The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Lethe on August 28, 2010, 01:54:11 AM
I was ambiguous with my wording, I meant that I would prefer a cardboard clamshell box for the 3CDs. Some labels set the threshold to bring that in at 4 discs, but it worked well for Berman's Années de Pèlerinage on DG with 3 discs and makes me glad they didn't use those nasty wide 3CD cases.

Oh, gotcha! Yes, I would too. Love me those cardboard boxes.

Papy Oli

Seen this documentary earlier today - fascinating to see this "background" work and that search for perfection.

Trailer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx9SijTvL6Q&feature=player_embedded

Write-up in the Guardian :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/aug/16/pianomania-documentary-robert-cibis-interview
Olivier

George

Where'd you see it, Papy? I scoured the internet this morning and it doesn't seem to be playing anwhere near me, nor is it on DVD.  ???

Papy Oli

Quote from: George on August 29, 2010, 11:50:38 AM
Where'd you see it, Papy? I scoured the internet this morning and it doesn't seem to be playing anwhere near me, nor is it on DVD.  ???

It has only been released earlier this month in the UK at a very limited number of cinemas  -  the original release in Austria was only in February.

No details as yet for a release in the US (cinemas or dvd) on the official websites

http://oval-film.com/wordpressEN/?page_id=204

http://www.pianomania.de/
Olivier

George

Quote from: papy on August 29, 2010, 11:57:30 AM
It has only been released earlier this month in the UK at a very limited number of cinemas  -  the original release in Austria was only in February.
No details as yet for a release in the US (cinemas or dvd) on the official websites
http://oval-film.com/wordpressEN/?page_id=204
http://www.pianomania.de/

Thanks! Can't wait to rent it. The previews look wonderful.

Lethevich

Cool thing #1: I just noticed that there are three classically-oriented Romantic symphonies by Mendelssohn, Parry and Stanford titled the "Scottish", "English" and "Irish".

Cool thing #2: All three of these are the "Symphony No.3".

Bad thing: Wales sucks so much that nobody has dared to name anything after it, to complete a potentially awesome British Isles symphonies 2 CD set :'(
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Scarpia

Quote from: Lethe on August 30, 2010, 10:14:53 AM
Cool thing #1: I just noticed that there are three classically-oriented Romantic symphonies by Mendelssohn, Parry and Stanford titled the "Scottish", "English" and "Irish".

Bad thing: Wales sucks so much that nobody has dared to name anything after it, to complete a potentially awesome British Isles symphonies 2 CD set :'(

This is the closest I could come up with:

8)

Lethevich

That is... awesome

Perhaps the prospective symphony could be programmatic of a weekend visit there and thankful return.

I. Introduction: Allegro vivace - Allegro moderato - Allegretto - Andante - Lento assai - Larghissimo - Grave - Graver
II. Adventure through the valleys: Adagio interminablo w/ pibgorn solo
III. Scherzo "There's a dragon on our flag, isn't that cool (no)": Maestoso - Agitato (attaca:)
IV. Finale "At the Severn": (Miner's chorus) Nos da, boyo, nos da...

A composer was able to find a commission to get a "United Kingdom" symphony written (albeit the premiere conductor refused to perform it - it was in the news a few years ago but can't seem to find it on Google), so I'm sure somebody could give this a shot.

Brian

Quote from: Lethe on August 30, 2010, 10:48:39 AM
A composer was able to find a commission to get a "United Kingdom" symphony written (albeit the premiere conductor refused to perform it - it was in the news a few years ago but can't seem to find it on Google), so I'm sure somebody could give this a shot.

Was that the Barry Wordsworth incident?

Lethevich

listener

Noted on the VSO's home page, but not seen elsewhere so this might be a first posting:
Pierre Simard, former Assistant Conductor of Calgary Philharmonic, has been appointed Assistant Conductor of the Vancouver Symphony Orch.  It's not a very public position, he'll probably get a couple of the new music concerts and senior matinees that have not had a conductor assigned, and pre-concert talks.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

jlaurson

Quote from: listener on September 03, 2010, 11:14:18 AM
Noted on the VSO's home page, but not seen elsewhere so this might be a first posting:
Pierre Simard, former Assistant Conductor of Calgary Philharmonic, has been appointed Assistant Conductor of the Vancouver Symphony Orch.  It's not a very public position, he'll probably get a couple of the new music concerts and senior matinees that have not had a conductor assigned, and pre-concert talks.

Hmm... could be a shadow-lurking position, unless he ekes out interesting repertoire performances, rather than just the 'strauss open air festival performances'. Will hear the VSO (under Mikko Franck w/Tzimon Barto) in October, as it happens.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethe on August 30, 2010, 10:14:53 AM

Lol...yeah I would like to hear a "Welsh Symphony."

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 03, 2010, 07:23:18 PM

Lol...yeah I would like to hear a "Welsh Symphony."

:D  You could try Welsh symphonist, Daniel Jones.

Opus106

Does GMG have a thread for useful classical websites?

http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/ (Also www.lieder.net)

This site houses an extensive, growing archive of texts to 84,448 settings of Lieder and other classical art songs (Kunstlieder, mélodies, canzoni, романсы, canciones, liederen, canções, sånger, laulua, písně, piosenki, etc.) and other classical vocal pieces such as short choral works, madrigals and part-songs, in over 90 languages, with 10,693 volunteer translations to English, French, Italian, Dutch, German, Spanish, Portuguese, and other languages.

In this collection there are currently 53,267 texts associated with musical settings. Of these, 19,155 have not yet been located and are placeholders for cross-referencing, and 3,088 are hidden due to copyright restrictions, leaving 31,023 entirely visible to visitors. When possible, first lines are shown.

This website was created in May, 1995 by Emily Ezust, and is offered as a free public service.
Regards,
Navneeth