The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Like feanor, I'm also an fb2k-only user as everything else is too limited and it (there is no really "it", because it's heavily customizable) suits my workflow. Cannot live without ColumnsUI, cannotlive without the Converter interface, cannot live without auto playlists and database queries. I like software which is closer to the basics, not GUI overloaded software where you don't know exactly why something works and something doesn't.

BTW, there's also a plugin which allows playback of Apple Lossless. Personally I don't like the format because not much supported and bad decoding performance (important, if you transcode to another format).

Gurn Blanston

So, getting back to download (ahem  ::) ) has anyone here had any experience with this vendor?

http://us.7digital.com/

They are also in Europe, since I found them there first and they linked back to their US page. They have a big variety of streaming media, and MP3/AAC downloads at good prices. The latter are DRM free, the MP3's are 320kbps.

I am thinking of signing on, just curious if there are any horror stories associated with. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Teresa

Quote from: Wurstwasser on August 27, 2009, 08:03:04 PM
Interesting web site. Do they sell real 88/96k audio? I'm not sure how they are being created, because from what I know ripping from SACD is at least difficult. Or do they get the source files from the labels? Maybe there's a statement on that web site? I do not want to buy transcoded 44.1->96 audio...

Yes they are real authentic high resolution downloads and I have some mighty impressive music files from HDTracks.  Here is a statement from David Chesky from the Audio Asylum:

To all:

I just want to clarify some points about HDtracks:

- HDtracks is not Chesky Records, but rather a digital
distributor of CD-quality and hi-res music. We include many
formats and sample rates.

- HDtracks is like a music store--some albums will sound better
than others. If you buy music from labels such as Reference,
Water Lilly, Chesky, and other known audiophile labels, you are
most likely to get remarkable sonic recordings.

- HDtracks also offers recordings in hi-res formats from other
mainstream labels. When we sign these labels to HDtracks, we ask
them that their hi-res files be one-to-one copies of their own
master hi-res files.

- These can be anywhere from 44.1/24 up to 96/24. We trust our
partner labels' word, but in the event that we find that an
album accidentally gets into the hi-res store that is not native
hi-res, we immediately will remove it. We are tying to manage
the content and keep it as pure as we can and not play games
with sound.

On another note, we should not be so concerned with just looking
for energy about 22K to define hi-res. There are many instances
where you will not find high-frequency energy above 22K, even in
hi-res recordings. Certain microphones' mic pre amps and types of
music will cause a natural roll-off long before the 22K
frequency is reached. In the event that we discover that a sharp
brick wall filter is in place on one of our 88/24 or
96/24 tracks, that album will be immediately taken down from our
HD store.

I hope this clarifies things and would like to add that hi-res
files played back off hard drives can really push our industry
forward in the pursuit of better sonic quality.

Best,
David Chesky
HDtracks founder, composer, and die-hard audiophile!

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/6/60186.html
http://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=staticpage&pagename=audiophile_96khz

Fëanor

Quote from: Teresa on September 17, 2009, 06:38:01 PM
Yes they are real authentic high resolution downloads and I have some mighty impressive music files from HDTracks.  Here is a statement from David Chesky from the Audio Asylum:

Any discussion of HDtracks needs to mention that they sell only to U.S. residents -- which kinda SUCKS>:(

Brian

ClassicsOnline, Naxos' download service, is launching a pilot program of FLAC downloads today.

Fëanor

Quote from: Brian on October 02, 2009, 07:39:41 AM
ClassicsOnline, Naxos' download service, is launching a pilot program of FLAC downloads today.

Thanks for that!  :)

The only FLAC albums I was able to find with a quick look were here under Highlights: Audiophile Recordings.  There aren't very many as yet, though it's nice to see the FLAC are (mostly) the same price as the 320kpbs MP3.

(I reiterate: I categorically refuse to pay CD prices for anything less than CD quality, however FLAC does meet that criterion.)

Morigan

To all opportunistic Canadian music lovers

The Canadian iTunes store has a major tagging error right now. The DG box collection called "111 years of Deutsche Grammophon" is priced at only $9,99. This collection features 720-something tracks, all great-to-legendary DG recordings. The price of that set on the American iTunes store is $120... It's literally theft. But, hey... I paid for it! it's their mistake!  >:D

So hurry up before they notice this and change the price back to what it should be.

Valentino

Quote from: Feanor on September 18, 2009, 04:59:26 AM
Any discussion of HDtracks needs to mention that they sell only to U.S. residents -- which kinda SUCKS>:(
If you have a Paypal account it doesn't matter were you reside. :)
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Coopmv

Quote from: Valentino on October 31, 2009, 02:29:43 PM
If you have a Paypal account it doesn't matter were you reside. :)

If you are doing the direct download, I just do not see how geographical restrictions can be imposed ...

Opus106

Quote from: Coopmv on October 31, 2009, 03:21:46 PM
If you are doing the direct download, I just do not see how geographical restrictions can be imposed ...

