The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: Beethovenian on February 01, 2010, 10:00:12 AM
The one-recording-a-week plan is going into implementation here at the Beethovenian household. Three reasons: space, waste and savings. I need more space. Too many CDs is a waste (IMO). And I might need some extra money should I live long enough to retire.

It's also an exercise in discipline. It will be good for me. Won't it? And I'll listen more to what I already own.

I'm not sure how I'll work it. The recording should not be a box set that costs $100.00; that's for sure. Maybe a single recording with a $20/week limit—including postage. It will force me to be careful with my shopping dollar.

Anyone else here do anything like this?

Yes!!!!!  I am surprised to find someone else doing the same thing because I just told Gurn I was doing that too just last night because

TOO MANY CDS, I AM OVERWHELMED!!!! :o

I'm actually taking it to another level, all of my huge box sets and big cd wallets are going in the closet (actually put them there last night).  I'm starting over, fresh like it was in the beginning.  A modest collection that I listen to alot and I only buy a new cd after I've listened to one at least five times over.  And then relisten to everything I have.  By buying only one cd though, I can buy whatever I want (well make it under $20) to get the best in performance and sound quality.  I'm excited. :)

edit-- I started with Smetana chamber works and the Jarvi Beethoven.

Scarpia

Quote from: DavidW on February 01, 2010, 01:09:07 PM
Yes!!!!!  I am surprised to find someone else doing the same thing because I just told Gurn I was doing that too just last night because

I'm actually taking it to another level, all of my huge box sets and big cd wallets are going in the closet (actually put them there last night).  I'm starting over, fresh like it was in the beginning.  A modest collection that I listen to alot and I only buy a new cd after I've listened to one at least five times over.  And then relisten to everything I have.  By buying only one cd though, I can buy whatever I want (well make it under $20) to get the best in performance and sound quality.  I'm excited. :)

Soon you'll be moving to an apartment with a much bigger closet.   8)

MN Dave

Quote from: DavidW on February 01, 2010, 01:09:07 PM

Yay!!! It's a club.  8)

Martin Lind

A question but I didn't want to start a new thread because of that. Does anybody know a chatroom where you can chat about classical music? I tried hard to find something like that in the internet but couldn't find anything like that.

Regards
Martin

Scarpia

Quote from: Martin Lind on February 01, 2010, 05:36:14 PM
A question but I didn't want to start a new thread because of that. Does anybody know a chatroom where you can chat about classical music? I tried hard to find something like that in the internet but couldn't find anything like that.

Regards
Martin

Maybe...here?

listener

I also have a lot of discs (LP and CD) that I heard only once, maybe did not listen to, (there's a difference).   They are out of order on several shelves, I play each disc now before re-shelving and find a lot of buried treasures I had forgotten.    I have two local retailers who have interesting delete, overstock and used bins so I look there first when I cannot resist the temptation to see what's new.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

MN Dave

Quote from: Martin Lind on February 01, 2010, 05:36:14 PM

Regards
Martin

I've asked about that here. Didn't go over well.

You could always start one yourself and let us know.

Brian

In 11 of the last 12 days, and in the last 6 days in a row, I've listened to a work that I'd never heard before. First Listen Friday? Bring on First Listen February!

Elgarian

I wonder why we're all experiencing heightened awareness of CD overload at about the same time? My daughter looked at my opera collection a couple of weeks ago, and said that if it was hers she'd find it scary. I kind of find it scary myself. I can understand in my case how it happened, because of the sudden discovery that I could enjoy (after a lifetime of thinking I couldn't) music from the baroque and classical eras. Life was pretty simple when I listened mostly to Elgar, RVW, Puccini and French C19th opera, because I owned most of the recorded music I needed. But when suddenly, after decades, you develop a passion for Handel, Vivaldi, French baroque and Mozart in the space of less than two years, the floodgates open and the CDs come pouring through because there's such a lot of it, and so little time left to listen to it all.

For instance: I bought the Sofronitski box of Mozart piano concertos and listened to most of them twice, and found myself getting more and more curious about the difference between these HIP performances, and the traditional post-Romantic approach. Then I saw that jpc were offering the set by Annerose Schmidt and Kurt Masur for next to nothing, so ordered one because it was so cheap; but I know they're regarded as worthy, rather than outstanding, and am wondering whether I should have bought Barenboim instead. Or - no, no, go away, thought - maybe as well??? And so it goes on. One serious problem is the affordability of so many of these sets. If I added up all the time left for listening (just once more) to the CDs that I have, can I actually live that long?

Wanderer

secondwind

Quote from: Elgarian on February 03, 2010, 12:09:28 AM
. . .there's such a lot of it, and so little time left to listen to it all. . . . If I added up all the time left for listening (just once more) to the CDs that I have, can I actually live that long?
Don't waste valuable listening time performing pointless mathematical computations! ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: Brian on February 02, 2010, 09:03:46 PM
In 11 of the last 12 days, and in the last 6 days in a row, I've listened to a work that I'd never heard before. First Listen Friday? Bring on First Listen February!

Yes, my January was just such a one, nor do I see February shaping much different!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: secondwind on February 03, 2010, 04:44:23 AM
It says I'm the 1st.  Hmmm.  Not sure about that.

I was hoping I'd be the Fourth, but no, not even close. I'm the Third: "When you decide you want something, you take it, but occasionally are stricken by bouts of deep sadness. You tend to polarize those around you."

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Beethovenian on February 01, 2010, 10:00:12 AM
The one-recording-a-week plan is going into implementation here at the Beethovenian household.

Very wise. I've done a similar thing in the Rock household: limit myself to one CD a day.  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Elgarian

Quote from: secondwind on February 03, 2010, 04:38:00 AM
Don't waste valuable listening time performing pointless mathematical computations! ;D

That's what I was hoping someone would say. To heck with the maths. Now then, what's new at Presto Classical .....?

The new erato

Quote from: Elgarian on February 03, 2010, 08:58:47 AM
That's what I was hoping someone would say. To heck with the maths. Now then, what's new at Presto Classical .....?
23 new offers at mdt   ;D

offbeat

Quote from: Brian on February 02, 2010, 09:03:46 PM
[/quote
Yes thats a very good strategy - my problem is i can get a bit lazy and listening to something new requires an effort -but yr idea is a good one - actually today got Kenneth Leighton cello concerto/Symphony 3 and listening now for first time  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: secondwind on February 03, 2010, 04:44:23 AM
It says I'm the 1st.  Hmmm.  Not sure about that.

Can we trade?  It says that I'm overwhelmingly the 3rd Symphony.  I'd rather be the first.  :(