The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Jens, I really love both of your choices for #9.
Question: the comment about Antoni Wit and Naxos recording Weinberg's symphonies - is that a joke or a real report?

Side note: you really need to hear Weinberg's Cello Concerto. Definitely the most instantly "appealing" piece of his I've heard so far, and boy is it a great one.

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on December 11, 2010, 11:24:00 AM
Jens, I really love both of your choices for #9.
Question: the comment about Antoni Wit and Naxos recording Weinberg's symphonies - is that a joke or a real report?

Side note: you really need to hear Weinberg's Cello Concerto. Definitely the most instantly "appealing" piece of his I've heard so far, and boy is it a great one.

Re: Naxos / Wit: that's straight from the horse's mouth; the horse's name being Klaus Heymann, in that case. Haven't published the interview yet, but that's an excerpt.

Quote from: DavidW on December 11, 2010, 11:19:16 AM
Jens is your list meant to be all are equally fine kind of thing, or are you counting down to the top recording of the year?

Everything included had been whittled down considerably... but there's still a ranking involved here; counting toward those I presumably love the best. Differences aren't great enough to endow this with more than emotional meaning, I suppose, but still...

Brian

Quote from: jlaurson on December 11, 2010, 12:23:05 PM
Re: Naxos / Wit: that's straight from the horse's mouth; the horse's name being Klaus Heymann, in that case. Haven't published the interview yet, but that's an excerpt.

Awesome! Get them to do the Cello Concerto. Actually, they'd probably use Dmitry Yablonsky as soloist, wouldn't they? He's got too jumpy and nasal a style to bring it off. Wendy Warner could do it on Cedille Records...

jlaurson

jlaurson

Best Recordings of 2010 Countdown

# 4
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2010/12/best-recordings-of-2010-4.html

Maffei, Beethoven...

DavidW

If it's anything like their Mozart VCs set that Zehetmair/Bruggen Beethoven cd has to be gold! :)

btw that Gatti Tchaikovsky set is amazing!!! :)

DavidW

Ah shucks!  I thought the Minkowski set would be #1, well it got close.

Opus106

Let's start a guessing game: what is Jens' #1 recording of 2010 -- new and re-release?

I'll start: I have absolutely no idea... so far.
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

If it hasn't been mentioned yet... I'm going to go with that Petrenko recording for my guess.  It's pretty hot shit. :)

Opus106

I wouldn't be surprised if the re-release category included either of the DG Mahler boxes. For the new release, the Szymanowski/Boulez?
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Quote from: Opus106 on December 16, 2010, 09:50:43 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the re-release category included either of the DG Mahler boxes. For the new release, the Szymanowski/Boulez?

...neither.  8)

DavidW

Quote from: jlaurson on December 17, 2010, 02:32:10 AM
...neither.  8)

I'm not surprised you weren't 100% with the choices for the people's edition.  Actually I don't know what the other dg set is that Navneeth is talking about.

I didn't know that you were really serious about the Raff, I thought that you were just championing a minor composer! :D  I'll have to check it out some time.

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on December 17, 2010, 05:58:16 AM
Actually I don't know what the other dg set is that Navneeth is talking about.

Dude! :o (Some Mahler fan you are ::) ;) )

The Complete Mahler Edition
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Ah... refreshing two-hour conversation with young(ish) Norwegian conductor Eivind Gullberg Svenson... some of it even about music.

Quote from: DavidW on December 17, 2010, 05:58:16 AM
I'm not surprised you weren't 100% with the choices for the people's edition.  Actually I don't know what the other dg set is that Navneeth is talking about.

I didn't know that you were really serious about the Raff, I thought that you were just championing a minor composer! :D  I'll have to check it out some time.

yes, perhaps. But a MAJOR minor composer.

The Mahler Edition (not the people's edition, which I lobbied completely very unsuccessfully to turn into something VERY different) is very good of course; not that I asked to have it sent to me, since I already have every recording included on it... but somehow... I try not to include too many huge box sets in the re-issue column; there are enough in it as it is. Anyway, didn't quite tickle me the right way...

DavidW

Quote from: Opus106 on December 17, 2010, 06:05:20 AM
Dude! :o (Some Mahler fan you are ::) ;) )

The Complete Mahler Edition

Oh son of a.... that's better than the people's edition!! >:(

Well I'm not much of a Mahler fan anymore, those days have passed years ago.  My favorite composers are Haydn and Bach. :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on December 17, 2010, 06:16:39 AM
Oh son of a.... that's better than the people's edition!! >:(

Well I'm not much of a Mahler fan anymore, those days have passed years ago.  My favorite composers are Haydn and Bach. :)

Love the new avatar David!

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on December 17, 2010, 06:16:39 AM
Well I'm not much of a Mahler fan anymore, those days have passed years ago.

Oh. Didn't know that.
Regards,
Navneeth