Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurprisedByBeauty

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JBS on January 18, 2019, 04:06:27 PM
Fazil Say makes the news
https://www.trtworld.com/turkey/erdogan-graham-discuss-syria-safe-zone-attend-fazil-say-s-concert-23436

I guess Graham will have to return to the U.S. by boat, since Trump has banned travel by U.S. aircraft by members of Congress.

SurprisedByBeauty

SurprisedByBeauty

SurprisedByBeauty

JBS

You'll need to clean up some typos, but more importantly, the Karajan Sibelius was included in the EMI Remastered set.  They form the first three CDs of this
[asin]B00JDB4ASA[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: JBS on January 21, 2019, 10:31:15 AM
You'll need to clean up some typos, but more importantly, the Karajan Sibelius was included in the EMI Remastered set.  They form the first three CDs of this

Thanks much. (Also would be super helpful if you mentioned some of those typos you noticed. The reason they're in there is that i managed to gloss over them four times, already.  ??? :P

North Star

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 21, 2019, 02:53:41 PM
Thanks much. (Also would be super helpful if you mentioned some of those typos you noticed. The reason they're in there is that i managed to gloss over them four times, already.  ??? :P
"premable" & "lest" before the list.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: North Star on January 21, 2019, 03:32:07 PM
"premable" & "lest" before the list.

Super. Much appreciated. I must have lost my pre-marbles to not catch those!

SurprisedByBeauty

Interview about Bruckner. Probably so basic that few on this forum would learn anything new.

https://avemariaradio.net/audio-archive/church-and-culture-january-26-2019-hour-2/?fbclid=IwAR3ilhtj28aJdY4JT9NJ33v3ICWiC3t8S7wj6G0E27zD82lmhukvVUh8j4c

Latest interview on Ave Maria Radio where Deal Wyatt Hudson invited me to speak about #Bruckner. Which of course is a thing I love to do.

Excerpts from Symphonies 3, 7, 9 (w/ Rémy Ballot/ GRAMOLA) & 5 (Jochum/ Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, 1986) & the Os justi Motet.

Pat B

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on February 07, 2019, 03:35:01 AM
As @ionarts resumes a regular schedule of #CDReviews, with Charles (#BrieflyNoted) on Saturdays and me on Wednesdays

Glad to read this. I enjoy your writing but could never bring myself to click the links to that other website.

ETA: your "unfathomable tragedy" link points to a local file on your computer.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Pat B on February 08, 2019, 01:11:51 PM
Glad to read this. I enjoy your writing but could never bring myself to click the links to that other website.

ETA: your "unfathomable tragedy" link points to a local file on your computer.

That "other" website being ClassicsToday?  :D Have you experienced a Hurwitz-burn that left you scarred? [As most people, though not all, he becomes all the more pleasant on proximity. And I must say that I've found him incredibly open in my dealing with me... not only for taking me on, after Forbes ditched the column, but also for re-assessing recordings differently than he has judged them in the past (i.e. Bernstein's Beethoven).]

Thanks a lot for letting me know about the link; it's fixed now.

Pat B

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on February 09, 2019, 12:06:34 AM
That "other" website being ClassicsToday?  :D Have you experienced a Hurwitz-burn that left you scarred? [As most people, though not all, he becomes all the more pleasant on proximity. And I must say that I've found him incredibly open in my dealing with me... not only for taking me on, after Forbes ditched the column, but also for re-assessing recordings differently than he has judged them in the past (i.e. Bernstein's Beethoven).]

I wouldn't say burned or scarred. I just eventually realized that I dislike his writing enough that I avoid his website altogether. One example occurred as I was reading an essay on vibrato. At first I didn't know who wrote it. The pdf did not state the author at the top. I read a few pages littered with straw men, ad hominem attacks, and hand-waving. By the time I got to the author's admission that he didn't know the meanings of terminology used in historical violin treatises, it was clear that behind the facade of a substantive analysis, the essay was really just a crude rationalization of the author's personal preferences and an attack on those with different preferences. Then I asked myself, "who wrote this junk, David Hurwitz?" I scrolled to the bottom, and guess who the author was? Blindly identifying an author by his writing's junky viciousness is a surprisingly powerful realization.

I similarly try to avoid Lebrecht's website, though less strictly.

I am not surprised that Hurwitz is more charming in person. For all I know, I would enjoy a conversation with him. But I avoid his website.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Pat B on February 10, 2019, 11:23:16 AM
I wouldn't say burned or scarred. I just eventually realized that I dislike his writing enough that I avoid his website altogether. One example occurred as I was reading an essay on vibrato. At first I didn't know who wrote it. The pdf did not state the author at the top. I read a few pages littered with straw men, ad hominem attacks, and hand-waving. By the time I got to the author's admission that he didn't know the meanings of terminology used in historical violin treatises, it was clear that behind the facade of a substantive analysis, the essay was really just a crude rationalization of the author's personal preferences and an attack on those with different preferences. Then I asked myself, "who wrote this junk, David Hurwitz?" I scrolled to the bottom, and guess who the author was? Blindly identifying an author by his writing's junky viciousness is a surprisingly powerful realization.

I similarly try to avoid Lebrecht's website, though less strictly.

I am not surprised that Hurwitz is more charming in person. For all I know, I would enjoy a conversation with him. But I avoid his website.

I hear you; perfectly respectable view. Although I think that Hurwitz', shall we say, 'unique flavor' (a selling point in-and-of-itself; at least he's consistent so he is helpful as a critic whether you agree with him or not) are quirks. But Lebrecht is an obnoxious clickbaiting, race-baiting, nationalism-baiting hack who spreads half-truths (on a good day) and is malicious at the core. And then there's the small detail that ClassicsToday is a multiplicity of voices (Distler, Vernier, Hurwitz, Levine, Carr Jr.), not a megaphone for just one.

SurprisedByBeauty