The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on May 10, 2019, 05:07:51 PM
This is the best thing you will see all week.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uRhgERhMcGg

So the Mozart Effect is true after all.  :laugh:

Seriously now, poor kid! I feel for him and his parents. But then again, how many functional adults are (1) wowed by Mozart's Funeral Masonic Music, and (2) willing to express it publicly and unabashedly?

Suppose he yelled Wow! right in the middle of the piece. I've no doubts he'd have been hissed and shhhted.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Brian

Looking through the Chopin Institute CD catalog, it occurred to me that possibly no artist has ever released more different recordings of the same work on CD than Antoni Wit and the Warsaw Philharmonic have done Chopin piano concertos. By my count:

Concerto No. 1 - Francois Dumont (NIFC), Yulianna Avdeeva (NIFC), Ingolf Wunder (NIFC), Lukas Geniusas (NIFC), Nikolai Demidenko (Accentus Blu-Ray), Olga Kern (Harmonia Mundi)
Concerto No. 2 - Pawel Wakarecy (NIFC), Evgeny Kissin (Accentus Blu-Ray)
Both - Eldar Nebolsin (Naxos), Kun Woo Paik (Decca)

In other words, there are Warsaw/Wit recordings of the Chopin First Concerto featuring EIGHT different pianists.

The only artist/work combo I can think of that's more prolific is that CD where Christian Zacharias plays the same Scarlatti sonata a billion times.

ritter

Quote from: Brian on May 29, 2019, 01:16:30 PM
Looking through the Chopin Institute CD catalog, it occurred to me that possibly no artist has ever released more different recordings of the same work on CD than Antoni Wit and the Warsaw Philharmonic have done Chopin piano concertos. By my count:
The only artist/work combo I can think of that's more prolific is that CD where Christian Zacharias plays the same Scarlatti sonata a billion times.
Well, someone should tell Martha Argerich that Beethoven composed 5 piano concertos, and that she really could record them all, instead of just recording the first two over and over again... ;D

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on May 29, 2019, 01:16:30 PM

Concerto No. 1 - Francois Dumont (NIFC), Yulianna Avdeeva (NIFC), Ingolf Wunder (NIFC), Lukas Geniusas (NIFC), Nikolai Demidenko (Accentus Blu-Ray), Olga Kern (Harmonia Mundi)
Concerto No. 2 - Pawel Wakarecy (NIFC), Evgeny Kissin (Accentus Blu-Ray)
Both - Eldar Nebolsin (Naxos), Kun Woo Paik (Decca)

In other words, there are Warsaw/Wit recordings of the Chopin First Concerto featuring EIGHT different pianists.

I thought I had you, but Karajan only recorded Brahms 3 seven times that I know of. WPO '49, Philharmonia '55, Berlin '63, WPO '67, Berlin '73, Berlin '78, Berlin '86. There's also Sony '86 (DVD) but I think it is the same "Telemondial" production as the DG. He also did Beethoven 7 seven times.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: ritter on May 29, 2019, 01:27:36 PM
Well, someone should tell Martha Argerich that Beethoven composed 5 piano concertos, and that she really could record them all, instead of just recording the first two over and over again... ;D

How many times has she recorded that Mother Goose thing?

Jo498

Isn't this because they simply were on duty for the Chopin competition?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

Quote from: Jo498 on May 29, 2019, 01:45:20 PM
Isn't this because they simply were on duty for the Chopin competition?
Yes, most are competition releases. Paik and Nebolsin are studio and Kissin and Demidenko are live from other concerts.

amw

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 29, 2019, 01:39:30 PM
I thought I had you, but Karajan only recorded Brahms 3 seven times that I know of. WPO '49, Philharmonia '55, Berlin '63, WPO '67, Berlin '73, Berlin '78, Berlin '86. There's also Sony '86 (DVD) but I think it is the same "Telemondial" production as the DG. He also did Beethoven 7 seven times.

I think Takashi Asahina recorded something like 9 Bruckner cycles.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I'm sure Neeme Jarvi recordings things more than once by accident.

(On the Podium)
"Gee, this sounds familiar, as though I've heard it before. Get von Bahr on the phone, I think we already did this one."

Pat B

There are at least 10 Bruckner 8s led by Gunter Wand on legit labels.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

From what heritage/culture derives the name "Jory Vinikour"? I know he is born in Chicago but I've never heard of another Vinikour...

JBS

Quote from: Brian on July 15, 2019, 06:00:04 AM
From what heritage/culture derives the name "Jory Vinikour"? I know he is born in Chicago but I've never heard of another Vinikour...

Google reveals a game designer named Mike Vinikour in Chicago... so that might be a brother.  And a lawyer named Debra Vinokour in Portland.  Perhaps we can ask Todd if he knows her, and if so,  would be mind asking?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

I've discovered another artist named Olga Vinokur who is Russian-born. That may help narrow things down?!

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

In that case perhaps Jory is an Americanization of "Yuri"?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Archaic Torso of Apollo

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach