The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Quote from: Mark on June 13, 2007, 02:01:08 AM
Steve, it would probably be simpler to convert FLAC to MP3 and not be hampered by a parochial format like AAC, no?

Yes, it would be much simpler to do this, but when he said iTunes format, I assumed .aac.

orbital

While I was cleaning up some of my browser bookmarks earlier today, I came across this one:

http://www.recitals.alexeisultanov.ru/

If anybody is interested there are quite a few recordings of Sultanov's recitals/concerts in there.

Steve

Quote from: orbital on June 14, 2007, 07:00:28 AM
While I was cleaning up some of my browser bookmarks earlier today, I came across this one:

http://www.recitals.alexeisultanov.ru/

If anybody is interested there are quite a few recordings of Sultanov's recitals/concerts in there.

Thanks for the link.  :)

techniquest

So how do you convert flac to mp3?

Never mind - I've got it sussed.

stingo

Operas seem to be floating around usenet these days - among them (ironically enough) Boris Godunov.

Harry

Quote from: stingo on June 23, 2007, 08:06:59 AM
Operas seem to be floating around usenet these days - among them (ironically enough) Boris Godunov.

Now really! ;D

Lilas Pastia

Alan Pettersson: symphonies 3 and 15, Segerstam (BIS). Available as single file downloads for 0.99$ each at www.eclassical.com

Steve

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 24, 2007, 06:50:06 AM
Alan Pettersson: symphonies 3 and 15, Segerstam (BIS). Available as single file downloads for 0.99$ each at www.eclassical.com

I didn't realize that had Pettersoon over at eclasical. I'll be sure to pick these up!  ;D

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Steve on June 26, 2007, 10:49:43 PM
I didn't realize that had Pettersoon over at eclasical. I'll be sure to pick these up!  ;D

Also: symphonies 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, viola concerto and the very difficult (for the listener!!) 7 sonatas for 2 violins.
The symphonies are avalaible for 0.99$ or 1.99$, as they are only one or two tracks.

George

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 24, 2007, 06:50:06 AM

Thanks!! I am downloading Symphonies 8 and 10 as I type!  :)

This is exciting for me, as I have never heard this composer.  :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on June 27, 2007, 05:31:54 AM
Thanks!! I am downloading Symphonies 8 and 10 as I type!  :)

This is exciting for me, as I have never heard this composer.  :D

George, just remember to take your anti-depression meds. Oh...and give someone your belt before you begin listening. It's a good idea, too, to have a trusted person stand by to keep an eye on you that first time. (Suicide watch). Okay, you're ready now. Good luck.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 28, 2007, 01:01:40 PM
George, just remember to take your anti-depression meds. Oh...and give someone your belt before you begin listening. It's a good idea, too, to a have a trusted person stand by to keep an eye on you that first time. (Suicide watch). Okay, you're ready now. Good luck.

Sarge

;D

8 was a breeze, I am about to put on 10, I'm guessing that is a bit more sucide-inducing?  ;)

Seriously, to me intense music helps me get through and validate difficult feelings, rather than make them worse. My girlfriend seems to avoid any form of entertainment that is "depresssing," as if we can avoid our feelings.  ::)

Mark

Okay, it's a small start, but another site has begun selling very high quality downloads. I found this after just a cursory glance: MusicGiants.

orbital

Although this was posted in the old forum (by Tony if I'm not mistaken), I found out that it is still available for download for those who did not, or who werent here:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2006/12/gavrilov_on_chopin.html

Gavrilov's live Chopin nocturnes performance from 2006. Probably not to everyone's liking. But I listened to them again yesterday, and I like them very much. The op 15/ 1 and 2 in particular.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on June 28, 2007, 02:57:34 PM
;D

8 was a breeze, I am about to put on 10, I'm guessing that is a bit more sucide-inducing?  ;)

7 always gets to me...

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Quote from: orbital on June 29, 2007, 06:50:21 AM
Although this was posted in the old forum (by Tony if I'm not mistaken), I found out that it is still available for download for those who did not, or who werent here:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2006/12/gavrilov_on_chopin.html

Gavrilov's live Chopin nocturnes performance from 2006. Probably not to everyone's liking. But I listened to them again yesterday, and I like them very much. The op 15/ 1 and 2 in particular.

Thanks!

I missed that one.  :)

orbital

Quote from: George on June 29, 2007, 06:58:42 AM
Thanks!

I missed that one.  :)
Sure thing. They are special IMO. just as you think you were bored with op9/1  8)

Mozart

Can someone help me. I downloaded music, and some idiot misnamed all the files to have the wrong file extensions, and the files won't play. The solution is obviously to rename the files, but when I right click them, there is limited options, basically just to play the file not delete or copy or rename or anything. Is there anything I can do about it?

AnthonyAthletic

Have you tried clicking on the file(s) and pressing your F2 button?

Check that your files don't have more than one (dot) in there.  I have downloaded a few recordings where the file name is something like:

01 - Allegro ma non troppo.001.mp3

where it should read

01 - Allegro ma non troppo.mp3  (deleting the.001 bit) as an example

Take out the (dot) and the extra garbage before the .mp3

Its hard to say without seeing the file.  F2 should work, maybe?

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Mozart

Yes the problem is an extra dot, and f2 doesn't work :( The files named are ridiculously long and I have tried also to highlight the files and click once to rename and it just make a noise clink and does nothing. I guess its a worthless download.