The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Boy Kremer's cadenzas in the Beethoven Violin Concerto (in the Harnoncourt set) are out of control!  Really wild, out there let's have fun. :D

What are your favorite candenzas that you've heard in recordings or performances?

karlhenning

Quote from: haydnfan on May 14, 2011, 12:26:30 PM
Boy Kremer's cadenzas in the Beethoven Violin Concerto (in the Harnoncourt set) are out of control!  Really wild, out there let's have fun. :D

What are your favorite candenzas that you've heard in recordings or performances?

The Schnittke cadenze? Kremer in the Opus 61 could be the clincher for me ...

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 16, 2011, 02:44:37 AM
The Schnittke cadenze? Kremer in the Opus 61 could be the clincher for me ...

Another vote for Kremer! ;D  What is the Schnittke cadenza... as in he wrote a candenza for the lvb vc or there is a great cadenza in one of his concertos?

jlaurson

Quote from: haydnfan on May 16, 2011, 05:37:42 AM
Another vote for Kremer! ;D  What is the Schnittke cadenza... as in he wrote a candenza for the lvb vc or there is a great cadenza in one of his concertos?

Schnittke wrote a cadenza for Beethoven's op.61; Gidon Kremer recorded it with Neville Marriner & AStMitF (Philips).

L.v.Beethoven
Violin Concerto (w/Schnittke Cadenza)
Kremer - Marriner

Myself, I am partial to the Beethoven-Schneiderhan cadenza ("op.61b")

karlhenning

Thanks for the clarification, Jens.

DavidW

DavidW

Mn Dave

Ripping my meager classical CD collection to my hard drive.  :) I think I have more download albums than CD's.

DavidW

Quote from: Mn Dave on May 22, 2011, 04:48:38 AM
Ripping my meager classical CD collection to my hard drive.  :) I think I have more download albums than CD's.

I have about 4 gigs of downloaded albums vs ~215 gigs of flac or ~80 gigs of mp3s ripped.  I think I'm going to need a bigger hd soon.  Is your meager my meager?  I bet your collection is bigger! :D

Mn Dave

Quote from: haydnfan on May 22, 2011, 07:03:57 AM
I have about 4 gigs of downloaded albums vs ~215 gigs of flac or ~80 gigs of mp3s ripped.  I think I'm going to need a bigger hd soon.  Is your meager my meager?  I bet your collection is bigger! :D

Are you talking just classical or everything?

DavidW

Quote from: Mn Dave on May 22, 2011, 07:54:20 AM
Are you talking just classical or everything?

For me it doesn't matter I don't have that much pop music. But to answer your question-- everything.

Mn Dave

Quote from: haydnfan on May 22, 2011, 12:14:04 PM
For me it doesn't matter I don't have that much pop music. But to answer your question-- everything.

It might be around the same gig size as yours but I don't rip anything to FLAC either. So maybe more recordings.

Mn Dave

I've been taking classical music seriously for about 26 years now.

DavidW

Quote from: Mn Dave on May 22, 2011, 12:17:31 PM
It might be around the same gig size as yours but I don't rip anything to FLAC either. So maybe more recordings.

Uh yeah that is 3x more! ;D

DavidW

Quote from: Mn Dave on May 22, 2011, 12:40:02 PM
I've been taking classical music seriously for about 26 years now.

You've been taking classical music seriously since I was 5! :o

Mn Dave

Quote from: haydnfan on May 22, 2011, 03:09:48 PM
You've been taking classical music seriously since I was 5! :o

Really? Ha! You're a youngin'. ;)

Lethevich

I know it's the podium, but Celi looks so creepy here - like one of the Rheingold giants in Boulez's floppy-arms production.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.