The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on April 27, 2018, 05:39:12 AM
Wow, this thread is quickly becoming my new favorite!!!   :-[  :-*

It looks like I might have found an outlet for part of my output, namely some of my CD reviews. Not going to jinx it, so I'll wait until I see my own on-line, before I blurt.

Conquer!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

It should be high time for some positive discrimination...
https://www.youtube.com/v/BsfPS7pXg1E
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SurprisedByBeauty

SurprisedByBeauty

Moonfish

Hmm, not sure if this is the right thread to bring up this topic, but here goes...

GMG has a nice folder for different composer with an excellent index. Why don't we have an similar folder for conductors and one for performers? Right now everything seems to be spread out across the forum based on themes, but would it not make sense to create (over time) a similar index specifically for conductors and performers? Just an idea....  0:)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Moonfish on May 22, 2018, 09:37:32 PM
Hmm, not sure if this is the right thread to bring up this topic, but here goes...

GMG has a nice folder for different composer with an excellent index. Why don't we have an similar folder for conductors and one for performers? Right now everything seems to be spread out across the forum based on themes, but would it not make sense to create (over time) a similar index specifically for conductors and performers? Just an idea....  0:)

When do you start?   :laugh:

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 22, 2018, 09:38:58 PM
When do you start?   :laugh:

You mean, when do we start?   >:D

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Moonfish on May 22, 2018, 09:37:32 PM

Do you mean an index that would collect mentions of said performers or conductors? Or just for threads that are already dedicated to specific performers or conductors?

Moonfish

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on May 23, 2018, 02:03:34 AM
Do you mean an index that would collect mentions of said performers or conductors? Or just for threads that are already dedicated to specific performers or conductors?

As a separate folder in the "Music Room" (just like we have the folder 'Composer Discussion' right now) but devoted to threads focusing on conductors and/or performers.
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

It annoys me that most melodie can be sung by male or female voice, but when you buy "complete melodie of so-and-so" each work is more or less arbitrarily assigned to a male or female performer. I'd like to buy the complete melodie of so-and-so where all songs that can be sung by a female are sung by a female. (This thought occurred while looking at my complete Melodie of Faure edition.)

Karl Henning

Nice!

Quote[...] the treacherous shallows of "crossover". Collage–yes; elevator music–no.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SurprisedByBeauty

This is something I've long wanted to do, and of course it took several OTHER projects that I should be working on right now for me to finally do that, namely the cleaning, updating, and generally sprucing-up of the Recommended Recordings Sections of the Surprised By Beauty website.

I've started with my favorite-among-favorites, Othmar Schoeck:

Othmar Schoeck - Recommended Recordings

https://surprisedbybeautyorg.wordpress.com/2017/01/07/othmar-schoeck-recommended-recordings/