Licensing restrictions. At least that's what they say.
Regards,
Navneeth

Fëanor

Quote from: Coopmv on October 31, 2009, 03:21:46 PM
{Re. HDTracks not permittig non-US downloads} If you are doing the direct download, I just do not see how geographical restrictions can be imposed ...

For a start, they ask for your address.

I think these other methods apply too, though somebody else might know for sure:
= IP address can be linked to a country
= Credit card numbers is linked to a specific financial institution and hence country
= Paypay reveals your address

Coopmv

Quote from: Feanor on November 01, 2009, 01:15:09 AM
For a start, for a start they ask for your address.

I think these other methods apply too, though somebody else might know for sure:
= IP address can be linked to a country
= Credit card numbers is linked to a specific financial institution and hence country
= Paypay reveals your address

I will only go for the occasional free downloads, like those I downloaded from the RCO site late last year.  I have never gone for paid downloads and there are no recordings that I am dying to get that do not exist on CD ...

Valentino

It's been a while since I bought anything from HDtracks, but when I made my account about a year ago (for paying with Paypal) I didn't have to state my address. I live in Norway.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Coopmv

Quote from: Valentino on November 01, 2009, 03:54:18 AM
It's been a while since I bought anything from HDtracks, but when I made my account about a year ago (for paying with Paypal) I didn't have to state my address. I live in Norway.

They must cut the Nordic countries a break ...    ;D

Teresa

One of the many advantages of computer audio: You can shuffle through your music collection easily anytime you want.

Plus you can sort your music files by title, artist, composer or any other way you want to.  No other format can one easily find every title in one's collection of a single composer no matter how short.  The only problem is some music files have the composers first name first instead of last name.  I fix this so the it's Last name, First name.

MN Dave

That's the way to do it, Teresa. It appears you have iTunes too.  :)

Teresa

Quote from: MN Dave on November 24, 2009, 04:16:13 PM
That's the way to do it, Teresa. It appears you have iTunes too.  :)
Hi Dave,
;)
Yes I have iTunes on a Mac Mini.  I hook it up with Monster Cable mini to two RCA's using the analog out to my tubed AMC preamp.  I will soon be reviewing some firewire DACs for Positive Feedback Online, as soon as I narrow down the ones I want to review.  I want to try these DACs so I can hear my Reference Recordings 24/176.4 HRx's in their native resolution.  Currently my core audio downsamples them to 24/96. 

I set up my music files "Info tab" as follows:

1) 1 look over the information to see how accurate it is.

2) I highlight all the music files for the album and right click: Get Info, go the Info screen and make changes.  This saves a lot of time.

3) Under "Artist" I rearrange the information so it is "conductor name, orchestra name" sometimes with downloads the conductor is missing so I look at the album cover or do a google search to find out who it is and then enter the information.

4) Under "Album Artist" I list only the "orchestra name" or if it's a compilation "various artists"

5) Under "Composer" I make sure the composers last name is first, comma and then last name.  I also make sure there are no spaces after the name as this can create two files as iTunes reads spaces as a character.

This sounds like a pain, and a lot of music files need correcting, sometimes even spelling and other errors as well.  But once it's done, it's done.

The advantage of using both "Artist" and "Album Artist" is for example using the recording from the picture above I can find all of my recordings by the New Symphony Orchestra Of London no matter who the conductor is and all those conducted by Alexander Gibson no matter what orchestra he conducts.

Fëanor

Quote from: Teresa on November 24, 2009, 04:13:15 PM
One of the many advantages of computer audio: You can shuffle through your music collection easily anytime you want.

Plus you can sort your music files by title, artist, composer or any other way you want to.  No other format can one easily find every title in one's collection of a single composer no matter how short.  The only problem is some music files have the composers first name first instead of last name.  I fix this so the it's Last name, First name.
Hummm ... well, yes, quite true.

I don't download much but I have ripped a lot.  Nowadays I rip exclusively with dBpoweramp which can pull metadata from several sources incl. Freedb and Allmusic.  However the consistency of classical metadata is extremely poor.  I always end up correcting tags using a tag editor, in my case, Tag&Rename.  Almost always I have to correct the format and spelling of the Composer's name and the Genre.  I frequently touch up the Titles, plus (if I'm ripping) I add the Label and catalogue number.

BTW, for Composer I use the format <last name>, <first name(s)> (<birth year>-<death year>) or (b.<birth year>) which ensures everything by him/her grouped in one place.

iTunes is OK; you can find what you want usually.  (Perhaps it's really the only way to go if you're Mac O/S.)  However (on Windows) I use Foobar2000 which as fully customizable Album Lists for which you can number of list sequences, (e.g. by Genre/Composer; by Artist/Album, by Genre/Album; by Composer; etc., etc., etc.).  Other players such as J.River Media Jukebox, or Media Monkey offer a lot more options than iTunes.