The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on September 04, 2020, 08:04:52 AM
Some of you guys might enjoy my first ever article in Texas Monthly magazine, which is about a 100-year-old classical radio station that started in a fire station with fire marshals airing their classical records between calls.

Excellent work, amigo!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

MusicTurner

Yes, enjoyable; the article was readily available here too.

Irons

A long shot - has anyone heard of the conductor Ernest Borsamsky? The name is possibly a pseudonym. There are a few uploads on YT including an impressive 1949 Mahler 1st Symphony. He seems to have come from nowhere and promptly disappeared without trace.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Irons on September 05, 2020, 12:50:47 AM
A long shot - has anyone heard of the conductor Ernest Borsamsky? The name is possibly a pseudonym. There are a few uploads on YT including an impressive 1949 Mahler 1st Symphony. He seems to have come from nowhere and promptly disappeared without trace.

Have you read Peter Gutmann's speculation / reporting that Ernest Borsamsky was the conducting nom-de-plume of polish violinist Ern(e)st Eichel's (who was from Sambor, Galicia)?

Strangely, he even shows up under Henri Pensis' Wiki-entry... but it's clear that this all comes from one source, which, as we know, is not suggesting top-reliability. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Pensis

Irons

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on September 06, 2020, 02:45:43 AM
Have you read Peter Gutmann's speculation / reporting that Ernest Borsamsky was the conducting nom-de-plume of polish violinist Ern(e)st Eichel's (who was from Sambor, Galicia)?

Strangely, he even shows up under Henri Pensis' Wiki-entry... but it's clear that this all comes from one source, which, as we know, is not suggesting top-reliability. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Pensis

I have not read Peter Gutmann but I think the link nails it. Borsamsky can be traced last to 1956 when he conducted the Dresden Orchestra after that he disappeared. My friend who is preparing a survey of Mahler's 1st Symphony for Musicweb International finished his review with - Ernest Borsamsky is by no means overshadowed by anyone in this survey - and that is a huge surprise, all things considered. 8/10
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Brian

Learning interesting things about my girlfriend today. She described Ravel's "Miroirs" as boring and "it sounds like there are harps" and told me not to play it when she's around anymore, and now she's saying that the repeated notes in Beethoven's Op. 28 sonata make her hyper.

vandermolen

Am enjoying this new arrival:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Brian on October 31, 2020, 12:36:28 PM
Learning interesting things about my girlfriend today. She described Ravel's "Miroirs" as boring and "it sounds like there are harps" and told me not to play it when she's around anymore, and now she's saying that the repeated notes in Beethoven's Op. 28 sonata make her hyper.

My condolences. This is looking like a crisis. I hope you can overcome thins and grow stronger from it, together.

Brian

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 02, 2020, 04:10:02 AM
My condolences. This is looking like a crisis. I hope you can overcome thins and grow stronger from it, together.
;D ;D

She's just hard to predict. She has an infinite capacity for Haydn, loves Sibelius, and of Lutoslawski says, "You can play that one whenever you want!"

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Brian on November 02, 2020, 06:57:40 AM
;D ;D

She's just hard to predict. She has an infinite capacity for Haydn, loves Sibelius, and of Lutoslawski says, "You can play that one whenever you want!"

Oh, that bodes well, then! If she digs Bach Organ Music, that'd be the trifecta.

Brian

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 02, 2020, 11:51:20 AM
Oh, that bodes well, then! If she digs Bach Organ Music, that'd be the trifecta.
Not sure about Bach specifically but she loves the organ. She pursued oboe seriously enough to consider (and reject) conservatory, but her favorite instrument is the French horn. We definitely get along okay.  8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on November 02, 2020, 12:15:38 PM
Not sure about Bach specifically but she loves the organ. She pursued oboe seriously enough to consider (and reject) conservatory, but her favorite instrument is the French horn. We definitely get along okay.  8)
Glad that all is not amiss!  ;) :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

I was wondering what on earth happened to a violinist who recorded one really good album for Naxos, signed a deal to record more for them, and then virtually disappeared, the promised future work unfulfilled. Indeed, he was never to record a commercial album again. Well, google found me his official website, and it's probably the worst website I've seen in years, the kind of thing you usually associate with alien invasion conspiracy believers.

Pohjolas Daughter

Wow, that is a horribly-designed website!

I wonder what happened to him.  You could try and use the "Contact me" if there is one on there.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 21, 2020, 09:15:41 AM
Wow, that is a horribly-designed website!

I wonder what happened to him.  You could try and use the "Contact me" if there is one on there.

PD

Oh, wow. An HTML-Elephant Graveyard... ca. 1996.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

I'm afraid from now on I'm going to have to refer to Beethoven's "Konig Stephan" overture as the "Stick Out Your Tush" overture, due to the main melody's close resemblance to the song "French Mistake" from Blazing Saddles.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on March 12, 2021, 06:22:36 AM
I'm afraid from now on I'm going to have to refer to Beethoven's "Konig Stephan" overture as the "Stick Out Your Tush" overture, due to the main melody's close resemblance to the song "French Mistake" from Blazing Saddles.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

MusicTurner

Quote from: Brian on November 21, 2020, 07:50:10 AM
I was wondering what on earth happened to a violinist who recorded one really good album for Naxos, signed a deal to record more for them, and then virtually disappeared, the promised future work unfulfilled. Indeed, he was never to record a commercial album again. Well, google found me his official website, and it's probably the worst website I've seen in years, the kind of thing you usually associate with alien invasion conspiracy believers.

😄 ... the idea seems to be to collect all the information on one, successive page, rather than splitting it up into links and sub-pages. The result is a maybe-200-page-long, continous scroll of small articles etc., in rather ~dramatic colours and lettering ...

Papy Oli

Sunday : I do a search on Ebay for some Bach cantatas by... Suzuki

Monday : Ebay recommends me some Honda motorcycles  ;D

Tuesday :...and some Yamaha too... and now some Nissan cars...  8)

Does a cantata journey equate to some sort of mid-life crisis at all ?   :laugh:

Olivier