The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

You can turn off sigs if it bothers you.  I rarely come across a sig here worth reading. :)  I don't mind Harry's pic though because it's a pretty cool cd cover.

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on October 23, 2009, 06:34:24 AM
You can turn off sigs if it bothers you.  I rarely come across a sig here worth reading. :)  I don't mind Harry's pic though because it's a pretty cool cd cover.

Thanks David.  I don't mind the signatures, but it can be a little distracting at times.

MN Dave

I don't mind text signatures. They add a little personality.

DavidW

Quote from: MN Dave on October 23, 2009, 06:36:32 AM
I don't mind text signatures. They add a little personality.

I like the personal text under the avatar better.  They tend to be cute, while the sigs are just some pompous showy quote. :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on October 23, 2009, 06:37:38 AM
I like the personal text under the avatar better.

How come you don't have a personal text under your avatar?

Harry

Quote from: Brahmsian on October 23, 2009, 05:11:21 AM
Oh no, that doesn't matter.  Although quite frankly, I don't think I'd be interested in any kind of 'operetta'.  Who knows?

O, that pains me to hear, honestly. ;)

Harry

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 23, 2009, 05:15:24 AM
For good or ill, when I see an overlarge CD cover image as a signature, my response tends to be a little similar to that for 'saturation' ads in the subways stations and on the buses: "Their competition must be good, if they're willing to put THIS MUCH into pushing their product. Say, I'll check out the competition . . . ."

For this recording of Suppe's operetta "Die Schone Galathee", there is no competition. 8)

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry on October 23, 2009, 06:45:35 AM
For this recording of Suppe's operetta "Die Schone Galathee", there is no competition. 8)

8)

karlhenning

A little annoyed at Charles Munch that he recorded only two of Debussy's three Nocturnes (at least on this RCA reissue).  It's not like the Tanglewood Festival Chorus had not been available  ::)

CD

Horribly Millennial Question: Who are some good Classical people to follow on Twitter?

CD

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 23, 2009, 05:15:24 AM
For good or ill, when I see an overlarge CD cover image as a signature, my response tends to be a little similar to that for 'saturation' ads in the subways stations and on the buses: "Their competition must be good, if they're willing to put THIS MUCH into pushing their product. Say, I'll check out the competition . . . ."

Which is why I disabled signatures.

Harry

DavidW

Quote from: Brahmsian on October 23, 2009, 06:38:43 AM
How come you don't have a personal text under your avatar?

Oh just don't have anything to say right now.  My classic is "Beethoven's Archduke Trio is magnificently sublime!" ;D

bhodges

Quote from: corey on October 23, 2009, 07:53:50 AM
Horribly Millennial Question: Who are some good Classical people to follow on Twitter?

Your wish is granted!

http://mcmvanbree.com/dutchperspective/twitter/people.htm

--Bruce

CD

Quote from: bhodges on October 23, 2009, 08:05:57 AM
Your wish is granted!

http://mcmvanbree.com/dutchperspective/twitter/people.htm

--Bruce

Thanks! I saw that you had posted that, but I was looking to see if there were some that weren't on the list (I've already followed all the Chicago-related tweeters! :D).

CD

Quote from: DavidW on October 23, 2009, 06:37:38 AM
They tend to be cute, while the sigs are just some pompous showy quote. :)

Guilty as charged! ;D

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on October 23, 2009, 08:05:04 AM
Oh just don't have anything to say right now.  My classic is "Beethoven's Archduke Trio is magnificently sublime!" ;D

You could put, "I'm the new Bax man". ;D

jochanaan

Okay, just because there's been so much talk about signatures, I added one.  The quote, as far as I know, originated with me. :) Take that! ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

jochanaan

Yesterday I checked out another score: Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony.  Not as complex as, say, the Varèse or Mahler works I've checked out, but it's got its own mysteries.  Most notably, the extreme dynamic markings!  Already in the first movement I've seen ffff not once, but several times. :o
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Dana

It is Tchaikovsky, isn't it? I'm surprised you've not seen FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF! :D