The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

My new essay is Classical Music on Twitter, the first half of which is a casual look at how musicians can and currently do use Twitter for outreach and for fun; the second half is a non-exhaustive directory of prominent musicians, composers, and organizations on Twitter (including, of course, our own @karlhenning). I am somewhat totally flattered and awed to have a praise quote: "A really fascinating read." - Joyce DiDonato

Lethevich

Why are Bach's English suites so-named? They use no English and many French dances.

I should know better than to ask things before reading the Wikipedia article :-*
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brian

Quote from: jlaurson on February 14, 2011, 10:37:12 AM

Ionarts-at-Large: Hélène Grimaud's Ravel and London Strauss
http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/02/ionarts-at-large-helene-grimauds-ravel.html

1. I'm not sure why I didn't go to that. Maybe because I've seen Grimaud live in Houston twice and skipped over the programme with her name in the header, when going through the brochure, because even though she makes an amusing interview (in a chat for students after one, a girl asked for advice for a young musician and she said "If you can do anything else, do that instead!"), she's never really inspired me.
2. Any friend of Walter Kaufmann's is a friend of mine. A man who rendered sublime Nietzsche and who wrote highly poetic (and, needless to say, intelligent) philosophy himself.

Marc

Whilst I was searching the Internet for some moving pictures of the immortal Helmut Walcha playing the organ and/or harpsichord, I ran into this link:

http://www.ina.fr/art-et-culture/musique/video/SXF99002234/un-doyen-de-40-ans-le-festival-international-de-musique.fr.html

I think this is 1972 (40th jubilee of the Strasbourg International Music Festival), and I really enjoyed this fine documentary of 23 minutes!

RJR

Quote from: Brian on February 14, 2011, 11:01:05 AM
1. I'm not sure why I didn't go to that. Maybe because I've seen Grimaud live in Houston twice and skipped over the programme with her name in the header, when going through the brochure, because even though she makes an amusing interview (in a chat for students after one, a girl asked for advice for a young musician and she said "If you can do anything else, do that instead!"), she's never really inspired me.
2. Any friend of Walter Kaufmann's is a friend of mine. A man who rendered sublime Nietzsche and who wrote highly poetic (and, needless to say, intelligent) philosophy himself.
The Faith of a Heretic and Shakespeare to Existentialism. Great books as well by Walter Kaufmann.

RJR

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 03, 2010, 07:23:18 PM

Lol...yeah I would like to hear a "Welsh Symphony."
With a plate of Welsh Rarebit and a pint of stout.

RJR

Quote from: Brian on March 20, 2010, 07:16:28 AM
I've often wondered that myself. Yeah, as Op 106 points out, all countries produced conductors, but something about Hungary ... Fricsay, too, and Arthur Nikisch, who made the first (?) Beethoven's Fifth recording, and Christoph von Dohnanyi barely missed the cut by being "of Hungarian descent." Crazy amount of talent in the conducting department. Especially, as you point out, with American orchestras (Nikisch, by the way, took the LSO on its first tour of America...or indeed, the first American tour of any big European orchestra)
There was a book published not too long ago on the history of the London Symphony Orchestra. Perhaps you've already read it.

Opus106

Is the "Gewandhaus-Quartett" the same as the Leipzig Gewandhaus Quartet (the group that records for MDG)? There is a new release from BC containing the quartets of Mendelssohn, played by the former. I gather from the listing at JPC, that this may have been licensed from NCA (hadn't heard of the name before).
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Quote from: RJR on February 15, 2011, 03:51:13 PM
The Faith of a Heretic and Shakespeare to Existentialism. Great books as well by Walter Kaufmann.

Faith of a Heretic is a masterpiece and should have made Dawkins et al completely unnecessary. This week I was marveling at just what an astonishing selection he assembled for his anthology Religion from Tolstoy to Camus. A lot of surprising/revelatory essays by unlikely people.

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Quote from: Opus106 on February 21, 2011, 10:30:12 PM
Ah, so the one that records for MDG is simply the Leipzig String Quartet. Thanks.

Searches are made more difficult, since in German they go by "Leipziger Streichquartett"...

...and for some strange reason the box of the complete Mendelssohn seems out everywhere, just not in the US.

Edit: I was just told that the box set is a "special edition" for Europe--and no plans to offer it in the US with the five discs that make up the set being available individually.

Complete String Quartets Vol. 1
Opus 12 E flat major/Es-Dur
Opus 13 A minor/a-Moll

MDG 307 1055-2

Complete String Quartets Vol. 2
Opus 44,1 D major/D-Dur
Opus 44,2 E minor/e-Moll
Fuga Opus 81,4
Capriccio Opus 81,3

MDG 307 1168-2

Complete String Quartets Vol. 3
Opus 44,3 E flat major/Es-Dur
Scherzo. Allegro leggiero Opus 81,2
Tema con variazioni. Andante Opus 81,1
Opus 80 F minor / f-Moll

MDG 307 1056-2

Complete String Quartets Vol. 4
Quartett Es-Dur
Oktett op. 20

MDG 307 1057-2

The Hebrides op. 26
Symphony No. 5 op. 107 "Reformation"
Ruy Blas op. 95
Symphony No. 1 op. 11

MDG 307 1469-2

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on February 22, 2011, 03:06:03 AM[F]or some strange reason the box of the complete Mendelssohn seems out everywhere, just not in the US.

I see it at the European Amazons (!) and JPC.
Regards,
Navneeth

MishaK

Quote from: Opus106 on February 21, 2011, 10:30:12 PM
Ah, so the one that records for MDG is simply the Leipzig String Quartet. Thanks.

The also recorded a killer disc of the Bruckner quartet and quintet.

Scarpia

Quote from: jlaurson on February 21, 2011, 05:21:24 PM
Mendelssohn Quartets Galore
http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=2814

Your article says the Leipzig plays at the National Gallery on March 5th.   The correct date is the 6th (according to the link to the National Gallery web site).