The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

I certainly need yet to listen to that of either Franck or Fauré.

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2009, 11:12:07 AM
I certainly need yet to listen to that of either Franck or Fauré.

Oh, Karl.  You must remedy this quickly!  The Faure, especially.  A true masterpiece.

Dana

Quote from: Brahmsian on October 22, 2009, 10:49:01 AMFaure, Ravel, Debussy, Franck

I'm not familiar with three of those - are they really on the same level as the Debussy?!

Brahmsian

Who came up with the term atonal honkings?   ;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: Dana on October 22, 2009, 12:53:03 PM
I'm not familiar with three of those - are they really on the same level as the Debussy?!

Yes!  The Ravel is probably widely considered the best of these.

Brian

DFO

IMHO, Franck SQ is not only his best chamber work, but also one of the greatest of the 19th.century. Only Magnard's
is comparable.

DavidW

Quote from: DFO on October 22, 2009, 01:44:38 PM
IMHO, Franck SQ is not only his best chamber work, but also one of the greatest of the 19th.century. Only Magnard's
is comparable.

I should give it a listen, I was actually shopping for a recording a couple weeks back but got distracted... :)

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on October 22, 2009, 04:10:42 PM
I should give it a listen, I was actually shopping for a recording a couple weeks back but got distracted... :)

Due next month:

The FAQ+Ortiz just released a great Faure album, so I expect good things.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on October 22, 2009, 04:47:03 PM
Due next month:

The FAQ+Ortiz just released a great Faure album, so I expect good things.

I have a Naxos recording of the Piano Quintet, paired w/ Chausson's String Quartet.  Not the same ensemble though.

The Franck's Piano Quintet is magnifique, right up there with his string quartet and violin sonata ! :)

Dana

Quote from: Brahmsian on October 22, 2009, 12:54:07 PMYes!  The Ravel is probably widely considered the best of these.

Oh duh, I've heard Ravel ::)

karlhenning

Quote from: Brahmsian on October 22, 2009, 01:36:32 PM
Oh, I thought it was Karl or MN Dave this whole time. ;D

Well, DavidW introduced the phrase here in waggish reference to Heedless Watermelon  :D

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 23, 2009, 04:16:34 AM
Well, DavidW introduced the phrase here in waggish reference to Heedless Watermelon  :D

tehehehe

;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: Dana on October 22, 2009, 08:31:49 PM
Oh duh, I've heard Ravel ::)

Sorry Dana, I misunderstood your question.  I read it as if 'you had only heard the Debussy string quartet'.

Brahmsian

I always think Harry is listening to this.  :)

I keep forgetting it's part of his signature.

karlhenning

Quote from: Brahmsian on October 23, 2009, 04:42:53 AM
I always think Harry is listening to this.  :)

I keep forgetting it's part of his signature.

Doesn't exactly make you want to listen to von Suppé, does it? 8)

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 23, 2009, 05:04:44 AM
Doesn't exactly make you want to listen to von Suppé, does it? 8)

Oh no, that doesn't matter.  Although quite frankly, I don't think I'd be interested in any kind of 'operetta'.  Who knows?

karlhenning

For good or ill, when I see an overlarge CD cover image as a signature, my response tends to be a little similar to that for 'saturation' ads in the subways stations and on the buses: "Their competition must be good, if they're willing to put THIS MUCH into pushing their product. Say, I'll check out the competition . . . ."

MN Dave

No kidding.  ::) I know forums where authors have big banners in their signatures.  :P