Monthly Focus

Started by Judith, July 01, 2020, 02:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

I've got some listening projects going on this month. In my experience this gives my a necessary push to explore recordings, old and new, that are off the beaten path.

Obviously, considering the season and my interest in  Early Music and Baroque: Christmas music

Next: exploring an old love: French Baroque motets

Also an underrated pre-Mozartian composer: Johann Christian Bach. Anthony Halstead does a really good job in rectifying this historical injustice (CPO).

Last but not least, I intend to devote more of my listening time to opera.

Jo498

Quote from: DavidW on December 01, 2023, 08:51:01 AMMy monthly focus is on Weinberg's string quartets.  Both last month and this month.
What are your favorites?
I got 3 discs from the cpo series years ago and never felt the need for anymore but I haven't spent so much time with it. Have another one with the piano quintet etc. and also the violin concerto (on Naxos + Myaskovsky's)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

DavidW

Quote from: Jo498 on December 10, 2023, 01:47:23 AMWhat are your favorites?
I got 3 discs from the cpo series years ago and never felt the need for anymore but I haven't spent so much time with it. Have another one with the piano quintet etc. and also the violin concerto (on Naxos + Myaskovsky's)

So far it is #4, but I have a lot of listening to go (I'm not even half way since I'm breaking them in)!

DavidW

I'm going to add this Atterberg disc to my monthly focus, it is a stunner!

That and Weinberg SQs v 1 of Danel will do for the rest of the month

Judith

For this month, its
Schumann
4 Mächenzählungen
Op 132.

Such a beautiful  trio with a sublime slow movement.  Performed on clarinet, cello and piano!

Steven Isserlis
Stephen Hough
Michael Collins

Judith

This month, chosen as my monthly focus

Shostakovich

Piano Concerto no 2

This one because although very familiar with the slow movement, not so with the rest and wanted to know it better.

Recording

Boris Giltburg

Royal Liverpool Philharmonic

Vasily Petrenko

Judith

For this March, it's back to Mozart with Symphony no 35 (Haffner) with asmf.
Chosen this one because we're going to see it performed later this month and wanted to familiarise myself with it first!