The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

That's probably why they chose a busy train station instead of say a cafe.

jlaurson

Quote from: DavidW on November 26, 2010, 11:39:27 AM
That's probably why they chose a busy train station instead of say a cafe.

In the morning, in DC?! With bureaucrats on their way to work, prone to be fired for being late? They could have revived Pierre Fournier and have him play the Suites and I would have pushed him out of the way.  And that's just one issue.  ;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on November 26, 2010, 11:34:21 AM
Yes, I believe it has been talked about. And while we do take things for granted, the article and the "experiment" was complete Bull Shit... and deliberately set up to be pointless... manipulated to prove a point that was decided upon long before writing the article.

I've read few articles more dishonest and more insulting to the intelligence of their readers. Enough to still be angry about it, five years after it was written. :-)

Yeah, I agree, it's hard to see how it could have turned out any other way. IIRC, even the people who recognized him and/or wanted to hang for a while simply didn't have time to do it. It's almost as thought the writer had just finished Lebrecht's book and wanted to help him out a little... ::)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Concerto Armonico \ Szüts  Miklos Spanyi (Fortepiano) - Wq 016 Concerto in G for Keyboard 3rd mvmt - Allegretto
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

greg

Quote from: DavidW on November 26, 2010, 07:28:15 AM
Do we take music for granted?  And are we so rushed that we can't stop and appreciate the finer things even when they're right in front of us?

This has probably been talked about before, but I read this article where Joshua Bell performed at a busy metro station in DC, and he went ignored by all but what 6 people out of a 1,000? :o

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html
That was interesting.

Brahmsian

Quote from: jlaurson on November 26, 2010, 11:57:01 AM
In the morning, in DC?! With bureaucrats on their way to work, prone to be fired for being late? They could have revived Pierre Fournier and have him play the Suites and I would have pushed him out of the way.  And that's just one issue.  ;)

Well, you know what Jens, that is exactly part of the problem in today's world.  We are so focused on work, and place way to much importance, emphasis and our energies on our work and careers.

The problem is we don't take the time to stop and smell the roses (listen to the beautiful music).  We are so busy rushing to work, worried our jobs won't be there for us if we don't go the extra mile at work once again for the 1,000th day in a row.

When we have families and put so much emphasis on careers and work, we don't have save adequate or enough energy for our families. 

jlaurson

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 27, 2010, 07:25:05 AM
Well, you know what Jens, that is exactly part of the problem in today's world.  We are so focused on work, and place way to much importance, emphasis and our energies on our work and careers.
The problem is we don't take the time to stop and smell the roses (listen to the beautiful music).  We are so busy rushing to work, worried our jobs won't be there for us if we don't go the extra mile at work once again for the 1,000th day in a row.
When we have families and put so much emphasis on careers and work, we don't have save adequate or enough energy for our families.

Naïveté aside, that's a point about Washington and modern life that a.) didn't need any proof and b.) has nothing to do with music, classical or otherwise, much less Joshua Bell. Which is in turn my point: Why conduct a dishonest experiment of which you know the outcome and which is unrelated to the ingredients? Probably someone worried that his or her job wouldn't be there for him or her if he or she didn't go the extra mile at work...  ;D

Scarpia

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 27, 2010, 07:25:05 AM

Utter nonsense, in my view, at least with regard to the Bell "experiment."  There is a place for everything.  A subway platform is not the place to listen to Bach.  It would be an annoyance, even if I was on my way to a concert hall or to my stereo at home to hear the same music.

And I think to say that the problem with "today's world" is equally nonsensical.  Do you think an 18th century peasant with a starving family at home going to the fields at dawn to try to harvest the potatoes before started to rot would stop to listen, even if Bach himself was playing one of his partitas for violin solo?  Life now is easier than it has ever been, unless you happened to be a prince with an efficient tax collector.

jlaurson

Quote from: Scarpia on November 27, 2010, 09:33:58 AM
...even if Bach himself was playing one of his partitas for violin solo?  Life now is easier than it has ever been, unless you happened to be a prince with an efficient tax collector.
;D :) 8)

Bravo! Spoken from my heart. Although for some people politicians, life is too easy. http://www.forbes.com/2010/11/23/greece-economy-european-union-opinions-contributor-george-pieler-jens-laurson.html

Brian

You know what somebody really needs to record? Rafael Kubelik's three symphonies.

greg

jlaurson

Quote from: Greg on December 09, 2010, 10:33:38 AM
I'm assuming you're going to add 1-9 later?
(because it's a countdown)?
That being the nature of countdowns... yes. 10-2 on ionarts, then the whole list incl. no.1 on WETA. Workin' on no.9 as I type.

DavidW

I love Gatti Jens, thought those Tchaikovsky recordings were lost to the sands of time.  Thank you, and ordered. :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: DavidW on December 09, 2010, 05:59:04 PM
I love Gatti Jens, thought those Tchaikovsky recordings were lost to the sands of time.  Thank you, and ordered. :)
You will enjoy them I think. Nice to see them get recognition too - I agree that they are among the best modern 4-6 cycle available. These (4-6) have done well in recording though, so it quite arguable. Still, one can be quite satisfied (thank you very much) with these if they are your lone recording. And the new price point just reinforces that.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

DavidW

Quote from: ukrneal on December 09, 2010, 11:18:50 PM
You will enjoy them I think. Nice to see them get recognition too - I agree that they are among the best modern 4-6 cycle available. These (4-6) have done well in recording though, so it quite arguable. Still, one can be quite satisfied (thank you very much) with these if they are your lone recording. And the new price point just reinforces that.

I have Karajan in them as well, but kind of tired of him now.  I used to like Mravinsky but even if he's great, I could do better soundwise.  Who do you like in #3?

DavidW

Jens is your list meant to be all are equally fine kind of thing, or are you counting down to the top recording of the year?