The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Quote from: Lethe on January 24, 2010, 07:55:30 AM
The 4th was composed after both of them too :D

I'm no Beethoven expert, but according to Wiki sketches of the 5th and 6th predate the 4th, but the 4th was completed 2 years before the 5th and 6th were completed.  Point taken, however.  My personal theory is that the 4th was actually written by a Viennese stable boy and mistakenly attributed to Beethoven.   ;D

MN Dave

Quote from: Lethe on January 24, 2010, 07:55:30 AM
Indeedie - in the first concert where the 5th and 6th premiered, their numbers were the other way around to how we currently know them. The 4th was composed after both of them too :D

There are two radio concerts on the discs I mentioned in which Furtwangler plays 6 first and then 5 for both dates.

Lethevich

Quote from: Scarpia on January 24, 2010, 08:03:12 AM
My personal theory is that the 4th was actually written by a Viennese stable boy and mistakenly attributed to Beethoven.   ;D
Beethoven was far too crude to have written such a beauty. It could perhaps have been written by the precocious Fanny Mendelssohn, already well into her first year at the time, and who later would have her work all published under the name of her brother Felix :P
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lethevich

What was the deal with Knappertsbusch's hair and giant trousers?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

MN Dave

Classical blah blah violins blah movement blah blah blah C minor blah blah blah blah sublime.

Elgarian

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 26, 2010, 09:48:40 AM
Classical blah blah violins blah movement blah blah blah C minor blah blah blah blah sublime.

This could be extremely useful to steal and use as a standard fill-in whenever I can't think of anything else to say. May I?

MN Dave

Quote from: Elgarian on January 26, 2010, 01:02:48 PM
This could be extremely useful to steal and use as a standard fill-in whenever I can't think of anything else to say. May I?

I would be honored.  ;D

Elgarian

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 26, 2010, 01:53:28 PM
I would be honored.  ;D
Oh good, thanks. Look out for it in unexpected places ....

karlhenning

Classical blah blah sackbuts blah chaconne blah blah blah D major blah blah blah blah sublime.

MN Dave

Blah blah blah Modern blah blah blah atonal blah blah blah avant garde blah blah blah gerbil wheel.

DavidW

Quote from: Beethovenian on January 27, 2010, 04:07:01 PM
Blah blah blah Modern blah blah blah atonal blah blah blah avant garde blah blah blah gerbil wheel.

I think that's actually the name of Karl's new piece! :D  Requiem for a Gerbil Wheel. ;D  He spends about 90 hours thinking up the clever name for his musical piece, and then ten hours composing it.  I kid Karl, I kid! :D

Elgarian

There can be too blah blah blah much of a blah blah good thing blaah blaah y'know, guys blaaah.

karlhenning

Gerbil Wheel & Potatoes of the Couch

MN Dave

The one-recording-a-week plan is going into implementation here at the Beethovenian household. Three reasons: space, waste and savings. I need more space. Too many CDs is a waste (IMO). And I might need some extra money should I live long enough to retire.

It's also an exercise in discipline. It will be good for me. Won't it? And I'll listen more to what I already own.

I'm not sure how I'll work it. The recording should not be a box set that costs $100.00; that's for sure. Maybe a single recording with a $20/week limit—including postage. It will force me to be careful with my shopping dollar.

Anyone else here do anything like this?

Scarpia

Quote from: Beethovenian on February 01, 2010, 10:00:12 AM
The one-recording-a-week plan is going into implementation here at the Beethovenian household. Three reasons: space, waste and savings. I need more space. Too many CDs is a waste (IMO). And I might need some extra money should I live long enough to retire.

It's also an exercise in discipline. It will be good for me. Won't it? And I'll listen more to what I already own.

I'm not sure how I'll work it. The recording should not be a box set that costs $100.00; that's for sure. Maybe a single recording with a $20/week limit—including postage. It will force me to be careful with my shopping dollar.

Yes, but not as strict.  I also try to sell off things I don't like at all.

MN Dave

Quote from: Scarpia on February 01, 2010, 10:05:43 AM
Yes, but not as strict.  I also try to sell off things I don't like at all.

Yeah, me too. I've even been known to sell things I sorta like.  ;D

The new erato

Quote from: Beethovenian on February 01, 2010, 10:00:12 AM

Yep. Already this year, my calendar have passed 2019, thanks partly to abeille. With the new 23 label offer on mdt, I predict to safely fly by 2025 during February.

MN Dave

Quote from: erato on February 01, 2010, 10:08:39 AM
Yep. Already this year, my calendar have passed 2019, thanks partly to abeille.

Another rule then! No foreign purchases!  ;D

Opus106

Quote from: Beethovenian on February 01, 2010, 10:09:23 AM
Another rule then! No foreign purchases!  ;D

But, thanks to the Web, the world is a global village.

(The last good thing I do before hitting the sack. >:D)
Regards,
Navneeth

MN Dave

Quote from: Opus106 on February 01, 2010, 10:32:16 AM
But, thanks to the Web, the world is a global village.

(The last good thing I do before hitting the sack. >:D)

Nothing that is shipped from overseas!