Author Topic: Hey!, It's the Nancy Van de Vate Thread!!  (Read 7094 times)

Offline torut

• Veteran member
Re: Hey!, It's the Nancy Van de Vate Thread!!
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 09:00:28 PM »
Thanks for the interesting info, pjme. English wikipedia does not contain much info about her. I like the piano sonata. It seems that her strength lies in orchestral works, but they sound too heavy to me.

Is she an American composer, or Austrian composer, as categorized in the composer index thread? It is difficult to me to grasp her music. She was born in 1930 in NJ, and before moving to Vienna in 1982, she lived in Hawaii (1975-1982) and in Indonesia (1982-1985), where she got interested in Asian music, especially Indonesian gamelan. The influence is not apparent in the works composed during or after the period. However, some pieces, for example, Music in Five, Three and Seven (2001) for saxophone quartet, have rather straightforward resemblance to Asian music.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/myMztN61wNQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/myMztN61wNQ</a>

Offline torut

• Veteran member
Re: Nancy Van de Vate's Pronouciation Paradox
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 09:13:18 PM »
Agreed. I have a massive library of 20th-century and contemporary composers, and this thread is the first I've ever heard of Van de Vate.
I found her name in American Music in the Twentieth Century by Gann, in which she was treated as one of the important New Tonality/Romanticism composers, among Crumb, John Coolidge Adams, Rzewski, and Druckman.

pjme

Re: Hey!, It's the Nancy Van de Vate Thread!!
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 11:20:16 PM »
Nancy is an interesting figure. Any (wo)man helping/promoting female composers deserves attention.
As a composer, in my humble opinion, I find her almost...nondescript...if I may say so.
propably her music is well made. But "frissons"... ? no, it leaves me cold.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:33:19 AM by pjme »

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • A vajda az én dolgom, és az üzlet jó.
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 01:57:52 AM »
,,, among Crumb, John Coolidge Adams, Rzewski, and Druckman.

Who?    ;)
The Germans, who make doctrines out of everything, deal with music learnedly; the Italians, being voluptuous, seek in it lively, though fleeting, sensations; the French, more vain than perceptive, manage to speak of it wittily; and the English pay for it . . . - Stendhal

Offline torut

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 10:42:11 AM »