The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingo

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on July 14, 2007, 08:58:25 AM
Uploading to the host, file sizes only accepted with a 100meg limit. 

Hence the splitting of the RAR file into however many parts required.  ie a Mahler 3 at 320kbps = 180meg two files at 90meg.  An upload over 200meg, ie 210meg = a 3 file split.  100/100/10 or 70/70/70 (at the uploaders choice, not exceeding 100meg)

RAR file rejoined at the downloaders end as one file, then unarchived  ;D  Takes an age to upload though, downloads are much easier :D

I get that it needs to be split, but I thought RAR can do the splitting itself (when solid archives are used), without the need for HJSplit.

George

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on July 03, 2007, 08:38:31 PM
The files you are trying to rename could have been created with "HJSplit", Sidoze told me about this when I was downloading.  If you upload a file which is too big, many uploaders will use the program "HJSplit" to split/link the files.

So as an example you have Beethoven's 5th as a download and it reads .001.zip and .002.zip or perhaps .zip.001 and .zip.002 then you could need HJSplit to join them back together.

If you have say two files .001 & .002 in one directory, you need to run HJSplit and point it at your .001 file, HJSplit will find .001 and autofind any other subsequent files ie .002 .003 etc and rejoin the whole work back together giving you a file which is now "Joined"

Google and download HJSplit, it is a very small executable program, put this in the directory where your files are and run it against them (the .001 file)....it could be as simple as that.  Looks and sounds to me that the originator of the upload has split the file using HJSplit and not told you about it.  Hope this is the problem.

Cheers

PS If this is the case HJSplit will recreate the .rar or .zip file as joined, then you extract the rar or zip and get to your mp3's or whatever format they are in

Thanks to Anthony and PSmith, I have finally figured out this HJSplit business.

Much thanks!  :)

PSmith08

Quote from: George on July 14, 2007, 07:06:15 PM

Super.  8)

M forever

Quote from: stingo on July 14, 2007, 01:32:04 PM
I get that it needs to be split, but I thought RAR can do the splitting itself (when solid archives are used), without the need for HJSplit.

Indeed it can, and it saves both the uploader and the downloader several steps. It is also extremely easy to do. I pointed that out on Operashare, but the moderators suppressed the message. The must be part of an international HJSplit conspiracy!!!  :o

Quote from: George on July 14, 2007, 07:06:15 PM

They are great friends to have, apparently, but let me introduce you to another great friend who can help you with a lot of questions, such as HJSplit? or HJSplit for MAC?

This friend is a total insomniac, he is up all the time and apparently doesn't have anything else to do, so he usually answers your questions immediately.

He also has his own website:
www.google.com

Soundproof

Quote from: M forever on July 15, 2007, 06:17:35 AM
This friend is a total insomniac, he is up all the time and apparently doesn't have anything else to do, so he usually answers your questions immediately.

He also has his own website:
www.google.com

Ah, M forever, do you think the fact that internet connected personal computers represent the most efficient information retrieval system mankind has ever had access to will make a significant impact? How optimistic!

orbital

Quote from: Mark on June 09, 2007, 01:20:25 AM
Most plays do APE? Er, no. Most players do MP3 and WMA, some also do OGG and FLAC ... but I know of no player that does APE natively. Even Rockbox doesn't seem to support the format. :( Although, if you have one of the players which can take Rockbox, you're laughing - gapless playback is a feature of it. :)

I am happy to report that the latest release of Rockbox which I just downloaded can play APE and MPC  :)

Mark

Quote from: orbital on July 16, 2007, 01:07:54 PM
I am happy to report that the latest release of Rockbox which I just downloaded can play APE and MPC  :)

Which is terrific ... for the few models of player that currently support Rockbox. ;)

orbital

Quote from: Mark on July 16, 2007, 01:09:19 PM
Which is terrific ... for the few models of player that currently support Rockbox. ;)
Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
iriver: H100, H300 and H10 series
Apple: iPod 4th gen (grayscale and color), 5th/5.5th gen video, 1st gen Nano and Mini 1st/2nd gen (Nano 2nd gen is not supported)
Cowon: iAudio X5 (including X5V and X5L), M5 (including M5L)
Toshiba: Gigabeat X and F series (the S model is not supported)
SanDisk: Sansa E200 series (the R models are not supported)

These are the current players, which should make quite a bit of the market.

