The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Yeah DA that post that you had made pushed me over to buy it, and I absolutely do not regret it. :)

DavidW

I had a friend that came from Abu Dhabi, anyway interesting read Jens. :)

DavidW

DA where did you find your copy of the Jacobs 39 40?  I looked on amazon and it says that it won't release until May 11. :'(

DarkAngel

Quote from: DavidW on April 30, 2010, 07:32:45 AM
DA where did you find your copy of the Jacobs 39 40?  I looked on amazon and it says that it won't release until May 11.

UK vendor MDT:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//HMC901959.htm

Lethevich

What does Jean Françaix sound like? From what I read about him he seems extremely conservative - like Poulenc/Ravel - is there anything more to him than that?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Grazioso

Quote from: Lethe on May 17, 2010, 04:17:41 AM
What does Jean Françaix sound like? From what I read about him he seems extremely conservative - like Poulenc/Ravel - is there anything more to him than that?

What does Francaix sound like? Gallic  ;D Based on what I've heard, I'd say urbane, witty, light-hearted, clear. Fun chamber music.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Lethevich

Hmm, I guess derivative or not, if it's good - it's good :) Thanks.

Scarpia

Quote from: DarkAngel on April 29, 2010, 09:16:47 AM

I made a similar "definitive proclamation" in the HIP Mozart thread....... ;)

Quote from: DarkAngel on March 25, 2010, 07:20:20 AM

Extremely impressed with the new Jacobs 39,40 CD.......
One of the rare performances that makes you think you are hearing these standards fresh again for the 1st time, the music lines are so clarified and transparent you hear all kinds of little details obscured by other versions. Bold, exciting outer movements, charming overall with excellent modern sound from Harmonia Mundi. Comes in 3 panel digipak (2 panel digipak for 38,41 CD), similar in stye to Immerseel recent CD but even better overall

I have 15+ versions of Mozart 38-41 and it may seem impossible choose the best from so many great ones, but I will do it anyway and say Jacobs/HM are now my reference performances

I have the first issue, the one with 38 and 41, and have been trying to decide whether to get the second one with 39 and 40.  I probably will.  I find the recordings quite good, but they did not displace my favorite Harnoncourt/RCO from the top of my list of favorites. 

jlaurson

Classical Music and the 1st Amendment:

http://insidecatholic.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8186&Itemid=48
More Biebls in the Classroom

Quote...The move is superficially innocuous, but if thought through (which the district apparently didn't) it would have heinous consequences. What music is purely secular? If anything with a religious text is out, then Handel Oratorios, Bach Passions, all the requiems (Mozart, Verdi, Berlioz, Brahms, Faure, et al.) are disallowed, along with excerpts therefrom, even in instrumental transcriptions. Bernstein's Mass and "Kaddish" symphony are out. Haydn's "Creation" would be slashed. Spirituals couldn't be performed, and lots of Motown would be banned. If we combed through every instance of music that includes a reference to God or has a hint of Jesus in it, Western music would be slashed to a pitiful trickle. Might someone even suggest the Goldberg Variations could be "too Jewish"? They certainly sound suspicious...

jlaurson

"I Always Wanted to be a Cellist"
Julian Rachlin In Interview

http://www.playbillarts.com/features/article/8405.html

QuoteActually, the main reason why I play viola is that my favorite instrument is not the violin, nor the viola, but the cello. It has always been the cello. It's just that for some reason I didn't become a cellist. My father is a cellist, and becoming a cellist was always my dream. And I was always saying as a child: 'oh, this violin business is all very nice, but of course I'll be a cellist one day.' It just never happened. So the viola is the only way to approach the cello and I actually try to play 'cello' both on the viola and also on the violin. I don't consider myself a classic... you know... completely a violin-violinist."

Lethevich

AfriClassical

Bloody hell, this guy has written about 2000 entries to this blog. I ran into it looking for information on William Grant Still and it seems to be a goldmine in this niche.

Henk

Just listened at the local record store to this disc:

Sounds really refreshing! I will listen to this disc and give my comments.

Henk

Lethevich

I wish Brilliant Classics would put their 3CD sets into slimline boxes (like DG) does rather than those fold-out digipacks, which are flimsy and ugly :-\

Henk

Quote from: Lethe on August 25, 2010, 05:52:10 AM
I wish Brilliant Classics would put their 3CD sets into slimline boxes (like DG) does rather than those fold-out digipacks, which are flimsy and ugly :-\

Their budget image justify ugly boxes. People probably think Brilliant Classics can be cheap because of that, so they buy it. At least that may be the marketing idea behind it. 

Lethevich

;D I can just imagine the conversation:

EMI: Okay, so you are offering to pay me money to licence my recordings on a short-term basis - just what will I get from this deal that I could not make by advertising my own product?*

Brilliant Classics: We will package it in such an ugly digipack that people will want to buy your version anyway!

EMI: Ah, nice, so we'll keep distributing them. It's a deal.

This is actually what I did with the Kempe/Strauss box on EMI. The Brilliant backaging was so ugly that I paid £1 and bought the EMI version.

*As if EMI would ever do such a crazy thing.

Brian

I love the foldout digipacks. Those plastic boxes break so easily, and so often. I have purchased three "EMI Trio" offerings - or whatever they call the recent superbudget 3CD sets. Berwald symphonies, Rachmaninov/Jansons, and Mozart Don Giovanni. Two of the three arrived with broken prongs so the CDs just bounce around in there.

karlhenning

Quote from: Brian on August 27, 2010, 08:50:56 PM
I love the foldout digipacks. Those plastic boxes break so easily, and so often. I have purchased three "EMI Trio" offerings - or whatever they call the recent superbudget 3CD sets. Berwald symphonies, Rachmaninov/Jansons, and Mozart Don Giovanni. Two of the three arrived with broken prongs so the CDs just bounce around in there.

Yes, they can be strangely frail.

Lethevich

I was ambiguous with my wording, I meant that I would prefer a cardboard clamshell box for the 3CDs. Some labels set the threshold to bring that in at 4 discs, but it worked well for Berman's Années de Pèlerinage on DG with 3 discs and makes me glad they didn't use those nasty wide 3CD cases.