Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 09, 2024, 11:03:30 PMThanks! Apparently he enjoyed an extensive and full career. Just going by that Brahms recording Kahan was a gifted pianist. Still puzzled how he came to record for Supraphon though.

The Wilson Centre link didn't work for me unfortunately. 
Interesting!  I just tried clicking on it and it didn't work for me either.  Try this one:
https://www.wilsoncenter.org/publication/mexican-soviet-relations-1958-1964-the-limits-engagement

Oh, I think I see why--"go...https:", etc. were also showing as part of that link.

PD

p.s.  If you scroll down, there is quite a lengthy article--though it does also say that much is still not known.   I couldn't find any info on Discogs re the recording date of that album.
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Valentino

I bought this new audiophile Boston SO Steinberg box, and the Karajan/Janowitz Vier letzte Lieder and Tod und Verklärung. Terrific music making and sonic bliss.

Tracking Angle just put up an entry about the next DG TOS batch plus a digitally recorded box set with Giulini in Bruckner 7-9:
https://trackingangle.com/features/deutsche-grammophon-announces-four-major-new-titles-in-its-original-source-vinyl-series-plus-a-major-bruckner-vinyl-release

Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 28, 2024, 07:10:00 AM

Do you own that one Lol?  Or tempted to purchase a copy of it?

Hadn't heard of Impex (sp?) before now.

Alas, most of the time when I run across mono recordings, they aren't shall we say in the best of shape.  I'll keep an eye out for it though.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 28, 2024, 09:38:10 AMDo you own that one Lol?  Or tempted to purchase a copy of it?

Hadn't heard of Impex (sp?) before now.

Alas, most of the time when I run across mono recordings, they aren't shall we say in the best of shape.  I'll keep an eye out for it though.

PD

I had not heard of Impex either, PD. Looking on eBay their catalogue is mainly jazz and popular. Prices are far too rich for me! I do not doubt the recordings are meticulously transferred by Impex but £59 is ridiculous for a single LP.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 28, 2024, 11:19:14 PMI had not heard of Impex either, PD. Looking on eBay their catalogue is mainly jazz and popular. Prices are far too rich for me! I do not doubt the recordings are meticulously transferred by Impex but £59 is ridiculous for a single LP.
Wow!  That is a lot!  :( I wonder what their runs are?  Looking at their website, I see that the Heifetz/Piatigorsky one that he also mentioned is listed for $39.99 USD (though God knows what their shipping charges are); it is sold out though.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

From the expensive to the cheap. NOK 20 (Appx USD 2) at the local used anything store, between James Last's Classics Up To Date 3 and  HiFi Karajan 2:

It's Brüggen, Leonhardt and Bylsma playing hardcore trailblazing HIP Telemann recorder sonatas. That gold and black Telefunken label is beautiful. Just a few small clicks left after a turn in the HumminGuru. VFM indeed.

Pohjolas Daughter

Had a great time listening to an old Mercury 35mm LP earlier today (cross-posted in What are you Listening to thread).  Initial ticking sounds had me worried at first that there could be a long scratch on the Side 1, but it quickly quieted down.  Great performance/work/sound.

Byron Janis playing Prokofiev's third p.c.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

What stylus do you use, PD?
I've found that the Microridge/MicroLine/SAS shape excels in setting belowsurfave scratches.
I've seen scratches that I thought were not playable that were as good as inaudible. Not so with a conical or elliptical.

Irons

Quote from: Valentino on March 15, 2024, 01:51:46 PMWhat stylus do you use, PD?
I've found that the Microridge/MicroLine/SAS shape excels in setting belowsurfave scratches.
I've seen scratches that I thought were not playable that were as good as inaudible. Not so with a conical or elliptical.

I find Mercury LPs have such a wide dynamic range and cut at a high level that any surface imperfections are masked by the music.

Pohjolas Daughter

I had debated where to post this as it's about LPs though in this article, it's not about classical music but it can also be.

Thoughts about the surge in recent years of the popularity of LPs.  Questions of how does this effect the environment (traditionally made from petroleum)?  I ran across this article today about one artist's thoughts and what she's trying to do to improve things at her end...Billie Eilish.  There's also information about the carbon impact of making new LPs.  Something to think about.  And some links too which I want to check out re alternative production/composition, etc.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-68768414
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

Thanks, I'll read it next.

For now I just want to give you a heads up on this fabulous recording of Dvorak 7 (says 2, but it's from 1961). It's a CBS (now Sony) recording but was also released by Philips on their at the time Fontana label.