The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco

Read today in the Wall Street Journal about a new classical download site:

New Ways to Buy Bach Online

QuoteClassical Archives, a new digital store focused exclusively on classical music, is Mr. Schwob's answer to mass-market digital retailers with "a complete lack of understanding of how classical music should be offered," down to the way they often categorize recordings. "It's basically a lack of respect when you say Bach is an 'artist,' not a composer," Mr. Schwob says.

[...]

Mr. Schwob, a businessman who is largely unknown in the insular world of orchestras and operas, has put some $4 million of his own money into the launch of Classical Archives, which is a new version of a site Mr. Schwob founded 15 years ago. His site's selling points: an emphasis on high-quality audio and a browsing system designed by musicologists (including an architect of one of the Web's most popular music services, Pandora) to satisfy aficionados and novices alike.

Maciek

From the same page (sideboard on the left):

Online Overtures
ArkivMusic

Top digital seller: Karol Szymanowski's Symphonies No. 1 & 4, conducted by Antoni Wit and performed by the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra, featuring pianist Jan Krzysztof Broja.

:o Who would have guessed?! :o

Valentino

I'm very much looking forward to the day ArkivMusic offers FLAC. mp3 won't do, sorry.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Kuhlau

Quote from: Franco on May 08, 2009, 06:52:01 AM
Read today in the Wall Street Journal about a new classical download site:

New Ways to Buy Bach Online

I got excited about this ... then realised 'highest quality' meant 320kbps MP3. Call me jaded, but Classics Online are already rolling out FLAC, and Passionato have had this format for a while.

FK

Andante

Quote from: Kuhlau on May 08, 2009, 11:14:08 AM
I got excited about this ... then realised 'highest quality' meant 320kbps MP3. Call me jaded, but Classics Online are already rolling out FLAC, and Passionato have had this format for a while.

FK

Why did you have to mention Classics on line and Passionato, I am just addicted to FLAC but only have 5GB on my BB, more expense coming up :'(
how on earth am I to justify more GB to my Wife ???
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Kuhlau

Kuhlau

BlackBerry's have in excess of 5GB of memory? :o

FK

Andante

BB= Broad Band  ::) I am on a 5GB (max) pricing plan we pay NZ$10/GB next permanent plan is 10GB so a lot more $$$ and it is just about the slowest in the whole Cosmos
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Valentino

That's 5GB per day, week or month, Andante?

I have the slowest (would that be the narrowest?) broadband in the whole cosmos. Internet radio at 160kbps just doesn't work.
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Andante

It's per month, I run Internet Radio OK, on separate wireless system, but for certain FLAC d/l it takes a while, only been able to have BB for about 18mths still a lot better than dial up,  Have just tested speed, best yet up=130kb/s    down=1400kb/s  what is yours?

Fëanor

Quote from: Andante on May 08, 2009, 04:13:49 PM
Have just tested speed, best yet up=130kb/s    down=1400kb/s  what is yours?

Your signature implies that you know it already.  ;D

Actually I'm not especially fast:

Valentino

A good moment I suppose, and (edit) a not so good one:

Latency is crap and crap.

Kuhlau

George

John Copeland

Opus106

Quote from: George on May 10, 2009, 10:26:33 AM
Time to move to NYC!  $:)

Or just to gates of his closest neighbour with super-fast wireless. >:D
Regards,
Navneeth

George

Quote from: opus67 on May 10, 2009, 10:45:09 AM
Or just to gates of his closest neighbour with super-fast wireless. >:D

No, NYC.   $:)

;)

Wanderer

You should all move to Athens. We may be ancient, but our internet is fast. Cool columns atop that hill downtown, too.  8)