The Classical Download Thread

Started by Mark, June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahlertitan

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 24, 2007, 11:07:09 PM
They used to be completely free, yes. I remember going through all Chopin etudes played by Idil Biret in a single morning without being stopped. But they were always streamed at 128kbps. That, is a shame.

it's not their fault that they can't make it free 128 for everyone, because their bandwidth is limited, and to keep that kind of bandwidth going, they'll need financial contributions from users and academic institutions.

Bonehelm

Quote from: MahlerTitan on August 24, 2007, 11:04:27 PM
oooooooh, how big of you!  yeah sure, whatever you want, btw, did you know that they used to be entirely free... those were the good days.

Let me remind you once more, that Naxos is recording company, they make their money by selling records, and NAXOSMUSICLIBRAY is a very generous contribution made by them (NAXOS) to the academic world also. In other words, don't see NAXOSMUSICLIBRAY as a mere money making scheme like itunes or emusic, but rather see it as what it is- an online library for all to use (geez, i wonder why can't they let people download the recordings, they'll make more money that way, why not?), most people probably don't even know about the site (before i mentioned it), because it's really has been solely confined within the academic circles. I learned of this marvelous site via my involvement with the music program at my university. Let me tell you this, of the some 50000 people at my school, anyone who is a student/faculty member can access this great resource for FREE! So, my friend, they (Naxos) are not doing this for all just the money, you see, and i am not giving you all the links just for "wanting to contribute", i merely want to share it with the world.

so don't give me that (15 minutes of streaming) crap, there ain't any violations against the copyright laws, because no one including (you or me or anyone else i have given the links to) hold ACTUAL copies. Plus, without me, you can't access anymore than what i have given to you. That's like less than 1% of what NaxosMusiclibrary has? PLUS, it is absolutely okay, for me a member, to share links with other people, in fact Naxosmuscilibrary actually PROVIDES links for me to share with other people. If you don't believe me go become a premium member, you'll see.

btw, my intentions to 'lend' my links to you was solely to get you to know little more about Mahler, looks like my job is done here, so you can delete (if you haven't done so already, god forbid! it's illegal) the links, it will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

-MT

I don't know, copyright laws in the US might be different from Canada. So to be safe, I am still not going to use those links. Those recordings aren't even good anyways, compared to what PerfectWagnerite gave me, the full Kubelik set.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 24, 2007, 11:44:47 PM
I don't know, copyright laws in the US might be different from Canada. So to be safe, I am still not going to use those links. Those recordings aren't even good anyways, compared to what PerfectWagnerite gave me, the full Kubelik set.

i am not sure that's entirely legal.

Now, while the overall quality of the recordings on NAxos can be inconsistent, but I assure the people out there, that the recordings i picked are the best of the bunch.  To top it off, Gielen's Mahler's 1st is one of the finest out there, and rarely people talk about it.

and just in case you don't believe me, you can read the reviews here:
http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=6637

Bonehelm

Quote from: MahlerTitan on August 24, 2007, 11:51:41 PM
i am not sure that's entirely legal.

Now, while the overall quality of the recordings on NAxos can be inconsistent, but I assure the people out there, that the recordings i picked are the best of the bunch.  To top it off, Gielen's Mahler's 1st is one of the finest out there, and rarely people talk about it.

and just in case you don't believe me, you can read the reviews here:
http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=6637

ROFL, how can PW's Kubelik be illegal? It's the actual set we're talking about, he mailed me the goddamn original disks with the original box with perfect packing. I made a post about it and posted pics a while back.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 24, 2007, 11:58:52 PM
ROFL, how can PW's Kubelik be illegal? It's the actual set we're talking about, he mailed me the goddamn original disks with the original box with perfect packing. I made a post about it and posted pics a while back.

in that case, you should have said that he mailed you the entire cycle, i was mislead by your "gave", because nowadays, with the technology we got, "Gave" can mean many things.

Bonehelm

Quote from: MahlerTitan on August 25, 2007, 12:03:37 AM
in that case, you should have said that he mailed you the entire cycle, i was mislead by your "gave", because nowadays, with the technology we got, "Gave" can mean many things.

Uh huh. Like I gave a damn, for example.

Kullervo

Inspired by the Ruggles thread, I've uploaded an excellent but now-OOP disc of American early modernist orchestral pieces by Ives, Ruggles and Ruth Crawford-Seeger, by Christoph von Dohnanyi leading the Cleveland SO.

You can download it here.

Bonehelm

Quote from: Corey on August 29, 2007, 08:34:52 AM
Inspired by the Ruggles thread, I've uploaded an excellent but now-OOP disc of American early modernist orchestral pieces by Ives, Ruggles and Ruth Crawford-Seeger, by Christoph von Dohnanyi leading the Cleveland SO.

You can download it here.

