Leonard Bernstein conducting

Started by PerfectWagnerite, June 04, 2007, 07:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

I am a big Lenny fan and have grown to appreciate many of his recordings over the years. What are some of your favorite Lenny recordings that you think are essential ?

I can think of (all from his SONY era):

The 12 London Symphonies
The Dvorak 9th
The Copland Recordings
and of course the Mahler recordings.

Todd

I prefer his DG Mahler (the third cycle; I haven't heard the second cycle on DVD yet).  Otherwise I tend to prefer his CBS recordings: Sibelius, Haydn, Dvorak, Bartok Violin Concertos with Issac Stern, DSCH piano concertos, Stravinsky.  His DG recordings of Ives and Harris and Schuman and Schumann symphonies have their merits too.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Anne

I like the Bernstein/CSO recording of Shostakovich's 7th sym.

PerfectWagnerite

I have that on order, courtesy of a resounding affirmitive review by Dr. Henning.

beclemund

I have the 2001 DG re-issue of his Beethoven's 9th and Missa Solemnis live recordings from '79/'80. It's quite good. The only other Missa I own is Gardiner's from a decade later. And among a half dozen 9ths, this is the one I go to most often...

Other than that, Lenny doesn't make any appearances in my modest library. I may have to listen to his Mahler cycles...
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

dirkronk

I swear we had a thread about this on the old board. Still, OTTOMH...

On CBS/Sony, mostly with NYP:

Saint-Saens Bacchanale from Samson & Delila (on various compilations, both LP and CD--I have the Royal Edition of Ballet Music from the Opera). This is, quite simply, the most convincing and evocative version of this warhorse that I've ever heard, both in pacing and interpretive phrasing. Hoochie-koochie music at its absolute best...and a real thrill ride in the swirl of the final pages. (The rest of the stuff on the disc ain't bad, either!)

Most American conductors' work--Schuman, Barber, Copland, Gershwin, pretty much all you can find are well worth hearing and having. And of course, Lenny's own music; I find his renditions of his show music (On the Town, Westside Story, etc.) to be especially convincing and enjoyable, but that's not to distract from his formal symphonic works.

Beethoven symphony #3 (several of his performances from the LvB cycle are quite good, but the searing first movement of this Eroica has kept it from being culled from my LP collection for several decades now).

Shostakovich symphony #5--the classic 1959 version has always been my preference, and I still think it merits high recommendation. However, recent posts have me curious to hear the more recent transfers of the live late-70s version. On the original early-digital LP and the first CD transfers, the bass was impressive but overall the sonics were hideously shrill to my ears... sadly, since it's a very exciting rendition; I'm hoping that reports that the sonics are now acceptable are true.

On DGG:

LvB sym. 9 (VPO live c.1980—Jones, Schwarz, Kollo, Moll)--this, along with his LvB 6th, seem especially worthy to my ears.

Bizet Carmen—Manhattan Opera Orch (I'm not a big opera listener, just the opposite really, but a friend got me hooked on Carmen via this recording; now, even though I've found other performances I like perhaps as well, this remains a favorite)

Shostakovich sym. 1 & 7—Chicago SO

I'll probably think of more later, but I urge you not to miss these.

Dirk

MishaK

In addition to the rightly recommended CSO Shosty, I would add that Lenny's recordings of the American classics with the NYPO are essential listening: Copland's Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, Billy the Kid, etc.; Grofé's Grand Canyon Suite; Ives Symphonies. I am not always convinced by his Mahler, but I would have to say that his Mahler songs with the VPO and Thomas Hampson are a top recommendation.

johnshade

Inspired versions of essential Bartok. Well recorded.
The sun's a thief, and with her great attraction robs the vast sea, the moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire she snatches from the sun  (Shakespeare)

Iago

Quote from: dirkronk on June 04, 2007, 09:45:16 AM

Bizet Carmen—Manhattan Opera Orch (I'm not a big opera listener, just the opposite really, but a friend got me hooked on Carmen via this recording; now, even though I've found other performances I like perhaps as well, this remains a favorite)

I don't know if either you or your friend is misinformed, but what the hell is the "Manhattan Opera Orchestra" doing in this discussion? I guess you mean the "Metropolitan Opera Orchestra"? The Manhattan Opera Orchestra was a pickup group playing in the pit at the Salmaggi Opera in lower Manhattan. Its full roster consisted of about 15 players. Somehow or other I don't think that Leonard Bernstein would lend his talents to such a group, nor do I think that such a recording would impress you or your friend very much.
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

Iago

I recommend

1)the Brahms Sym #2, with the Academic Festival Overture on DG with the VPO
2) Sibelius Sym #1 - on DG with the VPO

3)Grofe - Grand Canyon Suite- NYP- Probably on SONY Essential Classics by now

4) A disc devoted to Military Marches. -NYP-Most by Sousa, but including some excerpts from movie soundtracks - CBS- SONY

5) Berlioz - Excerpts from "Romeo and Juliet" - NYP- CBS. Too bad he didn't record the entire work

6) Stravinsky "The Rite of Spring"- NYP (his first recorded version)- Don't know where you can  get it by now., Vastly SUPERIOR to ANY of his other recorded versions.

