In search of....

Started by goboenomo, June 03, 2007, 07:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goboenomo

I just heard this piece on the radio on my way home from dropping off my girlfriend.
My mom said it's a theme from the movie Platoon.
It's a slow, sad piece. I just loved it. Does anyone know the name, and have a recording of it?

Novi

Barber's Adagio for Strings?
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Mark

Gobo, are you serious? (Welcome back, btw. :))

Are you telling me you've never heard Barber's Adagio for Strings - which was originally part of one of his string quartets? Yes, it is sad, slow and very beautiful. The first time I heard it, however, was in its Agnus Dei choral version. It sounded to me like what I imagine a heavenly choir might sing. You should hear it.

Mozart

Haha I even know that one dude.

knight66

I first heard the piece in a concert with the Philharmonia and John Pritchard conducted it. It crept out of silence and just gripped us, that first hearing was overwhelming.

Years later we sang the Agnus Dei version as part of an all night vigil in St Mary's Cathedral Edinburgh. Prepared in haste, we were almost sight singing it. What we had not been advised of was that there would be no illumination in the choir stalls apart from one standard lamp with a 100 watt bulb. The entire cathedral was solely lit by this one lamp. We could see the conductor, but not the music or even each other. I cannot imagine a more approximate performance of the piece.....after murdering several other pieces, during one of which general hysteria broke out, (Try Britten's Rejoice in the Lamb in the dark when you don't really know it.), we slunk off to be replaced by a choir that had torches with it....their conductor had clearly been better prepared in the vitals of the arrangements.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Novi

Quote from: knight on June 09, 2007, 12:42:35 PM
I first heard the piece in a concert with the Philharmonia and John Pritchard conducted it. It crept out of silence and just gripped us, that first hearing was overwhelming.

Years later we sang the Agnus Dei version as part of an all night vigil in St Mary's Cathedral Edinburgh. Prepared in haste, we were almost sight singing it. What we had not been advised of was that there would be no illumination in the choir stalls apart from one standard lamp with a 100 watt bulb. The entire cathedral was solely lit by this one lamp. We could see the conductor, but not the music or even each other. I cannot imagine a more approximate performance of the piece.....after murdering several other pieces, during one of which general hysteria broke out, (Try Britten's Rejoice in the Lamb in the dark when you don't really know it.), we slunk off to be replaced by a choir that had torches with it....their conductor had clearly been better prepared in the vitals of the arrangements.

Mike

At least the audience couldn't see you either ...
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

knight66

It would have been better they saw us than heard us. But to an extent we covered our embarrassment, as none of the choirs were announced in any way.

Mike

greg

haven't seen you in a while!

knight66

I have been out of town for a while....hoping to stick around now.

Mike

Steve

Quote from: knight on June 09, 2007, 03:12:26 PM
I have been out of town for a while....hoping to stick around now.

Mike

;D