Very nice...thanks Corey. :)

George

Quote from: Mark on June 03, 2007, 02:04:37 PM
Like it or not, the music industry is focusing its efforts more and more on the distribution and sale of digitally compressed (and, in some cases, uncompressed) music. Or 'downloads', to use common parlance. As broadband speeds increase and computer hard drives become larger - and as familiarity with new technologies becomes steadily more demographically widespread – we're entering a new musical age: one that will undoubtedly benefit the classical music industry in particular.

This thread is intended as a place to discuss downloads, the technologies involved, and where to get the best or most interesting deals. What follows is a brief summary of this thread (now eight pages long), including links that will help new and experienced users of downloads to get more out of this new way of buying and enjoying music.

PLACES TO BUY DOWNLOADS

iTunes Music Store

For iPod users who have the iTunes software installed on their computers, iTunes Music Store is a seamless and simple way to buy and download music from a selection of tracks that runs into the millions. Be advised, however, that you MUST own an iPod if you want to transfer the music bought at iTunes onto a portable device. Music downloaded from this site comes in AAC and Apple Lossless formats, both of which place restrictions on what you can do subsequently with the tracks you've bought.

eMusic

eMusic is fast-becoming the biggest challenger to iTunes Music Store is terms of sales and popularity. All music downloaded from this site is in the universally accepted MP3 format, contains NO Digital Rights Management (DRM) – so you can do what you like with the tracks you buy – and is of high enough quality for PC or portable device listening purposes. Be advised that you need to sign up for a subscription package to use this site, but you can cancel this at any time.

eClassical

This classical-only download store also sells tracks in MP3 Format, but works with just four independent labels. However, buying from here is extremely simple, particularly if you have PayPal: you can purchase and download music without a subscription, and you don't even have to register.

TO BE CONTINUED ... ;)

EDIT: June 18th - I'm in the process of revising the start of this thread to make it more useful to those unfamiliar with the business of downloading and its attendent technologies.

Familiar with this one Mark?

Legal Sounds.com

George

Que

Quote from: George on September 07, 2007, 05:45:24 AM
The price/bitrate sure looks right.  :-\

Looks Russian. I remember reading about it - something about loopholes/discrepancies with other countries in Russian copyright law, which they use.

Q

Maciek

Quote from: Que on September 07, 2007, 08:39:56 PM
Looks Russian.

It is:

Quote from: http://www.legalsounds.com/LegalInfoLegal Info
All the materials in the LegalSounds.com music service are available for distribution via Internet according to license ЛС-3М-05-09 of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society. Under the license agreement, LegalMedia pays license fees for all the materials subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All the materials are available solely for personal use. Further distribution, resale or broadcasting is prohibited.

Russian materials in Russain Music Collection of LegalSounds.com music service are available for distribution via Internet according to license agreement with OOO "Kontent i pravo"

Que

Quote from: Que on September 07, 2007, 08:39:56 PM
Looks Russian. I remember reading about it - something about loopholes/discrepancies with other countries in Russian copyright law, which they use.

Q

They might be quite illegal after all... ;D
(No wonder for those prices.  8))

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/08/06/dodgy-russian-music-pirates-make-a-comeback/

BTW if they are illegal, under European law nobody that buys from them would be breaking the law (the selling/distributing would be illegal, not the buying). Don't know about US law.

Q

Mark

When Allofmp3 got closed down (it's due to reopen, however, as it doesn't break Russian law), buyers in the US and UK were warned it was illegal to download from their site. I'd imagine something similar would be the case here? ???

Que

Quote from: Mark on September 08, 2007, 02:11:37 AM
When Allofmp3 got closed down (it's due to reopen, however, as it doesn't break Russian law), buyers in the US and UK were warned it was illegal to download from their site. I'd imagine something similar would be the case here? ???

I's a complicated issue Mark. Don't know if the UK has chosen such a though approach against the consumer who downloads, maybe your'e only breaking the law if you are ware of the illegal nature? Here (Netherlands) the consumer goes free if he only downloads for personal use and doesn't distibute it any further. Seems a sensible approach.

To comlicate matters further, it might well be that there is a discrepancy between Russian law and internatial copyright law. But this is not my field of expertise. 8)

Q

Maciek

I think UK laws are generally more strict when it comes to copyright issues than laws in other EU countries (for example, until recently it was illegal to rip discs to mp3 for personal use in the UK, IIRC).

Lilas Pastia

Interesting downloads of violin and orchestra music by Xenakis, Berio and Mira Fornés available for 2.97$ at eclassical

From this disc:

Kullervo

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 13, 2007, 05:45:34 AM
Interesting downloads of violin and orchestra music by Xenakis, Berio and Mira Fornés available for 2.97$ at eclassical

From this disc:

Is that a Miró on the cover?

Lilas Pastia

The one and only.

I suspect fellow catalan Miguel Anfgel Mira Fornés is the reason behind the choice.