7) Mahler Sym #2- Given in CBS studios the weekend of the JFK Assassination. Was on TV. But I'm sure some audio recording exists somewhere. Lenny in tears, leading the NYP, Lucine Amara and Jennie Tourel.

Iago

It would have been interesting to hear Lenny conduct the "Philharmonia Orchestra". During his life it was one of the worlds great orchestras,
I don't think he ever conducted them and certainly didn't make any recordings with them.

Hector

Quote from: BorisG on June 04, 2007, 08:43:25 PM

This is the only CD I have owned that self-destructed probably because of the stupid packaging. It is not housed in a jewel case.

I bought it for the Roussel, one of the 3 or 4 greatest performances on disc. Bernstein had a real love for this music.

I, also, bought it for Rugby but don't play it anymore (to old) ;)

Mahler's 1st with the Concertgebouw on DG; Shostakovich's 7th, live on DG; Mahler's 6th on DG; both his Symphonie Fantastiques in NY and France and Copland's Organ and 3rd symphonies which I do not think have been equalled by any other. For starters.

Bogey

Looks as though we enjoy some of the same recordings PW:

(#40 is repeated here)

and of course:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Daverz

Sorry for the big dump.  If something is missing, it may be that I simply haven't heard it.

Barber, Samuel  Violin Concerto Sony Classical (with Stern)
Bartók, Béla    Concerto for Orchestra  Sony Classical
Bartók, Béla    Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta      Sony Classical
Beethoven, Ludwig van   String Quartet No 14 in C sharp minor (version for string orchestra)    Deutsche Grammophon
Beethoven, Ludwig van   String Quartet No 16 in  F major (version for string orchestra) Deutsche Grammophon
Beethoven, Ludwig van   Symphonies (9)  Deutsche Grammophon
Berlioz, Hector Harold en Italie        Sony Classical (with Lincer)
Berlioz, Hector Symphonie Fantastique   Sony Classical (1963; haven't
heard 1968)
Diamond, David  Symphony No 4   Sony Classical
Falla, Manuel de        El amor brujo   Odyssey
Foss, Lukas     Time Cycle      Sony Classical
Goldmark, Karl  Rustic Wedding Symphony Sony Classical
Harris, Roy     Symphony No 3   Sony Classical
Haydn, Franz Joseph     Missa in Tempore Belli in C major       Philips
Haydn, Franz Joseph     Symphonies Nos  82-87, "Paris"  Sony Classical
Hindemith, Paul Concert Music for Strings and Brass     Sony Classical
Hindemith, Paul Symphonic Metamorphosis of Themes by Carl Maria von Weber       Sony Classical
Hindemith, Paul Symphony in E flat major        Sony Classical
Hindemith, Paul Violin Concerto Sony Classical (with Stern)
Honegger, Arthur        Rugby   Sony Classical
Ives, Charles   Central Park in the Dark        Sony Classical
Ives, Charles   Holidays        Sony Classical
Ives, Charles   Symphony No 2   Sony Classical
Ives, Charles   Symphony No 3   Sony Classical
Ives, Charles   The Unanswered Question Sony Classical
Liszt, Franz    Faust Symphony  Sony Classical
Lopatnikoff, Nikolai    Concertino for Orchestra        Sony Classical
Mahler, Gustav  Symphony No  1 in D major       Deutsche Grammophon
Mahler, Gustav  Symphony No  2 in C minor       Sony Classical (NYP,
not LSO)
Mahler, Gustav  Symphony No  3 in D minor       Deutsche Grammophon
Mahler, Gustav  Symphony No  3 in D minor       Sony Classical
Mahler, Gustav  Symphony No  5 in C sharp major Deutsche Grammophon
Mahler, Gustav  Symphony No  6 in A major       Deutsche Grammophon
Mahler, Gustav  Symphony No  7 in E minor       Sony Classical
Milhaud, Darius La Création du Monde    EMI
Milhaud, Darius Le Boeuf sur le toit    EMI
Milhaud, Darius Les Choéphores  Sony Classical
Nielsen, Carl   Symphony No 3   Sony Classical
Nielsen, Carl   Symphony No 5   Sony Classical
Piston, Walter  The Incredible Flutist Suite    Sony Classical
Ravel, Maurice  Alborada del Gracioso   Sony Classical
Ravel, Maurice  Boléro  Sony Classical
Ravel, Maurice  Daphnis et Chloé Suite No 2     Sony Classical
Ravel, Maurice  La Valse        Sony Classical
Ravel, Maurice  Rapsodie espagnole      Sony Classical
Respighi, Ottorino      Pines of Rome   Sony Classical
Respighi, Ottorino      Roman Festivals Sony Classical
Revueltas, Silvestre    Sensemayá       Sony Classical
Roussel, Albert Symphony No 3 in G minor        Sony Classical
Schuman, William        Symphony No  3  Sony Classical
Schuman, William        Symphony No  3  Deutsche Grammophon
Schuman, William        Symphony No  8  Sony Classical
Schuman, William        Symphony for Strings in 3 Movements     Sony Classical
Schumann, Robert        Cello Concerto in A minor       EMI (with Rostropovich)
Schumann, Robert        Symphony No 1 in B flat major   Sony Classical
Schumann, Robert        Symphony No 2 in C major        Sony Classical
Shapero, Harold Symphony for Classical Orchestra        Sony Classical
Shostakovich, Dmitri    Piano Concerto No 1 in C minor  Columbia Masterworks
Shostakovich, Dmitri    Piano Concerto No 2 in F major  Columbia Masterworks
Shostakovich, Dmitri    Symphony No  1 in F minor       Sony Classical
Shostakovich, Dmitri    Symphony No  5 in D minor       Sony Classical
Shostakovich, Dmitri    Symphony No  6 in B minor       Sony Classical
Shostakovich, Dmitri    Symphony No  7 in C major       Deutsche Grammophon
Shostakovich, Dmitri    Symphony No  9 in E flat major  Sony Classical
Sibelius, Jean  Symphonies (7)  Sony Classical
Stravinsky, Igor        Mass    Deutsche Grammophon
Stravinsky, Igor        Noces   Deutsche Grammophon
Stravinsky, Igor        Pulcinella (rev. 1947)  Sony Classical
Stravinsky, Igor        Pétrouchka Suite (1947) Sony Classical
Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich       Symphony No 5 in E minor        Sony Classical
Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich       Symphony No 6 in B minor        Deutsche Grammophon
Thompson, Randall       Symphony No 2 in E minor        Sony Classical
Vaughan Williams, Ralph Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis    Sony Classical
Vaughan Williams, Ralph Serenade to Music       Sony Classical
Vaughan Williams, Ralph Symphony No 4 in F minor        Sony Classical

