The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

How good of them. Thanks for the link!
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Gurn Blanston

For new or old friends of eClassical (always a nice place to buy music), they recently began offering all their music in both 16 and 24 bit FLAC. The 16 bit is priced the same as their 320kbps MP3'S. Also includes a PDF of the liner notes, a very nice touch. Among other things they have much of the BIS catalog, and I can tell you from experience that if you ask for something they don't have, they'll have it next week. Yesterday I bought volume 8 of the Brautigam/Beethoven set in 16 bit flac with liner notes for $9 US. I have to say, that's not a bad deal at all! :)

http://www.eclassical.com/

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 21, 2011, 04:29:12 AM
For new or old friends of eClassical (always a nice place to buy music), they recently began offering all their music in both 16 and 24 bit FLAC.

Agreed. And good news, indeed.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Lethevich

The day eMusic makes the leap to lossless will be when I can finally justify going digital only :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe on January 21, 2011, 02:53:05 PM
The day eMusic makes the leap to lossless will be when I can finally justify going digital only :)
You mean the other way round, don't you?  ;) (Or were jou making a joke?!)
'The day I can finally justify going digital only will be when eMusic makes the leap to lossless.'
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Lethevich

Nothing intentional on my part, just bad stream of consciousness typing :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe on January 22, 2011, 01:26:19 AM
Nothing intentional on my part, just bad stream of consciousness typing :)

Well, Lethe is the river of forgetfulness.

RJR

While browsing through Clive Heath's reprocessed 78s I found a link to another classical download site dedicated solely to piano works. The pianists are not household names but there is a large selection of piano works, including modern composers:

Piano Society.
Listening to Heath's Moisewitsch Rach 2nd at the moment.

Andante

Quote from: Scriptavolant on June 05, 2007, 07:32:53 PM
Download music? What a shame, I would never do that!

Now that wouldn't be via To#e@ts by any chance  8)

I've downloaded enough to fill up seven/eight 5GB Cds. And something from iTunes too (Malipiero symphonies, something else).
And I won't talk about my 40-50 DVD downloaded as well. And books, a lot of books. And softwares sometimes, but not very often.
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

quark

I have downloaded quite a few great recordings from Qobuz.com, a French site which offers .mp3, .alac and .flac (sometimes HD .flac). Prices are significantly cheaper than buying the actual CD's which makes perfect sense IMO.
I was disappointed only once, with Grimaud's Reflection album.
The .flac files presented the defect that there was a fading at the end of each movement and, instead of a forte (or fff, don't know the score, there was a huge diminuendo on the very last notes of the 2nd mvt of Schumann's concerto.
But they reacted to my complaint very quickly, offering me a free download in replacement of the defective one.
A great label site for downloading is Hyperion's.

haydnguy

In case anyone is interested the Bruckner 3 & 4 by Inbal is on Amazon U.S. as a download for $2.76 each.

SonicMan46

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread or if there may be another concerning download conversions?  :-\

But I've been interested in the Doyen recordings of Faure's Piano Music - found a website and downloaded 4 *.rar archives of the 4 discs in the Erato offerings - I extracted these into 4 folders (image attached below of one of the folders - the rest look similar).

Now there is a LARGE *.flac file plus a number of others which include several w/ a *.cue extension (not sure what this means?) - my question regards the best way of converting these files into 'something' that I can put on a CD-R either as a WAV or a MP3, the latter of course would allow me to get all of these FLAC files on a single disc; now I do have software that will convert between these formats but not sure what the *.cue files are for?

Thus, what are my options - any advice would be appreciated - thanks all.   :D

DavidW

The cues are for burning the cds.  Fire up your favorite burning program and see if it's recognized Dave. :)

Andante

Traders little helper and foobar 2000 are good programs for converting to WAV
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

quark

the easiest way to burn a CD starting with the .flac image and the .cue is a freeware software called burrrn (available here: www.burrrn.net/). You just place the .cue into burrrn and push (guess what?) "Burrrn".

Lethevich

The cue contains the index points for the tracks - if you want seperate flac files to play on your computer or mp3 player, Google Medieval CUE Splitter - it's a freeware app.  You can decompress to wav by downloading flac's frontend (available on their website) - drag the flac file in and decompress it. If the cue throws up an error during any of these processes, open it in notepad check that the filename (and extension) are identical to the file. So if you covert it to wav, change the extension in the cue file to be .wav not .flac.

There are reasons why CD images like this are technically better than seperate track rips, but they're not very consumer-friendly.

SonicMan46

Thanks all for your comments on the *.flac & *.cue files - using a program on my laptop, I've converted the FLAC files in WAV just to listen on my stereo - now on disc 3 - no glitches so far; of course the conversion is into one BIG file only for each disc - will take a look this afternoon at some of the options suggested and decide what may be best for my needs! Dave  :D

Andante

With the converters that I use the only part that is used is the actual track either as 1 track (which I split using NCH WavePad sound editor) or as separate tracks, the cue file just sits in the folder, am I missing some thing?

Lethevich

Quote from: Andante on June 30, 2011, 09:12:23 PM
With the converters that I use the only part that is used is the actual track either as 1 track (which I split using NCH WavePad sound editor) or as separate tracks, the cue file just sits in the folder, am I missing some thing?

If I understand you correctly, converters/encoders can indeed only be used on the source music file, whether it's a CD image (a single track) or seperate tracks. Where the cue comes into it is to tell the playback or burning software where the transition points between tracks are - in terms of encoding the file, this is a seperate process and distinction between track points is not needed because it's a batch job in which the whole lot is converted from one format to another.

Mandryka

Download medieval cue splitter to split each FLAC file -- it's fairly obvious how it works

http://www.medieval.it/downloads/menu-id-63.html

Why not burn your CD directly from the FLAC file -- you can do this with the free version of media monkey or burnn or by installing a plugin for nero.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen