The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Lilas Pastia

These Honegger quartets are quite surprising. An excellent disc.

A few weeks  ago I narrowly missed a 4cd box of Honegger chamber works on Timpani. I ordered it at BRO, but it was already sold out. Now you see it, now you don't. :P

Que

Quote from: Mark on August 14, 2007, 01:12:33 PM
In short, if it's still in print and still in copyright, then it's probably illegal to 'trade' it in any way which means royalties don't reach the artist/publisher/fat-cat record execs, etc ...

Right Mark:)

But I might add that whether something is in print or not, is irrelevant - only the fact that it's covered by copyrights.
Also it is legal for a consumer to buy from a seller based in a country where the recording is out of copyright while the recording is still in copyright in his own country - as is the case with recordings past the 50 years mark (still covered by copyright in the US, no longer outside the US). But....a US consumer is not allowed to offer/sell/give the recording to others, because that would violate US copyright.

Let's face it: we are violating copyright law all the time when we upload recordings less than 50 years old for others..... :o :o  8)
Downloading something that is offered by others illegally, is however in many countries (Europe) NOT illegal.
Legally, consumers are allowed to copy recordings they own only for their own personal use, in other words: for on their own computer, or for on their own iPod, etc.

Now, isn't that a sobering thought? ;D ;D

Q

Kullervo

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on August 16, 2007, 06:27:29 AM
These Honegger quartets are quite surprising. An excellent disc.

A few weeks  ago I narrowly missed a 4cd box of Honegger chamber works on Timpani. I ordered it at BRO, but it was already sold out. Now you see it, now you don't. :P

I know the box, and I'm fairly certain it is out of print forever or an indefinite amount of time. I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.
EDIT: It's on Amazon.

Scriptavolant

As an exercise I tried to upload something too.
It happens to be GF Malipiero's First Symphony "In quattro tempi come le quattro stagioni" (Moscow Symphony Orchestra - Antonio De Almeida on Marco Polo), one of my favorite works.
For anyone interested.

I
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?324mzw2mm2m

II
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9mmtmfo01rh

III
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?51mgnqmymzb

IV
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2zeglne1qat

wtf

Mark

Quote from: wtf on August 21, 2007, 02:09:12 PM
torrents, people, torrents

Which are, in the main, illegal. Not torrents, per se, but the exchange of copyrighted content uploaded to them.

beclemund

Quote from: Mark on August 22, 2007, 12:25:47 AM
Which are, in the main, illegal. Not torrents, per se, but the exchange of copyrighted content uploaded to them.

I think he is just mentioning torrents in the context of the downloads offered in this thread as a means of faster exchange rather than free download services like rapidshare and yousendit which are not particularly fast. :)

In terms of legal issues, torrents are no more illegal than web downloads; it is the content that determines that.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

mahlertitan

Quote from: Mark on August 22, 2007, 12:25:47 AM

no, just because there are people out there who abuse Bittorent technology, doesn't make BT itself illegal, it is perfectly fine for somone to make private exchanges with another.

Mark

Quote from: beclemund on August 22, 2007, 06:08:30 AM
In terms of legal issues, torrents are no more illegal than web downloads; it is the content that determines that.

I know. I acknowledged this. ;)

Quote from: MahlerTitan on August 22, 2007, 07:52:06 AM
... it is perfectly fine for somone to make private exchanges with another.

Not if the content is copyright protected. You seem to be happy to ignore this fact. ::)

mahlertitan

Quote from: Mark on August 22, 2007, 08:28:08 AM
I know. I acknowledged this. ;)

Not if the content is copyright protected. You seem to be happy to ignore this fact. ::)

Not if the content is copyright protected. of course. :D

wtf

Quote from: beclemund on August 22, 2007, 06:08:30 AM
I think he is just mentioning torrents in the context of the downloads offered in this thread as a means of faster exchange rather than free download services like rapidshare and yousendit which are not particularly fast. :)

No, I mean illegally downloading things for free, thus saving lots of money.

Bonehelm

Quote from: MahlerTitan on August 22, 2007, 08:46:15 AM
Not if the content is copyright protected. of course. :D

Eh. Uhm Hmm. Excuse me, but I recall you posted links to Naxos streaming tracks a while back, and those ARE copyrighted, no?

Mark

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 23, 2007, 10:01:03 PM
Eh. Uhm Hmm. Excuse me, but I recall you posted links to Naxos streaming tracks a while back, and those ARE copyrighted, no?

That's perfectly okay, Bonehelm. Naxos streams extracts from its own site for free. You have to pay if you want to stream for longer than about 15 minutes, IIRC. ;)

mahlertitan

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 23, 2007, 10:01:03 PM

My friend, let me remind you that the links that i generously provided for you and the rest of people here are mere links, which means you have to hear them streaming, which means you CAN NOT download them, or make a duplicate copy, so there is no copyright issues involved.

Mark

Quote from: MahlerTitan on August 24, 2007, 07:19:00 AM
My friend, let me remind you that the links that i generously provided for you and the rest of people here are mere links, which means you have to hear them streaming, which means you CAN NOT download them, or make a duplicate copy, so there is no copyright issues involved.

Not strictly true. There are several available streaming media capture programs which make ... ahem ... 'acquiring' such streams extremely easy indeed. ;) However, I generally don't bother, as it's too time-consuming.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Mark on August 24, 2007, 08:07:47 AM
Not strictly true. There are several available streaming media capture programs which make ... ahem ... 'acquiring' such streams extremely easy indeed. ;) However, I generally don't bother, as it's too time-consuming.

and you think I didn't know about them?
Generally, i wouldn't recommend anyone doing that, because 1) like mark said, is time consuming (but with WM recorder 11.3 it's not really that much trouble anymore)
2) it's 128kbps! that is a very average bit rate.
3) Naxos sells pretty cheap recordings, why not just buy them?

Bonehelm

Quote from: Mark on August 24, 2007, 01:09:26 AM
That's perfectly okay, Bonehelm. Naxos streams extracts from its own site for free. You have to pay if you want to stream for longer than about 15 minutes, IIRC. ;)

There you go. The music MT has given to the public has no time limit while streaming. You can listen to the entire Mahler 3 (which is 95 minutes or so long) without having to pay a single buck.

That is not to say I don't appreciate MT's work and generosity, I think he really wants to contribute. But I just stopped using those links the moment I found out Naxos requires payment after 15 minutes of streaming.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 24, 2007, 10:55:04 PM
There you go. The music MT has given to the public has no time limit while streaming. You can listen to the entire Mahler 3 (which is 95 minutes or so long) without having to pay a single buck.

That is not to say I don't appreciate MT's work and generosity, I think he really wants to contribute. But I just stopped using those links the moment I found out Naxos requires payment after 15 minutes of streaming.
oooooooh, how big of you!  yeah sure, whatever you want, btw, did you know that they used to be entirely free... those were the good days.

Let me remind you once more, that Naxos is recording company, they make their money by selling records, and NAXOSMUSICLIBRAY is a very generous contribution made by them (NAXOS) to the academic world also. In other words, don't see NAXOSMUSICLIBRAY as a mere money making scheme like itunes or emusic, but rather see it as what it is- an online library for all to use (geez, i wonder why can't they let people download the recordings, they'll make more money that way, why not?), most people probably don't even know about the site (before i mentioned it), because it's really has been solely confined within the academic circles. I learned of this marvelous site via my involvement with the music program at my university. Let me tell you this, of the some 50000 people at my school, anyone who is a student/faculty member can access this great resource for FREE! So, my friend, they (Naxos) are not doing this for all just the money, you see, and i am not giving you all the links just for "wanting to contribute", i merely want to share it with the world.

so don't give me that (15 minutes of streaming) crap, there ain't any violations against the copyright laws, because no one including (you or me or anyone else i have given the links to) hold ACTUAL copies. Plus, without me, you can't access anymore than what i have given to you. That's like less than 1% of what NaxosMusiclibrary has? PLUS, it is absolutely okay, for me a member, to share links with other people, in fact Naxosmuscilibrary actually PROVIDES links for me to share with other people. If you don't believe me go become a premium member, you'll see.

btw, my intentions to 'lend' my links to you was solely to get you to know little more about Mahler, looks like my job is done here, so you can delete (if you haven't done so already, god forbid! it's illegal) the links, it will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

-MT

Bonehelm

Quote from: MahlerTitan on August 24, 2007, 11:04:27 PM
oooooooh, how big of you!  yeah sure, whatever you want, btw, did you know that they used to be entirely free... those were the good days.

They used to be completely free, yes. I remember going through all Chopin etudes played by Idil Biret in a single morning without being stopped. But they were always streamed at 128kbps. That, is a shame.