The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

All of this talk about Classics Today and I figured I would put my two cents in. I don't read Hurwitz's reviews and I just don't like the guy's writing style. Outside of Hurwitz, I do enjoy reading Jens' reviews in recordings that I'm interested in, but also Jed Distler who seems to mostly stick to solo piano recordings.

king ubu

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Todd

Whilst hunting for bargain discs, I found this.  I enjoy Kempe, but this disc seems like it was cobbled together from items discarded from collections of leftovers.  This would have been full-price at some point, too.  Not everything needs to be reissued.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SurprisedByBeauty

Latest in the US Catholic Herald: Protestant Bach!

'Truly this was the Son of God'

(not my headline, but hey...)

Brian

Jens - is the Hurwitzer on vacation this week, or unwell?

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Brian on April 08, 2019, 05:53:04 AM
Jens - is the Hurwitzer on vacation this week, or unwell?

Why? Did someone sneak a positive Thielemann review through?  ;D :P

There's been a bit of a lag in uploading, hasn't there?! I think D.Vernier does the uploading, though.
D.H. is not incommunicado, at least... so I have no reason to fear for unwellness.

Brian

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on April 08, 2019, 06:28:24 AM
Why? Did someone sneak a positive Thielemann review through?  ;D :P

There's been a bit of a lag in uploading, hasn't there?! I think D.Vernier does the uploading, though.
D.H. is not incommunicado, at least... so I have no reason to fear for unwellness.
I am used to the "everything posts on Sundays" schedule now, I was just surprised when there wasn't any Hurwitz this week - just extra helpings of Jens and Jed. (Which is fine by me...I like Jens and Jed  ;) )

SurprisedByBeauty

Papy Oli

BBC Four broadcast a documentary/interview with Janet Baker last night. For those who can access it, it is available on Iplayer :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00048q7/janet-baker-in-her-own-words
Olivier

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Quote from: JBS on April 26, 2019, 07:50:32 PM
https://medium.com/world-of-music/pergolesis-stabat-mater-the-solution-to-elgar-s-enigma-variations-5f1f7dd2158a
This might be the most persuasive argument I've seen yet - certainly more so than some of the silly solutions like Rule Britannia. I always had the secret pet theory that it was the Westminster bell tune that old clocks play at the top of every hour, but then, I didn't know about the clue that Elgar's theme was supposed to be in counterpoint to the original.

Brian

Just received this press release:

DALLAS, TX (April 29, 2019)—The Dallas Symphony Orchestra (DSO) announces the winners of the eighteenth annual Lynn Harrell Concerto Competition, which took place on Saturday, April 27, 2019, at the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center.

Megan Lin, 18, was awarded First Prize and $3,500 for her performance of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto No. 1.

[snip]

Honorable Mention was awarded to Matthew Ho, 15, who performed Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto No. 1.

-

Sounds like a major musicological discovery is about to happen!!  ;D ;D

Brian

BTW, Jens, Lars Vogt has since recorded the Triple Concerto in studio with the Fightin' Tetzlaff Siblings on Ondine and that recording is gooood. For the first time in quite some time, the Triple Concerto started popping up in my head and I actually deliberately listened to it multiple times in a month, on purpose and everything.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Brian on April 30, 2019, 11:14:13 AM
BTW, Jens, Lars Vogt has since recorded the Triple Concerto in studio with the Fightin' Tetzlaff Siblings on Ondine and that recording is gooood. For the first time in quite some time, the Triple Concerto started popping up in my head and I actually deliberately listened to it multiple times in a month, on purpose and everything.

Yes, that's on my radar. Thanks.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ken B