information on the instrument and its repertoire can be found in the Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, and in Wikipedia.

This is a warm, detailed recording with a rich bass resonance that befits the instrument. The LP is in immaculate condition, and there is virtually no tracking distortion at all except for a bit in the last couple of minutes of each side of the LP.

Equipment used for A/D conversion: Lyra Helikon phono cartridge, Linn LP12/Lingo turntable, Linn Ittok tonearm, Audioquest LeoPard tonearm cable, PS Audio PS2 preamplifier, Kimber PBJ interconnect, M-Audio Audiophile USB A/D converter.

Check it out at: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4845692

Enjoy!

loudav

Here's another 24-bit/44.1 kHz transcription using high-end analog equipment: a performance of five of Haydn's divertimenti for baryton, viola, and violoncello, by the Münchner Baryton-Trio. It was released on LP on the always excellent Claves label (D 609). The CD reissue is now long out of print and available only as an mp3 download, which cannot do justice to the complex tones of the recording.

The baryton is a modified viola da gamba with sympathy strings that resonate in response to the vibrations of the bowed strings. The sympathy strings produce a more complex timbre, and can also be plucked directly by the performer's thumb. The baryton never hit it big, but it was a favorite of Haydn's patron, Prince Nikolaus Esterházy, and so Haydn wrote about 175 pieces for the instrument between 1765 and 1775. More information on the baryton can be found in the Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, and in Wikipedia.

Check it out at: http://www.mininova.org/tor/2488876

Enjoy!

loudav

Here's a 24-bit/44.1 kHz transcription using high-end analog equipment of one of my most-prized LPs: a performance by Colin Tilney on the remarkable positive organ in the chapel of Knole House in Kent, England. It was released on EMI Electrola Germany in 1982 as part of their excellent Reflexe series (069-46-403), and has not to my knowledge ever been released on CD.

The organ is a Jacobean chest organ dating from around 1608, with pipes all of English Oak comprising four stops: stopped diapason (8'), principal (4'), twelfth (2 2/3'), and fifteenth (2'). The only metal in the entire organ is in the forged iron stop action, in the brass pallet springs, and in the brass key and sticker pins. 175 of the 200 pipes are original. The organ is mean-tone tuned about 1/4 tone sharp of A=440. The high tuning was needed to get it back to mean-tone after an earlier alteration to even-tempered tuning.

Check it out at: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4850230

Enjoy!

loudav

This one is a beaut! It is a 24-bit/44.1 kHz transcription using high-end analog equipment of a performance by Sigiswald Kuijken on baroque violin of J.S. Bach's first sonata and partita for solo violin. The violin was made by Giovanni Grancino circa 1700 and has been restored to baroque specifications.

The recording was engineered by Dr. Thomas Gallia, Paul Dery, and Monika Werner at Artimino Villa dei Medici in December 1981, and released as part of a 3LP set by Deutsche Harmonia Mundi in 1983 (DHL 20401.03). The CD reissue is long out of print, and used copies sell for lamentably high prices.

This is a very clear and clean recording in a moderately resonant space, bringing out every nuance of the violin's timbre. The LP is in immaculate condition, and there is virtually no tracking distortion at all. The torrent includes a zip archive with scans of the booklet notes in French from the LP set. I hope eventually to transcribe the other two LPs, so stay tuned.

Check it out at: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4852741

Enjoy!

Fëanor

Quote from: loudav on April 16, 2009, 04:08:36 PM

Check it out at: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4852741

Enjoy!

Uh-oh   :-\  According to news today, ThePirateBay principals are going to jail in Sweden for evasion of copywrite laws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bGxxrwhC38

Lethevich

Quote from: Feanor on April 17, 2009, 10:05:53 AM
Uh-oh   :-\  According to news today, ThePirateBay principals are going to jail in Sweden for evasion of copywrite laws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bGxxrwhC38

Fortunately the site will remain up for at least the near future.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Kuhlau

It's truly pathetic, watching the authorities chasing a handful of high-profile file-sharing facilitators. Soon as they shut one lot down, another lot will open up elsewhere. It's this 'fingers-in-the-dam' approach to sorting out the 'problem' of peer-to-peer networks that's galvanising people's resolve to keep on swapping stuff illegally. Quit trying to kill it, find a way to monetise it. Morons. ::)

