Author Topic: CD cover art designs  (Read 71493 times)

Online mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
Re: CD cover art designs
« Reply #260 on: January 30, 2014, 09:16:43 AM »
Wow, I don't like any of these covers. It's always amazing how different all of our tastes are. I think I'm similar to sanantonio in that I like slightly abstract cover art and despise cover art that uses the conductor, or whomever the musician may be, on front.
You have just very succinctly described EXACTLY what I dislike (both what you like and dislike). How cool is that! :) Though, I have to add, I find it hard to dislike Renoir for any reason. He's one of my favorite artists.

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

kishnevi

« Reply #261 on: January 30, 2014, 06:22:44 PM »

Thank you, Jeffrey. I like the Jerusalem's new cover so much, I'm going to order the CD. Plus I really like their Shostakovich and Brahms.

Beat you to it: Prestoclassical shipped my copy today.  At worst, I'll turn the case over and have the backside facing me while I play it.  (I think I have everything the Jerusalem Q. has released, including a couple from before their days with HM.)

It is interesting how we can have some of the same favorites (Hyperion and CPO), but so utterly disagree on the Bach Cantata series and Naive. But those two use pictures of people (something I don't like), which is part of it. At least Naive is a bit cheeky, as opposed to the Gardiner Bach, which I find depressing.

The Gardiner covers are a sort of anthropological tour: no musicians appear on the covers.
Regarding Naive, remember that 1) I said "artistically interesting".  This is not the same as "aesthetically pleasing".  There are some rather ugly covers from Naive.  But they're artistically ugly.   2)Naive does sometimes use photos of the musicians on its covers, but often the images have no apparent link to the music--paintings or prints contemporary to the music. or rather enigmatic photos like the one which appears on the Vegh Quartet Beethoven cycle.  The only Naive series that uses exclusively humans is the Vivaldi Edition, and my point 1 definitely applies there.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Waves crashing upon Aldeburgh Beach
« Reply #262 on: January 30, 2014, 06:32:43 PM »
I like these two Shostakovich Harmonia Mundi covers a good bit:

"The old idea of a composer suddenly having a terrific idea and sitting up all night to write it is nonsense. Nighttime is for sleeping.” - Benjamin Britten

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #263 on: February 07, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »

Offline zmic

« Reply #264 on: February 09, 2014, 02:06:48 AM »

Thank you, Jeffrey. I like the Jerusalem's new cover so much, I'm going to order the CD. Plus I really like their Shostakovich and Brahms.

The dumb thing is that the Prazak Quartet have recently used the exact same painting for one of their Schönberg recordings.

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #265 on: January 03, 2017, 07:56:12 PM »
Very favorable for music

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #266 on: January 04, 2017, 06:42:48 AM »
Sarge just posted some buckeyes from this series on the WAYLT thread. What have buckeyes got to do with Beethoven String Quartets? Or cherries with Bach harpsichord concertos!? The only explanation for your posts is that you accidentally posted in this thread when you meant to post in the worst cd covers thread. Yeah, that must be it. Phew, I thought I was gonna have to knock heads for a minute there...  :-* :)

The one from that series that baffles me is the Reger String Quartets:

The Sibelius ice cubes are nice, though:

"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Parsifal

« Reply #267 on: January 04, 2017, 09:20:52 AM »
I came upon this thread while reading the "Worst Looking CD/LP Artwork," and decided I'd rather look at some un-uglies. I always liked the design of the DG-Philips-Decca Trio series.

I also like those covers. It is even a bit fun to guess what about the three objects pictured is supposed to evoke the music contained.

cilgwyn

« Reply #268 on: January 04, 2017, 10:14:59 AM »
The one from that series that baffles me is the Reger String Quartets:

The Sibelius ice cubes are nice, though:

For some reason the Reger one made me laugh. Thanks for that MI! The first time I've laughed all day!! :( ;D Maybe the fact that I just had a bowl of mushroom soup had something to do with it?!!

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #269 on: January 04, 2017, 10:16:46 AM »
For some reason the Reger one made me laugh. Thanks for that MI! The first time I've laughed all day!! :( ;D Maybe the fact that I just had a bowl of mushroom soup had something to do with it?!!

Happy to spread mirth, but I'm Mahlerian, not Mirror Image.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Parsifal

« Reply #270 on: January 04, 2017, 10:20:02 AM »

I can't explain why in detail, but mushrooms for Reger seems particularly apt. Probably was a non-negligible in my decision to purchase.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976)
    Waves crashing upon Aldeburgh Beach
« Reply #271 on: January 04, 2017, 09:37:32 PM »
I always liked the paintings used for the Handley RVW series on Classics For Pleasure (EMI).
"The old idea of a composer suddenly having a terrific idea and sitting up all night to write it is nonsense. Nighttime is for sleeping.” - Benjamin Britten

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #272 on: September 26, 2019, 10:33:10 AM »
I really like that one:

It also happens to be the same as this:

Appropriately for the music at hand, it is a representation of Death. The title is La Mort et le fossoyeur, or Death and the Grave Digger.

Offline pjme

« Reply #273 on: September 26, 2019, 11:58:53 PM »
The painter is Carlos Schwabe.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yb_xHa45PL4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yb_xHa45PL4</a>

Portrait of the Dancer Aleksandr Sakharov
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexej_von_Jawlensky
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Sakharoff

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:01:02 AM by pjme »

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #274 on: October 12, 2019, 10:05:26 AM »
This is one I find cool and fresh. I like the shadows of the leaves on her face:

Offline 2dogs

A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
« Reply #275 on: October 25, 2019, 08:47:42 PM »
I love the silvery metallic, futuristic look of the Philips late 60s Prospective 21e Siecle series of musique concrete and electronic albums. The perfect collection for anyone living in the city of the Mysterons.

There’s a gallery of them here - http://www.hardformat.org/collections/prospective-21e-siecle/

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #276 on: October 26, 2019, 01:30:04 AM »
I like the general style of the examples in #252 with roughly contemporary or otherwise appropriate paintings, except for the Telarc Sheherazade and the Balakirev. Although several are not good with the contrast of the writing or simply too "busy", like the British light music. And I wouldn't call any of them great or especially memorable.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2019, 11:04:08 AM »
Not properly a CD cover art, but an LP one. Thinking of Langgaard's 10th Symphony I found this on the internet:

Quite cool! It fits very well the music.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #278 on: November 06, 2019, 01:27:31 PM »
Not properly a CD cover art, but an LP one. Thinking of Langgaard's 10th Symphony I found this on the internet:

Quite cool! It fits very well the music.

It’s on cd, I have it ! Cover illustration by Corinne Gosset.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #279 on: November 10, 2019, 11:01:00 AM »
I really like that one:

It also happens to be the same as this:

Appropriately for the music at hand, it is a representation of Death. The title is La Mort et le fossoyeur, or Death and the Grave Digger.

And here she is again:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).