The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mn Dave

20th Century composers and I.

Love: NA

Like well enough: Barber, Bartók, Bax, Bernstein, Brian, Britten, Busoni, Górecki, Holst, Janáček, Khachaturian, Mahler, Nielsen, Orff, Prokofieff, Satie, Scriabin, Shostakovich, Sibelius, Strauss, Weill, Zwilich

No: Berg, Copland, Gershwin, Ives, Messiaen, Vaughan Williams, Schoenberg, Stravinsky

The jury is out: Bloch, Davies, Duruflé, Enesco, Ginastera, Hanson, Harris, Hindemith, Honegger, Ibert, Kodály, Martin, Martinu, Menotti, Milhaud, Mompou, Piston, Poulenc, Rubbra, Schmidt, Schuller, Schuman, Sessions, Simpson, Szymanowski, Thompson, Thomson, Tippett, Tournemire, Tubin, Turina, Villa-lobos, Walton, Respighi, Rodrigo

karlhenning

I think I shall probably count as a 21st-c. composer, anyway ; )

Mn Dave

Mn Dave

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 25, 2011, 10:25:42 AM
I think I shall probably count as a 21st-c. composer, anyway ; )

Although Sibelius, Shostakovich and Prokofiev have individual pieces I really love.

eyeresist

Quote from: Mn Dave on May 25, 2011, 10:00:05 AM
Like well enough: Barber, Bartók, Bax, Bernstein, Brian, Britten, Busoni, Górecki, Holst, Janáček, Khachaturian, Mahler, Nielsen, Orff, Prokofieff, Satie, Scriabin, Shostakovich, Sibelius, Strauss, Weill, Zwilich

No: Berg, Copland, Gershwin, Ives, Messiaen, Vaughan Williams, Schoenberg, Stravinsky

The jury is out: Bloch, Davies, Duruflé, Enesco, Ginastera, Hanson, Harris, Hindemith, Honegger, Ibert, Kodály, Martin, Martinu, Menotti, Milhaud, Mompou, Piston, Poulenc, Rubbra, Schmidt, Schuller, Schuman, Sessions, Simpson, Szymanowski, Thompson, Thomson, Tippett, Tournemire, Tubin, Turina, Villa-lobos, Walton, Respighi, Rodrigo

Surprised you don't like Vaughan Williams or Copland. The Naxos disc of Copland's early symphonies is pretty good.

Mn Dave

Quote from: eyeresist on May 25, 2011, 06:05:15 PM
Surprised you don't like Vaughan Williams or Copland. The Naxos disc of Copland's early symphonies is pretty good.

I guess my Vaughan Williams rating is more indifference than anything. Maybe I haven't heard enough; maybe I have. :)

Copland does not do it for me at all. I know. Shocker.  :-\

Scarpia

Quote from: Mn Dave on May 25, 2011, 06:13:23 PM
I guess my Vaughan Williams rating is more indifference than anything. Maybe I haven't heard enough; maybe I have. :)

Is your exposure to Vaughan Williams the English Folk Song type stuff, or the more thorny works?

Mn Dave

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 26, 2011, 12:28:30 PM
Is your exposure to Vaughan Williams the English Folk Song type stuff, or the more thorny works?

Oh, a little bit of everything. It's probably that I haven't found the right entry piece for myself. Or I'm not trying hard enough. But should I have to try that hard? :)

Scarpia

Quote from: Mn Dave on May 26, 2011, 12:42:38 PM
Oh, a little bit of everything. It's probably that I haven't found the right entry piece for myself. Or I'm not trying hard enough. But should I have to try that hard? :)

No, just curious.  He is a composer who seems to compose in a broader range of styles than most.

Lethevich

Some of you may remember the "esteemed" Dr. David Wright, who got quietly kicked out of MusicWeb for being a bit of a nutter. He seems to have found some friends who share his perculiar interests with him so closely that I assume he's conversing with his own sockpuppet:

Link to another rant about Britten from his new website (PDF).

Choice quote: "He was a criminal in the days when homosexuality was illegal"
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

jlaurson

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 12, 2011, 04:14:33 PM
Some of you may remember the "esteemed" Dr. David Wright, who got quietly kicked out of MusicWeb for being a bit of a nutter. He seems to have found some friends who share his perculiar interests with him so closely that I assume he's conversing with his own sockpuppet:

Wow. Just "wow". Cringeworthyhilariousandveryverysad! The copyright notice alone is terrific... and the rest... an imbecilic rant that beggars belief. No wonder he was asked to leave the pastures of GMGCMF behind...

Brian

Two can play this game! (Re-arranged below to reflect my me.)

Quote from: Mn Dave on May 25, 2011, 10:00:05 AM
20th Century composers and I.

Love: Atterberg, Gershwin, Janáček, Ravel, Roussel, Shostakovich, Sibelius

Like quite a bit: Bernstein, Copland, Ibert, Hartmann, Holst, Khachaturian, Kodály, Martinu, Lutoslawski, Poulenc, Rachmaninov, Respighi, Rodrigo, Scriabin, Strauss, Turina, Villa-lobos

Like well enough: Barber, Ginastera, Górecki, Hindemith, Ives, Lloyd, Milhaud, Suk, Stravinsky, Vaughan Williams, Walton

No: Berg, Davies, Orff [O Fortuna drives me batty, that's all], Schoenberg

Indifferent/Unmoved: Bartók, Bax, Busoni, Hanson, Satie

The jury is out: Bloch, Brian, Britten, Duruflé, Enesco, Harris, Honegger, Mahler, Martin, Menotti, Messiaen, Mompou, Nielsen, Piston, Prokofieff, Rubbra, Schmidt, Schuller, Schuman, Sessions, Simpson, Szymanowski, Thompson, Thomson, Tippett, Tournemire, Tubin, Weill, Zwilich

Dave, you do know you left Ravel off, right? And Roussel? And Rachmaninov?

eyeresist

No, he didn't - check again.

Brian

Quote from: eyeresist on June 13, 2011, 01:10:07 AM
No, he didn't - check again.

Yes, he did - they're in the quoted version in my post because I rearranged all the composers to display my own tastes.

Brian

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 12, 2011, 04:14:33 PM

And there's the part where they spell his name "Britain"...

EDIT: Though my favorite bit is that "sexy" is frequently used as a pejorative.