FK

Peregrine

Quote from: Kuhlau on April 17, 2009, 01:41:52 PM
It's truly pathetic, watching the authorities chasing a handful of high-profile file-sharing facilitators. Soon as they shut one lot down, another lot will open up elsewhere. It's this 'fingers-in-the-dam' approach to sorting out the 'problem' of peer-to-peer networks that's galvanising people's resolve to keep on swapping stuff illegally. Quit trying to kill it, find a way to monetise it. Morons. ::)

FK

Eggsactly!
Yes, we have no bananas

Kuhlau

Lethevich

I hope somebody other than me saw the music industry representative interviewed on Channel 4 news earlier - it was spectacular. For some reason the music industry recruit the most foul-tempered "public relations" people I have ever witnessed. This surly fellow didn't take long before he (literaly) compared pirating music to condoning murder :D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Fëanor

Andante

FK

Hi there MrK, as someone who has never exchanged/swapped music peer to peer what program do you need to facilitate this highly contagious entreprise
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Andante

George, I have come across torrents but the set up scared me, i,e opening and closing ports, I just did not feel confident enough to continue. :-[
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Diletante

Andante, I use uTorrent. http://www.utorrent.com/
I know squat about ports and stuff, so I just downloaded it, opened it, put some torrents on and voilà, it started downloading.

Be as it may, I don't use torrents much. I prefer downloading directly from sites such as Rapidshare, Megaupload... I know some pages with a bunch of interesting links, which for obvious reasons I can't put here, but if you PM me...  ;)
Orgullosamente diletante.

George

Quote from: Andante on April 18, 2009, 06:42:56 PM
George, I have come across torrents but the set up scared me, i,e opening and closing ports, I just did not feel confident enough to continue. :-[

I have replied via Personal Message. Check your box.  :)

Andante

Guy's  thanks for the reply's. George I will answer your PM later.
I persevered with torrents set up [6.1.2.] and it did appear to open the ports with out any input from me, so far so good,  I have d/l my first work,  [dime a dozen] it took a very long time, hours, it has come through as a FLAC file,  questions:

1. If you start a d/l  and then carry on doing other things, does the d/l keep beavering away in the background until it is finished [even if you switch off PC and then switch on again next day?]

2. Are all the torrent d/l in FLAC and  that is why they take so long,
The d/l that I have made was 500GB approx for 80min the same thing in mp3 would have been about 50-70GB I do realise that FLAC packs in more detail.

3. I assume that you have to convert to burn to CD any help here would be appreciated, I am running Vista home with WMP11.

Kuhlau

Quote from: Andante on April 19, 2009, 12:22:20 PM
1. If you start a d/l  and then carry on doing other things, does the d/l keep beavering away in the background until it is finished [even if you switch off PC and then switch on again next day?]

Yes, torrents will continue to download in the background irrespective of whatever else you do on your PC or Mac - although if you're uploading files to a web server, you'll probably notice this takes considerably longer when torrents are incoming (this very much depends on your torrent client's setting, as well as your connection speeds, both up and down). If you switch off your PC, all progress halts ... but resumes once you power back up and launch the torrent client.

Quote from: Andante on April 19, 2009, 12:22:20 PM2. Are all the torrent d/l in FLAC and  that is why they take so long? The d/l that I have made was 500GB approx for 80min the same thing in mp3 would have been about 50-70GB I do realise that FLAC packs in more detail.

500GB?!!! :o What are you downloading? An entire discography? Biggest torrents I've ever hauled in were around 8GB - and yes, that takes quite a bit of time to complete. I think you must mean MB not GB. As for FLAC, you'll need to Google for information on the format - it would take up too much space to reproduce such here.

Quote from: Andante on April 19, 2009, 12:22:20 PM3. I assume that you have to convert to burn to CD any help here would be appreciated, I am running Vista home with WMP11.

Well, yes, there is a 'conversion' of sorts that takes place when you burn FLAC files to a CD-R, in as much that the digital information will get decoded. The best thing to do is install something like WinAmp, MediaMonkey or foobar2000 in order to burn the files to a CD-R. Just bear in mind that you'll need at least Nero 8 installed on your machine if you choose to burn using the last of these three very capable media players.

FK

Brian

Quote from: Kuhlau on April 19, 2009, 01:01:42 PM
500GB?!!! :o What are you downloading? An entire discography?
Must be Celibidache's Ring Cycle  >:D

George

Quote from: Brian on April 19, 2009, 01:41:53 PM
Must be Celibidache's Ring Cycle  >:D

;D

No, it's his Brahms symphony set.*

Kuhlau