(I played Doom on my X5 the other day  ;D )

mahlertitan

Quote from: orbital on July 16, 2007, 01:11:52 PM
Archos: Jukebox 5000, 6000, Studio, Recorder, FM Recorder, Recorder V2 and Ondio
iriver: H100, H300 and H10 series
Apple: iPod 4th gen (grayscale and color), 5th/5.5th gen video, 1st gen Nano and Mini 1st/2nd gen (Nano 2nd gen is not supported)
Cowon: iAudio X5 (including X5V and X5L), M5 (including M5L)
Toshiba: Gigabeat X and F series (the S model is not supported)
SanDisk: Sansa E200 series (the R models are not supported)

These are the current players, which should make quite a bit of the market.

(I played Doom on my X5 the other day  ;D )

I was quite interested in Rockbox, but I found out very soon that it doesn't support Nano (2nd Gen), so i gave it up.

Mark

Quote from: MahlerTitan on July 16, 2007, 01:13:40 PM
I was quite interested in Rockbox, but I found out very soon that it doesn't support Nano (2nd Gen), so i gave it up.

I agree. I'd love to have Rockbox, but not a single release for Creative's DAPs? WTF? Along with Samsung's, Creative's players are the most bought and used after the iPod. Cowon and Toshiba have a miniscule market share, yet THEY have Rockbox releases? Again, WTF??? ???

orbital

non inclusion of Zen is really curious  ::) And to think that my current Rockbox theme is called ZenPod, a combination of Creative Zen and iPod  8)

Steve

Quote from: Mark on July 16, 2007, 02:55:32 PM
I agree. I'd love to have Rockbox, but not a single release for Creative's DAPs? WTF? Along with Samsung's, Creative's players are the most bought and used after the iPod. Cowon and Toshiba have a miniscule market share, yet THEY have Rockbox releases? Again, WTF??? ???

Is Rockbox an alternate firmware?

orbital

Quote from: Steve on July 18, 2007, 05:36:24 PM
Is Rockbox an alternate firmware?
Yes, an open source operating system.  A Linux for DAP's  :)

canninator

Okay, I hope this is the correct thread for this. Some time ago someone posted a link that had the entire Schoenberg catalog for download (legally) but I cannot find the post (by the Search function) or remember the link. If someone could post that link I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks

beclemund

Quote from: MahlerTitan on July 24, 2007, 04:25:42 PMcan we trade digital music here?

what i am thinking:
i've a surplus amount of digital music, and someone here might want to trade some of their files with mine. We can negotiate via PM, it's beneficial for both parties.

and transfer can be made via a file-sharing site like www.Mediafire.com

btw, i have around 80 gigs of classical music.

I think you would want to be conscious of what it is you were trading as you wouldn't want to violate the sites guidelines:

Quote from: admin on April 03, 2007, 07:40:26 PMIllegal Activity
GMG will not tolerate the discussion or promotion of any illegal activity. In particular, GMG should not be used as a means for distributing or sharing copyrighted music files. File sharing is strictly prohibited on GMG. Small music samples may be posted on the forum, but anything that contravenes copyright laws will not be acceptable behaviour.

Devising a system for trading copyrighted files could potentially jeopardize the site if it is used as the medium for contact and exchange which I imagine is why the site admin discourages that activity.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

canninator

Quote from: canninator on July 30, 2007, 04:34:36 AM
Okay, I hope this is the correct thread for this. Some time ago someone posted a link that had the entire Schoenberg catalog for download (legally) but I cannot find the post (by the Search function) or remember the link. If someone could post that link I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks

If anybody is interested, I searched and searched and finally found it here

http://www.schoenberg.at/9_webradio/jukebox_e.htm

It's all streaming now rather than downloads but you can listen to quite a lot.

mahlertitan

Quote from: beclemund on July 30, 2007, 06:10:47 AM
I think you would want to be conscious of what it is you were trading as you wouldn't want to violate the sites guidelines:

Devising a system for trading copyrighted files could potentially jeopardize the site if it is used as the medium for contact and exchange which I imagine is why the site admin discourages that activity.

of course not, do you think i would trade copyrighted music? i only meant to trade legal music.

Mozart

Why don't you just used demonoid to trade music instead of rapidshare?

mahlertitan

Quote from: MozartMobster on August 03, 2007, 01:36:39 AM
Why don't you just used demonoid to trade music instead of rapidshare?

i don't use rapidshare....

The Emperor