The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Not sure I want to start a thread just to post another Best of 2010, but I do have another category for 2010:  'Best Pieces in 2010 to finally make an impression'

For me, two works clearly are the front runners:

1) Mahler's 7th Symphony
2) Brahms' 2nd Symphony

Opus106

The eighteenth and nineteenth centuries produced few native English composers of any real note, so the practical music-loving aristocracy of London came up with a delightful way to ensure continued involvement in European music: they would, from time to time, invite a continental composer over for an extended stay or perhaps many shorter ones, treat him like royalty, play his music, and, eventually, send him along on his way. [Source]

Didn't know about that, either.

;D
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Quote from: Opus106 on December 17, 2010, 06:18:26 AM
Oh. Didn't know that.

Yeah I've listened to Mahler's symphonies no more than twice over in the past three years, while I've listened to most of Haydn and Bach's works several times!  Actually I don't listen to Romantic era music that much, I currently listen to baroque and modern the most frequently, and then classical but only half as much (guess I overdosed on Haydn a bit), and then romantic is more like sometimes.

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on December 17, 2010, 06:24:40 AM
Yeah I've listened to Mahler's symphonies no more than twice over in the past three years, while I've listened to most of Haydn and Bach's works several times!  Actually I don't listen to Romantic era music that much, I currently listen to baroque and modern the most frequently, and then classical but only half as much (guess I overdosed on Haydn a bit), and then romantic is more like sometimes.

I have noticed that ever since I began visiting GMG, the amount of post-Beethoven and mid-19th C music I listen to has considerably gone down. Increased has the early-to-mid 20th C music.
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Ha! I almost guessed the Schumann disc, but for some reason I thought it would be something more "high profile."
Regards,
Navneeth

Lethevich

I think that with this, PortugalSom has just taken CPO's crown for dreadful translation of booklet notes:

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brian

Naxos.com's homepage is featuring a singer named Michael Bundy, and when I saw his name, I realized that the name Bundy has been ruined for me forever.

BTW Sara, that is really funny.

MN Dave

Whenever I get adventurous and try some modern music, it scares me away again and I run back to my comfort zone.  ;D

Opus106

Quote from: MN Dave on December 22, 2010, 05:00:16 AM
Whenever I get adventurous and try some modern music, it scares me away again and I run back to my comfort zone.  ;D

It happens to me, too, sometimes, but I also notice my comfort zone expanding with time.
Regards,
Navneeth

MN Dave

Quote from: Opus106 on December 22, 2010, 05:02:09 AM
It happens to me, too, sometimes, but I also notice my comfort zone expanding with time.

Me 2

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on December 22, 2010, 05:00:16 AM

Does Henningmusick scare you?  (I ask in earnest.)

MN Dave

Brian

What really surprises me is that once "atonal honking" gets really, really scary and chaotic and mortifying, then we come full circle and I start to like it again. My favorite "modernist" (in the pejorative sense, and in quotation marks) symphony is Hartmann's Sixth, because it's just so darn crazy and maniacal that I can get scared by it and totally enjoy the feeling.

MN Dave

I don't know. There's no Beethoven in this crowd that I've heard.

karlhenning

Well, none of us lives in Beethoven's world, and Beethoven has long been part of ours. The world changes.

karlhenning

MN Dave

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 22, 2010, 05:50:55 AM
Well, none of us lives in Beethoven's world, and Beethoven has long been part of ours. The world changes.

I know. There's only one. Same with pop: The Beatles. And then there's everyone else.  ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on December 22, 2010, 05:52:35 AM
I know. There's only one. Same with pop: The Beatles. And then there's everyone else.  ;D

Don't push it buster! ; )

Though it's true: I did actually load some of Los Cuatro Fab onto the Sansa Fuze player last night.

(None of it's come up via shuffle yet, though.)

MN Dave

Now you just need some Beethoven...and Judas Priest.

*runs away*