Author Topic: Leonard Bernstein conducting  (Read 50427 times)

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
Re: Leonard Bernstein conducting
« Reply #280 on: November 30, 2014, 03:49:01 AM »
There is only one Vienna/Bernstein Beethoven cycle for all I know (unless there is a different one for video/Laserdisc, I always assumed they were identical). The sound is not (and never has been) all that great (live, and DG hardly ever had great sound) and of the recordings I have heard I do prefer the NYPO. But the Vienna certainly has its admirers.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #281 on: November 30, 2014, 09:31:26 AM »
...the "Philharmonia Orchestra" ( :-\)...

No need to put quotations around the name. The Philharmonia is as legit as any orchestra out there. Here's their Wikipedia page. Just in case you were wondering... 

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #282 on: November 30, 2014, 09:51:50 AM »
No need to put quotations around the name. The Philharmonia is as legit as any orchestra out there. Here's their Wikipedia page. Just in case you were wondering...
Next you'll be telling me there's a real ensemble called the "Cleveland Orchestra"  ::) ::)

;)

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #283 on: November 30, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »
Next you'll be telling me there's a real ensemble called the "Cleveland Orchestra"  ::) ::)

;)
:P
Quote from: Frasier Crane
No-one would ever pretend to be from Cleveland.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #284 on: November 30, 2014, 01:16:13 PM »
"The Third Eye" classical music guide raves about the Vienna Bernstein Beethoven (maybe a different cycle?).

Sometimes the Third Ear, Penguin, Gramophone, ARG, Fanfare, etc. are wrong.

From the Vienna/DG cycle I have only heard the 9th, which is quite good, though not among my absolute favorites. His 1989 Berlin Wall performance was my favorite for a long time, but I haven't listened to it since I got Fricsay and Jochum.

Ken B

« Reply #285 on: November 30, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »
Sometimes the Third Ear, Penguin, Gramophone, ARG, Fanfare, etc. are wrong.

Indeed. Only though when they disagree with me.

The Philharmonia was a recording orchestra formed by Walter Legge. In the 50s they were one of the very best in the world.

As we say in Ontario, anyone who admits he is from Cleveland is actually from Buffalo.

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #286 on: November 30, 2014, 05:45:34 PM »
Indeed. Only though when they disagree with me.
;D

Anyway, thanks, all, for the information.  I should have been more careful in my post (especially embarrassed about typing "third eye" for "third ear"--a publication I really like, btw, and one I sorely wish would be updated).
It's all good...

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #287 on: November 30, 2014, 10:56:38 PM »
Anyway, thanks, all, for the information.  I should have been more careful in my post (especially embarrassed about typing "third eye" for "third ear"--a publication I really like, btw, and one I sorely wish would be updated).

If a "Philharmonia" big box ever comes out, grab it! ;)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

• Veteran member
« Reply #288 on: November 30, 2014, 10:59:37 PM »

;)

I coulda sworn...I've been wrong before, though...

Ken B

« Reply #289 on: December 01, 2014, 08:40:03 AM »

;)
I know there is! I've seen Sarge vote against it!

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #290 on: December 01, 2014, 08:44:09 AM »
I know there is! I've seen Sarge vote against it!
I don't think he voted in favour of its banishment, though.  :laugh:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #291 on: December 09, 2014, 08:34:37 AM »
It turns out I may have been unduly harsh towards the Beethoven 1 & 3.  I realized tonight that the recording level of the disc is unusually low.  I sometimes get carried away with the volume and bother the neighbors, so I try not to fiddle with it much.  It turns out this disc needs to be turned up several more notches to be at the same volume I usually listen at.  Making that adjustment it definitely regained a little excitement, although it's still probably not in my top 10. 
It's all good...

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #292 on: December 09, 2014, 12:25:06 PM »
Yes, I only have about two discs from this Vienna Beethoven set (in the edition with the white covers and b/w Lennie photos) and when I first got the one with the Eroica I also had new speakers recently installed and thought something was wrong with them because I had to crank up the volume considerably....
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)