The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 04, 2011, 03:47:50 PM
Your article says the Leipzig plays at the National Gallery on March 5th.   The correct date is the 6th (according to the link to the National Gallery web site).

Thanks! I've had the sub-editor fired.

jlaurson

jlaurson

Ionarts-at-Large: Beethoven Between Agony and Delight

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/03/ionarts-at-large-beethoven-between.html

In Mme. Grimaud there is something—although I can't quite put my finger on what it is—that stands between her monochromatic renditions and the tediousness that a lesser, if similar straight-forward, bland pianist would evoke.

Or so I thought...

jlaurson

Quote from: jlaurson on March 13, 2011, 11:28:21 AM
How incredibly awesome is this!?!?!

W.G. Mozart (1756 – 1791),
Keyboard Music v.2
Sonata K.330, Rondo K.511, Adagio K.540 et al.
Kristian Bezuidenhout
McNulty copy of an Anton Walter & Sohn (~1802)
Harmonia Mundi

Dip Your Ears, No. 107

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/03/dip-your-ears-no-107.html

For the longest time (well, a couple years, at least) my favorite Mozart
Sonata CD on the fortepiano had been Kristian Bezuidenhout's disc on
Fleur de Son. Well, move over Bezuidenhout and make room for...
Bezuidenhout.

mc ukrneal

Not really sure where this post would best fit. but it seems there is a new mass from the mid-1500s which is higher than Eminem, Bon Jovi and others on the British charts! Alas, on the classical charts, it is #2, behind Andre Rieu.

Here is the article: http://new.music.yahoo.com/various-artists/news/quot-lost-quot-450-year-old-mass-soars-on-british-charts--62010114
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Opus106 on February 17, 2011, 07:01:52 AM
Is the "Gewandhaus-Quartett" the same as the Leipzig Gewandhaus Quartet (the group that records for MDG)? There is a new release from BC containing the quartets of Mendelssohn, played by the former. I gather from the listing at JPC, that this may have been licensed from NCA (hadn't heard of the name before).

Interesting... Do you know if all the string quartets are performed by the Gewandhaus Quartett?

If that, apparently BC would have licensed this 4-CD set from NCA (New Classical Adventure):

I have their set with the complete Beethoven string quartets and they are just superb. This ensemble is formed by the concertmasters and principal viola and cello of the Gewandhaus Orchestra. 

Opus106

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on March 23, 2011, 01:56:03 AM
Interesting... Do you know if all the string quartets are performed by the Gewandhaus Quartett?

Indeed, they are.
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on March 23, 2011, 01:56:03 AM

If that, apparently BC would have licensed this 4-CD set from NCA (New Classical Adventure):

I have their set with the complete Beethoven string quartets and they are just superb. This ensemble is formed by the concertmasters and principal viola and cello of the Gewandhaus Orchestra.

The Leipzig Gewandhaus Quartet is not the same as the Leipzig String Quartet... the latter record for MDG (and have recorded the complete Mendelssohn, also). The former record(ed) for NCA and that's the set Brilliant has currently licensed.  See also: http://www.weta.org/fmblog/?p=2814

jlaurson

Lethevich

Just when I was thinking I had a grip on late Romantic French composers, I run into this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Labey

I then Google him, only to find that perhaps none of his music has been recorded.

There's still so much for record labels to discover :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lethevich

I bought this a while ago, but have only just noticed a key feature of it:

[asin]B00015T1OA[/asin]

The disc contains a piano sonata and solo sonatas for violin and viola, and each piece appears to be performed by the same person :o

I've heard of violinists trying out the viola for shits and giggles, and Julia Fischer, for example, is a fine violinisit and pianist, but three?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Papy Oli

for those based in the UK, on TV tonight :

Holst - In the Bleak Midwinter
Sunday 24 April
9:00pm - 11:20pm
BBC4

QuoteThis two-hour musical biography of Gustav Holst sits impressively in Tony Palmer's array of marvellous films about musicians. Born in Cheltenham in 1874 to a family with a German background, Holst became one of the foremost English composers. Yet his work owed little to Englishness; he opposed imperialism and the use of his music in the hymn to patriotism I Vow to Thee, My Country. His Planets suite, is, we learn, one of the most original works in English music. A generous set of performances interleaves here with the story of a remarkable man.

An article by the maker of the documentary here.

edit : oops, it was mentioned already by Pierre (Boris G) in the Holst thread.

Olivier

Opus106

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 24, 2011, 04:24:45 AM
for those based in the UK, on TV tonight :

Holst - In the Bleak Midwinter
Sunday 24 April
9:00pm - 11:20pm
BBC4

An article by the maker of the documentary here.

edit : oops, it was mentioned already by Pierre (Boris G) in the Holst thread.

Nothing to "oop" about. Some of us don't visit the Holst thread ;), but are grateful to you for posting it here, despite the fact that one of the aforementioned some doesn't have access to BBC4.
Regards,
Navneeth