The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andante

Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Opus106

Quote from: Kuhlau on April 19, 2009, 01:01:42 PM
Well, yes, there is a 'conversion' of sorts that takes place when you burn FLAC files to a CD-R, in as much that the digital information will get decoded.
FK

Is there a loss in quality or something? I actually burnt a FLAC disc for the first time yesterday, without giving a thought to whether the CD player would play it or not. Thankfully, it did.

Quote from: Brian on April 19, 2009, 01:41:53 PM
Must be Celibidache's Ring Cycle  >:D

;D ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

George

Quote from: opus67 on April 20, 2009, 06:21:46 AM
Is there a loss in quality or something? I actually burnt a FLAC disc for the first time yesterday, without giving a thought to whether the CD player would play it or not. Thankfully, it did.

There's no loss in quality, it's just that not all burning software is capable of burning straight from FLAC to CD-R. Luckily, my Toast 9 software handles this nicely. What are you using?

Opus106

Quote from: George on April 20, 2009, 06:44:19 AM
There's no loss in quality, it's just that not all burning software is capable of burning straight from FLAC to CD-R. Luckily, my Toast 9 software handles this nicely. What are you using?

Thanks, George. I use K3b.

It was my first time successfully burning FLAC to CD-R. I once tried a Mahler 6 recording... all 85+ minutes of it. Burnt a nice coaster out of it.
Regards,
Navneeth

George

Quote from: opus67 on April 20, 2009, 06:52:49 AM
Thanks, George. I use K3b.

It was my first time successfully burning FLAC to CD-R. I once tried a Mahler 6 recording... all 85+ minutes of it. Burnt a nice coaster out of it.

I'm surprised that you were even able to burn a disc longer than 80 minutes. I've never been able to.

Opus106

Quote from: George on April 20, 2009, 06:54:19 AM
I'm surprised that you were even able to burn a disc longer than 80 minutes. I've never been able to.

As I said, it wasn't a complete success. But it is possible to go beyond the time limit set by the standard CDs. Google should help you with that. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

George

Quote from: opus67 on April 20, 2009, 06:59:17 AM
As I said, it wasn't a complete success. But it is possible to go beyond the time limit set by the standard CDs. Google should help you with that. :)

Google is my friend.  0:)

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

George

Quote from: opus67 on April 20, 2009, 07:02:20 AM
Hey, mine too! ;D

I've known him way longer. Were you at his wedding? I didn't see you there!

;)

Andante

Not wishing to appear as a skinflint, is there a free program that will handle FLAC, I have the free FLAC front end on my computer but it will not load my recent d/l
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Kuhlau

All the media players I previously mentioned handle FLAC as part of their freeware* versions.

FK

*foobar2000 being free, period. ;)

Andante

I have MediaMonkey and that will not load ?  are there 2 versions also have Foobar and this will not decode either it just shows
Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported file format):
"C:\Users\Colin\Documents\10._Satie_-_Piezas_para_piano.rar"

Kuhlau

You can't play back .rar files. These are compressed items (like .zip). You need WinRAR to decompress them so you can extract the FLAC files. ;)

FK

loudav

Here is a 24-bit/44.1 kHz transcription using high-end analog equipment of  performances by Christopher Hogwood of a selection of pieces from the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book on a double virginal made by Thomas White in 1642. These performances were produced by Peter Wadland, engineered by John Dunkerley and John Pellowe, and released as a 2LP set on Editions de L'Oiseau-Lyre (D261D2) in 1982. They have not to my knowledge ever been released on CD.

These are among the best recordings of historic keyboard instruments I have ever heard. They are relatively close-mic'd in a moderately resonant space, and bring out the finer details as well as the overall sound of the instruments very nicely. The LPs from which these recordings were transcribed are in exemplary condition. In the coming days, I will be uploading further selections performed on three other English keyboard instruments of special historic interest.

Check it out at: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4861125

Enjoy!

Andante

Sorry Kuhlau, All a matter of Pilot error, I should be grounded ::)  am now playing FLAC file on Mediamonky just a matter of locating for burn.

Have converted and burned CD Success,  ;D

Opus106

Quote from: Andante on April 20, 2009, 12:27:46 PM
Not wishing to appear as a skinflint, is there a free program that will handle FLAC, I have the free FLAC front end on my computer but it will not load my recent d/l

If you ever find a[n uncorrupted] media file unplayable, even after extracting it from an archive, give VLC a try. It can handle just about every format you throw at it.
Regards,
Navneeth

Andante

nigeld

Quote from: Kuhlau on April 17, 2009, 01:41:52 PM
It's truly pathetic, watching the authorities chasing a handful of high-profile file-sharing facilitators. Soon as they shut one lot down, another lot will open up elsewhere. It's this 'fingers-in-the-dam' approach to sorting out the 'problem' of peer-to-peer networks that's galvanising people's resolve to keep on swapping stuff illegally. Quit trying to kill it, find a way to monetise it. Morons. ::)

FK

Until they do find a way to monetise it you should stop stealing it.  Freeloader   $:) 0:)
Soli Deo Gloria

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: nigeld on April 24, 2009, 02:44:55 AMUntil they do find a way to monetise it you should stop stealing it.  Freeloader   $:) 0:)
"Do not record/steal music from the radio by recording it on tapes!"
Progress. Progress has never been stopped and will never be stopped. You cannot turn back the clock. Simple.

My guess is, the "making money out of music records" business is almost dead. I'm not sure what that means for the classical genre forinstance, but mankind will survive.

Kuhlau

Quote from: nigeld on April 24, 2009, 02:44:55 AM

Until they do find a way to monetise it you should stop stealing it.  Freeloader   $:) 0:)

Thanks for sharing. Really makes me want to read your other eight posts. ::)

FK