dirkronk

Quote from: Iago on June 04, 2007, 11:54:27 PM
I don't know if either you or your friend is misinformed, but what the hell is the "Manhattan Opera Orchestra" doing in this discussion?

Dollars to donuts, I'm the one who knows nothin'. And apparently can't type either. I went to my CD list (on which I may well have mistyped specifics on this entry) and did a cut-and-paste. What I SHOULD have done was simply mention Bernstein's well known Carmen on DGG--with whatever appropriate orchestra, soloists and chorus appear thereon--since that's the recording I intended to recommend. Hey, I TOLD you folks I'm no opera person. What more proof could you want?
;)

Dirk

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: dirkronk on June 04, 2007, 09:45:16 AM

Shostakovich symphony #5--the classic 1959 version has always been my preference, and I still think it merits high recommendation. However, recent posts have me curious to hear the more recent transfers of the live late-70s version. On the original early-digital LP and the first CD transfers, the bass was impressive but overall the sonics were hideously shrill to my ears... sadly, since it's a very exciting rendition; I'm hoping that reports that the sonics are now acceptable are true.

Gramophone lists a DSCH 5th with Bernstein recorded in 1979 lived in Japan while on tour with the NYPO. It lists the disc at 77 minutes so there must be another work on the CD but they don't say what it is.

I assume that the usualy 5th coupled with the 9th is the earlier version?

Anne

Bernstein conducted a great performance of Verdi's Falstaff w/Fischer-Dieskau, Chorus of Vienna State Opera w/Vienna Philharmonic and Wiener Philharmoniker.

johnshade

~

Not my only version of Der Rosenkavalier, but I get great joy from Bernstein's version.

The sun's a thief, and with her great attraction robs the vast sea, the moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire she snatches from the sun  (Shakespeare)

Brian

He has an unusual and excellent interpretation of the Dvorak Seventh, worth checking out.

And anyone who collects Bernstein would be a freak not to own this masterwork:

The best CD he ever made, I imagine!