Guastavino's Getaway

Started by Ken B, March 16, 2014, 11:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

A search revealed not one mention of Guastavino on GMG.

But this is good

[asin]B00165QOOO[/asin]

Melodic, mildly Ravelian, mildly Granadosian.

Brian

Well, if nobody else wants to talk Guastavino, I will, Ken! I just listened to his clarinet sonata on a new Chandos CD and it's a wonderful, lyrical work. Now I'm trying some piano music from that box you posted above.

The clarinet sonata is not is not as overtly Argentinian as, say, Piazzolla, but you can hear it a bit in some of this piano music.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on June 03, 2016, 06:30:15 AM
Well, if nobody else wants to talk Guastavino, I will, Ken! I just listened to his clarinet sonata on a new Chandos CD and it's a wonderful, lyrical work.

Cool.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Martha Argerich and Mauricio Vallina have recorded the Tres romances argentinos (for two pianos). It's exactly as beguiling as it sounds like it could be.

Atriod

Suggestions for albums that comprise of mostly Guastavino solo keyboard or 4 hands?

This was enjoyable:

Florestan

Quote from: Zauberschloss on October 04, 2023, 05:50:05 AMSuggestions for albums that comprise of mostly Guastavino solo keyboard or 4 hands?

This was enjoyable:

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Scion7

Some of his chamber music.
The pieces for Clarinet & Piano are out there, along with the "Introducción y Allegro" for Flute & Piano.
So is the "3 Romances" orchestral work, on an obscure label, by Orquesta Sinfonica Nacional de Rosario, conducted by Nicolas Rauss.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."