The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Quote from: DavidW on October 07, 2009, 07:46:35 AM
Well my opinion based on listening is that as you progress into the 20th century ...

I think that probably explains the difference - musically speaking, I don't progress very far into the 20th century! (Rather alarmingly: as time goes on, I seem to be progressing backwards at ever-greater speed!)

DavidW

Quote from: Elgarian on October 07, 2009, 07:56:02 AM
I think that probably explains the difference - musically speaking, I don't progress very far into the 20th century! (Rather alarmingly: as time goes on, I seem to be progressing backwards at ever-greater speed!)

Haha you're turning into Gurn! ;D

ChamberNut

Anyone else notice similarities between Schubert's String Quartet # 15 in G (Scherzo mvt.) and Brahms Piano Trio Scherzo mvt (can't remember if it's Piano Trio 1 or 2, but I think it's # 2)?

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on October 07, 2009, 08:13:52 AM
Haha you're turning into Gurn! ;D

. . . and, like Gurn, he's going to dip his toes in the 21st century  8)

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 07, 2009, 10:15:15 AM
. . . and, like Gurn, he's going to dip his toes in the 21st century  8)

Hopefully not with atonal honking! >:D ;)

karlhenning

Oh, especially the atonal honking!

(And . . . MN Dave has been mysteriously quiet viz. the a. h. . . .)

Elgarian

Quote from: DavidW on October 07, 2009, 11:46:54 AM
Hopefully not with atonal honking!

With heedless watermelons and things like that.

(1 listening so far, but I always need three for anything new.)

karlhenning

MN Dave

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 07, 2009, 11:49:30 AM
Oh, especially the atonal honking!

(And . . . MN Dave has been mysteriously quiet viz. the a. h. . . .)

I know and I'm sorry. I've been a busy little beaver lately, but never fear: I will use the disc to clean out the cobwebs before I start the next writing project.

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 07, 2009, 11:54:04 AM
Ho capito!

[Little does he know ....]

Yesterday, after having been up all night with raging toothache, I gave that lecture I mentioned - with raging toothache. Afterwards I drove at 500 mph to my dentist with raging toothache, and he said 'That's got to come out!' And he took it out. And despite enduring this terrible day of fear and pain, I still made time in the evening to listen to your CD.

You see how I suffer for your art? Greater love hath no listener.

jochanaan

Quote from: Lethe on October 03, 2009, 06:32:21 PM
What's the difference between lento and largo?
Lento means literally "slow," while largo means "broad."  Largo is usually considered to be a little slower.  Some musical commentators insist that largo is "the slowest tempo marking," but that's not strictly true.  It was the slowest indication on Maelzel's original metronome, but the slowest marking is actually grave (no translation necessary ;D).
Quote from: DavidW on October 07, 2009, 11:46:54 AM
Hopefully not with atonal honking! >:D ;)
beep beep beep!!! >:D ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

karlhenning

Quote from: Elgarian on October 07, 2009, 12:07:45 PM
[Little does he know ....]

Yesterday, after having been up all night with raging toothache, I gave that lecture I mentioned - with raging toothache. Afterwards I drove at 500 mph to my dentist with raging toothache, and he said 'That's got to come out!' And he took it out. And despite enduring this terrible day of fear and pain, I still made time in the evening to listen to your CD.

You see how I suffer for your art? Greater love hath no listener.

I am touched, indeed!

karlhenning

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 14, 2009, 05:52:27 AM
I am touched, indeed!

It could have inspired a Dental Duet for clarinet and drill.

Dana

Quote from: jochanaan on October 13, 2009, 12:58:27 PMbeep beep beep!!! >:D ;D

I love that work! It's one of my favorite by Varese!

karlhenning

Oh, Dana! You mistook Gershwin for Varèse! How could you!?

Brian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 14, 2009, 07:03:35 AM
Oh, Dana! You mistook Gershwin for Varèse! How could you!?

Everybody does that eventually...

Brahmsian

Faure, Ravel, Debussy, Franck

All of these French composers, had serious, major flaws in their string quartets.

And that is.......they only composed one each.  :'(

karlhenning

If we consider how Brahms hesitated at writing a symphony . . . and the irony that Beethoven had made sketches for an earlier symphony in the mid-1790s, but waited several years before introducing a full-scale symphony in 1800 . . . maybe it was some ineffable part of the French masters' quartets, that they concerned themselves only with writing one, with no thought for a set of quartets.

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2009, 11:07:05 AM
If we consider how Brahms hesitated at writing a symphony . . . and the irony that Beethoven had made sketches for an earlier symphony in the mid-1790s, but waited several years before introducing a full-scale symphony in 1800 . . . maybe it was some ineffable part of the French masters' quartets, that they concerned themselves only with writing one, with no thought for a set of quartets.

Well, all four of those are below the green lemon!