The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papageno

I used to buy from iTunes, but 128 kbits/s are not worth it, so if what I'm looking for isn't on eMule, Demonoid, OiNK, Mininova or ThePirateBay I just order it from Amazon.co.uk

George

Quote from: Papageno on August 12, 2007, 05:22:46 AM
I used to buy from iTunes, but 128 kbits/s are not worth it, so if what I'm looking for isn't on eMule, Demonoid, OiNK, Mininova or ThePirateBay I just order it from Amazon.co.uk

Wow, is that there standard bitrate?

I think they now have a higher bitrate option on some downloads.

Anyone know what that higher bitrate is?

Papageno

Quote from: George on August 12, 2007, 05:31:48 AM
Wow, is that there standard bitrate?

I think they now have a higher bitrate option on some downloads.

Anyone know what that higher bitrate is?

256 kbits/s only for EMI productions, still not enough though.

George

Quote from: Papageno on August 12, 2007, 05:45:07 AM
256 kbits/s only for EMI productions, still not enough though.

Especially considering that many of those EMI's can be had for less money in CD format, like in the Gemini series.  :-\

mahlertitan

the minimum for me has to be 192, but most of my music are in 320, because i converted them from ape/flac files.

sound67

Quote from: MahlerTitan on June 07, 2007, 11:09:55 AM
40 gigs on my main desktop
20 gigs on my laptop

none of the music in my collection (quality wise) is lower than 320 kbps.

And how much of that was downloaded legally?
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

mahlertitan

Quote from: sound67 on August 13, 2007, 01:14:25 PM
And how much of that was downloaded legally?

100% of course, why would i download "illegal" music? Do i want to break the law?

mahlertitan

Quote from: MozartMobster on August 03, 2007, 01:36:39 AM
Why don't you just used demonoid to trade music instead of rapidshare?

I have no desire to trade music anymore, because it has been proven to be "harmful" to GMG. BTW, i don't use Demonoid anymore, because file-sharing is slow and inadequate.

Kullervo

I uploaded this in the Now Listening thread, but it got buried under the flood of posts there, so I'm uploading it here. This is the first section of Langgaard's Lenau Moods song cycle.

Lenaustemninger (Lenau Moods), for mezzo-soprano & string quartet, BVN 138 - I. Calmly

cx

Quote from: Corey on August 14, 2007, 05:13:41 AM
I uploaded this in the Now Listening thread, but it got buried under the flood of posts there, so I'm uploading it here. This is the first section of Langgaard's Lenau Moods song cycle.

Lenaustemninger (Lenau Moods), for mezzo-soprano & string quartet, BVN 138 - I. Calmly

Thanks!

Quote100% of course, why would i download "illegal" music? Do i want to break the law?

Can someone briefly explain what "downloading illegal music" means? I was under the impression that CD's I buy in stores or online (or basically anything "in print") are not legally available for free download, but the rest is up for grabs.

--CS

mahlertitan

Quote from: CS on August 14, 2007, 09:07:55 AM
Thanks!

Can someone briefly explain what "downloading illegal music" means? I was under the impression that CD's I buy in stores or online (or basically anything "in print") are not legally available for free download, but the rest is up for grabs.

--CS
i would like a clear statement as well, but, mind you, this is an international site, and international law differs on copyright infringement.

Mark

Quote from: CS on August 14, 2007, 09:07:55 AM

In short, if it's still in print and still in copyright, then it's probably illegal to 'trade' it in any way which means royalties don't reach the artist/publisher/fat-cat record execs, etc ...

Kullervo

Just in case anyone misses it in the Now Listening thread, I've uploaded Honegger's 2nd SQ for your enjoyment.

Honegger - String Quartet No. 2 (Erato SQ)

:)

George

Quote from: Corey on August 15, 2007, 11:23:00 AM
Just in case anyone misses it in the Now Listening thread, I've uploaded Honegger's 2nd SQ for your enjoyment.

Thanks Corey!  :)

Mark

Quote from: Corey on August 15, 2007, 11:23:00 AM

Corey, what label is this on, and do you have a link to the album art? Cheers! :)

George

Quote from: Corey on August 15, 2007, 07:52:27 PM
Well, what did you think?

I will let you know, my listening pile is huge at the moment.  :)

Kullervo

Quote from: Mark on August 15, 2007, 11:55:30 PM
Corey, what label is this on, and do you have a link to the album art? Cheers! :)

and the label is Aura Classics