The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

For some reason I read Burgmuller like Frau Blucher and expect horses to neigh or lightning to strike. ;D

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on October 20, 2010, 12:16:10 PM
For some reason I read Burgmuller like Frau Blucher and expect horses to neigh or lightning to strike. ;D

Somebody just listened to something by Falkenstein in the 'listening thread' and I thought of that creepy guy at the start of the movie who says "Doctor Frankenstein? I am Bruno von Falkstein. I have come from Transylvania to show you your grandfather's will."

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on November 01, 2010, 01:22:44 PM

Rudolf Buchbinder, the Rant: Why Henle are Morons and H&M Ruins Individualism

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2010/11/rudolf-buchbinder-rant-why-henle-are.html

Quote"Take a look at men, walking on the street. They all look the same. With the blue jeans and the jackets." Now I really I feel like protesting, ready to cite myself as an example as someone who dresses decidedly unique. But just before I open my mouth I look down on myself and find myself wearing jeans and a suit jacket. I decide to postpone my counter-critique..."

;D :D ;D

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

DavidW

Jen why are those interviews rendered in the smallest font possible?  It hurts my eyes! :'(

jlaurson

Quote from: DavidW on November 03, 2010, 05:13:14 AM
Jens why are those interviews rendered in the smallest font possible?  It hurts my eyes! :'(

I'm not sure I can follow you... the rendering of the font (perfectly legible on my computer, tending toward big on ionarts and towards medium-smallish on WETA)  is more dependent on your browser settings than anything I do, methinks.

p.s. ooops. looks like rudolf got in trouble with the henle publishing house following the interview.  ::)

DavidW

Oh sorry Jens ;D

No sorry it has nothing to do with browser settings because I have mine set to allow the site to set the font.  And when I was trying to figure out why you are so mean ;D I looked at the source and saw that you chose 10 pt.  10 pt!!

I hate it when people never stop to think about how their site looks on an hd monitor, especially since hd monitors are the norm now. :P

karlhenning

DavidW

Woof indeed!  I've started becoming passionate about readable fonts ever since the kindle greatly reduced eye strain for me. :D

jlaurson

Quote from: DavidW on November 03, 2010, 05:33:02 AM
Oh sorry Jens ;D

No sorry it has nothing to do with browser settings because I have mine set to allow the site to set the font.  And when I was trying to figure out why you are so mean ;D I looked at the source and saw that you chose 10 pt.  10 pt!!

I hate it when people never stop to think about how their site looks on an hd monitor, especially since hd monitors are the norm now. :P

You're talking about WETA, then?

Well, for starters, I have no control over the font-size there... though I'll inquire about it.
HD monitors? Whatever might you mean with that, since that term really only makes sense for SOURCE material and TVs, not computer monitors"
I, for one, have no problems reading anything on my monitor at a resolution of 1680 x 1050 at 32b. Is that already no longer the norm or are my eyes just too young to appreciate the difficulties? In any case, you're the first ever to have mentioned it.

DavidW

HD only refers to resolution, not necessarily source.  I'm using a 1920x1080 monitor and what I see is that the fonts are small on both weta and your blog and on both there are large amounts of unusued white space.  In fact the margins on your weta entry occupy more than 2/3 the space.  Decrease those margins and increase the font, and it would be so much more readable.

DavidW

But I wanted to say that there is nothing particular with those two sites, it's pretty common for sites to be designed poorly these days.  I think that mostly they set them up a few years back when 4:3 low res crts were still the most common and they just don't update.  Even major sites that should know better like cnn and nytimes look bad.  I swear to god I prefer their apps on the touch just because they were designed to be more readable.

jlaurson

jlaurson

A Braunfels Quartet
http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=2418

In light of a plentifully stuffed repertoire in classical music,
from Bach via Bruckner to Boulez (or Vivaldi-Verdi-Varese,
if you wish), there are plenty well known, popular-enough
composers to chose from when performing music. For all
the thrill of discovery, audiences do like what they know
and think they know what they like.

Fine. Just every so often, do get off your arse and try a
Braunfels Quintet...

Brahmsian

Well, I am ELATED at the moment.  Just got a phone call from one of the local TV stations.  I won tickets to the Moscow Ballet's production of the Great Russian Swan Lake!   :)  The Moscow Ballet is touring Canada, and stopping in Winnipeg on November 29th.

I just went to Swan Lake and The Nutcracker last season (but it was the Royal Winnipeg Ballet).

It will be great to see the Moscow Ballet in action!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 08, 2010, 12:40:14 PM
Well, I am ELATED at the moment.  Just got a phone call from one of the local TV stations.  I won tickets to the Moscow Ballet's production of the Great Russian Swan Lake!   :)  The Moscow Ballet is touring Canada, and stopping in Winnipeg on November 29th.

I just went to Swan Lake and The Nutcracker last season (but it was the Royal Winnipeg Ballet).

It will be great to see the Moscow Ballet in action!
Awesome! Very happy for you. Swan Lake really is a great ballet - wonderful music and great dancing.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

DavidW

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on November 08, 2010, 01:15:01 PM
Fantastic Ray!  I'm jealous! :)

I never (or very rarely) enter draws for tickets.  Let's face it, I was probably the only one to put my name down for the tickets.   :D  All kidding aside, it's great to be a classical music fan (it does have its privileges).  Had I put my name down for Justin Bieber tickets, I probably would have had a 1/50,000 chance of winning.  ;D ;D

DavidW

I bet you're not as alone as you think.  I've been too some performances in a smallish city that have drawn more people than who post on this entire forum.  There are alot of classical listeners out there, they just don't like obsessively talking about it like we do. ;D