The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on February 10, 2019, 01:27:12 PM
I hear you; perfectly respectable view. Although I think that Hurwitz', shall we say, 'unique flavor' (a selling point in-and-of-itself; at least he's consistent so he is helpful as a critic whether you agree with him or not) are quirks. But Lebrecht is an obnoxious clickbaiting, race-baiting, nationalism-baiting hack who spreads half-truths (on a good day) and is malicious at the core. And then there's the small detail that ClassicsToday is a multiplicity of voices (Distler, Vernier, Hurwitz, Levine, Carr Jr.), not a megaphone for just one.
As you know I'm on your team here... CT was the first review site I found back in the day, so it is still kind of my "default." It's very easy for me to read a Hurwitz review and figure out if I will like the CD or not. If he thinks it's great except for being HIP, I'll probably love it. If it's an hour long late romantic symphony with a 120-piece orchestra released by CPO and he gave it a 10/10, I'll probably fall asleep.  ;D

Lebrecht's website is a cesspit.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Brian on February 18, 2019, 07:01:36 AM
As you know I'm on your team here... CT was the first review site I found back in the day, so it is still kind of my "default." It's very easy for me to read a Hurwitz review and figure out if I will like the CD or not. If he thinks it's great except for being HIP, I'll probably love it. If it's an hour long late romantic symphony with a 120-piece orchestra released by CPO and he gave it a 10/10, I'll probably fall asleep.  ;D

Lebrecht's website is a cesspit.

Glad to hear it. Now if only you were to jump onto the right side of the paywall...  ;D 8)

Brian

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on February 18, 2019, 07:54:17 AM
Glad to hear it. Now if only you were to jump onto the right side of the paywall...  ;D 8)
Done!! Jumping in the archives now. I have a lot of reading to catch up on. Especially excited to see a special hidden section for Hurwitz's famous Harry Potter fanfiction.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Brian on February 20, 2019, 07:29:09 AM
Done!! Jumping in the archives now. I have a lot of reading to catch up on. Especially excited to see a special hidden section for Hurwitz's famous Harry Potter fanfiction.

Rinaldo

SurprisedByBeauty

Florestan

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on February 21, 2019, 11:38:36 AM
There it is, my first review in the US @CatholicHerald: Grand motets worthy of a king.

DeLalande on #Glossa w/@collegium_M

https://catholicherald.co.uk/magazine/grand-motets-worthy-of-a-king/ ...

: http://a-fwd.to/6u10kZf

the music of de Lalande, who was about one generation older than his eventual royal chapel successor, Henry Madin (or JS Bach over in Leipzig), is invigorating and celebratory and not particularly cerebral for sacred middle-period baroque. In that, it is closer to Jan Dismas Zelenka than Heinrich Schütz – not surprising, since austerity wasn't really Louis XIV's thing, in music or otherwise.

I agree with everything you write, including the comparison(s) to Zelenka and Schuetz, but I would slightly modify the last sentence thus:

Not surprising, since austerity wasn't really Catholicism's thing, in music or otherwise.

Invigorating and celebratory --- Vivaldi, Haydn and \Mozart anyone? All of them more or less devout Catholics.

Long and thorny topic, I know, but I stand by it.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Florestan on February 21, 2019, 12:01:39 PM
the music of de Lalande, who was about one generation older than his eventual royal chapel successor, Henry Madin (or JS Bach over in Leipzig), is invigorating and celebratory and not particularly cerebral for sacred middle-period baroque. In that, it is closer to Jan Dismas Zelenka than Heinrich Schütz – not surprising, since austerity wasn't really Louis XIV's thing, in music or otherwise.

I agree with everything you write, including the comparison(s) to Zelenka and Schuetz, but I would slightly modify the last sentence thus:

Not surprising, since austerity wasn't really Catholicism's thing, in music or otherwise.

Invigorating and celebratory --- Vivaldi, Haydn and \Mozart anyone? All of them more or less devout Catholics.

Long and thorny topic, I know, but I stand by it.

I think that's certainly true; I'm not sure it is funnier, though.  ;)

king ubu

Considering attending this concert ... stumbled over it by checking out gigs by Marie-Claude Chappuis, who has released a gorgeous album of French music a couple of years ago. There is hardly any mention of André Caplet around these shores, and of Howard Arman mostly as conductor, so I'm not quite sure what to expect there ... any opinions?

Youth Philharmonic of Central Switzerland     
Akademiechor Luzern     
Howard Arman   
conductor
Marie-Claude Chappuis    mezzo-soprano

André Caplet (1878–1925)
Le Miroir de Jésus. Mystères du Rosaire for mezzo-soprano, women's chorus, strings, and harp 

Howard Arman (*1954)
The Cries of London for soloists, choir, and strings
Swiss premiere

More info:
https://www.lucernefestival.ch/en/program/youth-philharmonic-of-central-switzerland-akademiechor-luzern-howard-arman-marie-claude-chappuis/1079

The album - highly recommended:

[asin]B071GB32XC[/asin]

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Brian

For those of you who like internet memes, a Twitter thread identifying classical composers by what John Mulaney joke best fits their personality. The Tchaikovsky and Schumann ones seem especially apt!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Had the immense pleasure of talking to Sandy Wilson, cellist from the Alexander Quartet, about the Alexanders' performance approach and how they've managed to keep together for 38 years with virtually no turnover (last time a new member joined was 2002). It's a lot like a good marriage, he says - the key is to be good at fighting!

Just for GMG, a "deleted scene": Sandy told me about some concert disasters that have happened to them, that he didn't necessarily want to see appear in a newspaper. Once after playing Beethoven's Op. 18 No. 6, they mingled with the audience and a woman said, "That was some lovely Haydn!" They said, oh no, that was early Beethoven, but it does sound like Haydn, doesn't it? Then she showed them the program... and they realized they'd played the wrong quartet...

SurprisedByBeauty

Latest interview on "Church and Culture" is all about Bach!

https://t.co/m6jBvZSoD1

First half about transcriptions, second about the Matthew Passion -- all about why Bach is the Alpha and Omega... and tried to squeeze in a tribute to the beloved and much missed Enoch zu Guttenberg.

Apologies - to anyone who might actually listen - about the bad SQ. Don't know why that is myself... trying to make them work on it.

Rinaldo

Not sure where to put this but Google's current Bach doodle is pure joy.