Discussing Critical Content (written reviews, YT vlogs, podcasts etc.)

Started by DavidW, March 31, 2024, 06:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on April 09, 2024, 05:12:25 PMAs so often on here, everyone here is right, they just don't understand how we can all be right at the same time.  ;D

No. It's not logically possible for the person who says "professional always has this meaning" and the person who says "professional doesn't always have this meaning" to be right at the same time. What exactly is dignified about not ever correcting anyone? Especially when what they were doing was "correcting" other people?

If you want an example of a context where "professional" and "amateur" are strictly used to refer to payment, not to standards, look at sport. The Olympics were exclusively amateur for a long period. Those people were setting world records. Some sports still maintain a rigorous distinction between the amateurs and the professionals.

Whether or not the reference to a "professional orchestra" was meant one way or another is not my concern. My concern is someone going around asserting that only one interpretation was possible, and telling other people that THEY were wrong for using a different interpretation.

Going around soothing people by telling them that everyone is right is the kind of thing that, taken to extremes, leads to Trumpian egos, and it sure as hell isn't the way your school teacher worked.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on April 09, 2024, 05:26:12 PMNo. It's not logically possible for the person who says "professional always has this meaning" and the person who says "professional doesn't always have this meaning" to be right at the same time. What exactly is dignified about not ever correcting anyone?

Well, your correction could be wrong, as it is in this case. You seem to think "professional has always meant this thing" (notice I corrected the tense) is meant to say "professional exclusively and only ever had this meaning," when it is perfectly reasonable to believe that he meant "professional has also had this additional meaning," which is the interpretation supported by his use of the phrase "not just."

Quote from: Madiel on April 09, 2024, 05:26:12 PMIf you want an example of a context...
I don't, because I'm the person who originally used the word in that context.

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on April 09, 2024, 05:37:50 PMWell, your correction could be wrong, as it is in this case. You seem to think "professional has always meant this thing" (notice I corrected the tense) is meant to say "professional exclusively and only ever had this meaning," when it is perfectly reasonable to believe that he meant "professional has also had this additional meaning," which is the interpretation supported by his use of the phrase "not just."

If you're going to correct tenses, maybe you should go back and correct everything else as well.

I'm done here.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Atriod

Quote from: DavidW on April 09, 2024, 12:52:11 PM@mahler10th Is Szell Beethoven one of DH's reference sets?

It is, IIRC it was his favorite set before the Wand/NDR.

DavidW

Quote from: Atriod on April 10, 2024, 10:09:06 AMIt is, IIRC it was his favorite set before the Wand/NDR.

Well the Wand set is exceptional, I definitely agree with him there!