The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Wanderer on May 10, 2009, 11:01:31 AM
You should all move to Athens. We may be ancient, but our internet is fast. Cool columns atop that hill downtown, too.  8)

Too bad you don't give as well as you take.  ;D

rickardg

Hey, what's with all you guys' upload speeds? I always make sure to seed generously :)

Opus106

That's impossible!  :o Seriously, did you doctor the pic, rickardg?
Regards,
Navneeth

Andante

Quote from: Feanor on May 10, 2009, 05:25:14 AM
Your signature implies that you know it already.  ;D

Actually I'm not especially bright:

Yes to the first, just checking for fibbers 0:)   I do not agree with the second [sorry] couldn't resist it ;)
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

Kuhlau

John, what are you sad about? Your download speed p***es all over mine. :(

FK

Kuhlau

I want rickardg's internet connection. :(

FK

not edward

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Wanderer

Quote from: George on May 10, 2009, 11:02:36 AM
Too bad you don't give as well as you take.  ;D

Big deal, nobody really cares about uploading, anyway...  >:D

George

Quote from: Wanderer on May 10, 2009, 02:44:04 PM
Big deal, nobody really cares about uploading, anyway...  >:D

;D

Not a member of What.CD or Waffles I see...

Teresa

Quote from: mwb on April 11, 2009, 06:21:54 AM
Yeah, I asked a few weeks ago if anyone has tried it yet.  Good to see someone now has and likes it.

I may wait for the couple of weeks for the current season to end so my year sub will include all of next season and the archives for the current and past ones that they add.

My new article "BSO's Digital Music subscription program, the bargain of the century!"  is in the new issue of Positive Feedback Online
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue43/bso.htm

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: Wanderer on May 10, 2009, 11:01:31 AMYou should all move to Athens. We may be ancient, but our internet is fast. Cool columns atop that hill downtown, too.  8)
Erm, just let me remind you the results are in Megabit/s, not Megabyte/s.
http://www.bit-calculator.com/

Opus106

Now, now, let's not get carried away. Here's the official conversion chart.

XKCD #394

Wurstwasser, 45 Mbps is fast, for the average consumer at least.
Regards,
Navneeth

Kuhlau

Opus106

Quote from: Kuhlau on May 11, 2009, 01:57:02 AM
That's brilliant. ;D

FK

It's XKCD, after all. What did you expect?

;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Wanderer

Quote from: George on May 10, 2009, 02:49:23 PM
;D
Not a member of What.CD or Waffles I see...

And proud of it.  ;D

Quote from: Wurstwasser on May 10, 2009, 08:08:47 PM
Erm, just let me remind you the results are in Megabit/s, not Megabyte/s.
http://www.bit-calculator.com/

Of course I know (as are everyone's results who took that cute little test also). But thanks for the link, it's dead useful and I'll pass it on to some mathematically (and computerly) challenged acquaintances of mine (I have a few).

PS. I like opus67's official conversion chart even better.  ;D

Lethevich

Life sucks, man, life sucks. It should actually be a little over 3 Mb/s, but my current modem hates me.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

rickardg

Quote from: opus67 on May 10, 2009, 11:44:45 AM
That's impossible!  :o Seriously, did you doctor the pic, rickardg?

Nope, I'm just lucky enough to live where there is a real Ethernet connection and not ASDL, after all, the A stands for 'Asymmetric''.

Veering decidedly off-topic: I find it interesting that most ISPs treat the net as a broadcast medium rather than a network medium, of course there is higher demand for content consumption than content production, but still, with my connection I could run a moderately popular web site or forum from home.

Oh by the way, I just realised I had the network cable disconnected and running on my old flaky wireless network. Turns out the connection is asymmetric after all

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: opus67 on May 11, 2009, 01:54:17 AMWurstwasser, 45 Mbps is fast, for the average consumer at least.
Yes, I didn't state the opposite.
I'm on a 16Mbps ADSL line, max. download speed is ~1.65MByte/s, upload 120kByte/s. Which is the "standard" package here in germany imo.