The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on June 13, 2011, 02:05:16 AM
And there's the part where they spell his name "Britain"...

EDIT: Though my favorite bit is that "sexy" is frequently used as a pejorative.

I think no pretense needs to be made calling the author(s) "they". If you compare the "response" of "40 eminent musicians to the brilliant Dr. Watson's lucid essay on Benjamin Britten", you will find that the examples, anecdotes, even the spelling mistakes and the frequent habit of just dropping entire words is the very same.
I wouldn't, however, rule out that in his mind these authors are 'separate'.

Brian

Question
When string players are playing so hard (?) that they make those annoying click/scratch sounds, is there a word for that sound?

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on June 16, 2011, 07:19:42 AM
Question
When string players are playing so hard (?) that they make those annoying click/scratch sounds, is there a word for that sound?

On purpose or as a by-product of enthusiasm gone overboard?
If the former, it's best to look into the score... if it's strepitoso (rare), or sulla tastiera (which can explain the clicking of strings on the fingerboard), sforzato, or the like.
If not... I can't think of a term that would neatly describe it better than the words you suggest. And it wasn't 'col legno', presumably... because you would have noticed...

Brian

Quote from: jlaurson on June 16, 2011, 08:43:16 AM
On purpose or as a by-product of enthusiasm gone overboard?

Certainly the latter - I mean accidental byproducts of enthusiasm heard in some performances but not others. I'll try to find a clip if uncertainty remains...

Lethevich

What is wrong with Amazon's classical reviewers? Many of the major contributors seem extremely angry and combatative, to the extent that I don't click on review comments any more because it's no doubt part of some gigantic cross-post series of skirmishes between various factions unknown to me. It's bizarre :-\
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lethevich

Does anybody know exactly what went on with the piano music attributed to George Gurdjieff? I can't find a helpful source, but it has the appearance that Thomas de Hartmann must have written it all rather than co-wrote, with Gurdjieff acting merely as a "mentor" figure, and as such should I file it under Hartmann rather than Gurdjieff?

jlaurson

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 24, 2011, 07:21:05 AM
Does anybody know exactly what went on with the piano music attributed to George Gurdjieff? I can't find a helpful source, but it has the appearance that Thomas de Hartmann must have written it all rather than co-wrote, with Gurdjieff acting merely as a "mentor" figure, and as such should I file it under Hartmann rather than Gurdjieff?

We (Tower DC) always filed under "Hartmann, T.de". He wrote the music... or 'interpreted' the hummings of Gurdjieff, if you wish

Lethevich

chasmaniac

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 12, 2011, 04:14:33 PM
Some of you may remember the "esteemed" Dr. David Wright, who got quietly kicked out of MusicWeb for being a bit of a nutter. He seems to have found some friends who share his perculiar interests with him so closely that I assume he's conversing with his own sockpuppet:

Link to another rant about Britten from his new website (PDF).

Choice quote: "He was a criminal in the days when homosexuality was illegal"

This stuff is hilarious! Any chance Poe's Law applies and the whole thing's a send-up? If not, let me amend my reaction to: How sad.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI ยง217

DavidW

Quote from: chasmaniac on June 24, 2011, 07:37:42 AM
Any chance Poe's Law applies and the whole thing's a send-up? If not, let me amend my reaction to: How sad.

Unfortunately not... Wright is a well known crank.

Lethevich

Those of you who don't use/enable AdBlock on this forum may have noticed a "download Bach's WTC here" banner during the past week or two. I wish I could find it now, but yesterday I Googled the pianist, and it turns out he has a rather colourful history.

This may be the world's first case of a fraudster working his way out of bankrupcy by recording Bach :) It beats honest work I suppose :P

kishnevi

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 06, 2011, 01:08:46 PM
Those of you who don't use/enable AdBlock on this forum may have noticed a "download Bach's WTC here" banner during the past week or two. I wish I could find it now, but yesterday I Googled the pianist, and it turns out he has a rather colourful history.

This may be the world's first case of a fraudster working his way out of bankrupcy by recording Bach :) It beats honest work I suppose :P

Thanks.  I was wondering he was.  I clicked on the ad last week just to see who the pianist was (and I suppose clicking on the ad might generate some revenue to GMG?).

Well, he'll just have to play his way out of trouble without my help, I guess.

Lethevich

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 06, 2011, 01:28:41 PM
and I suppose clicking on the ad might generate some revenue to GMG?

Hopefully - I disable my blocker on important sites because of that. A general note to anyone - don't be tempted to overdo the clicks, as G--gle tracks that.

eyeresist

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 06, 2011, 01:34:23 PM
don't be tempted to overdo the clicks, as G--gle tracks that.

- unless you've blocked Google cookies.

Lethevich

Quote from: eyeresist on July 06, 2011, 07:32:38 PM
- unless you've blocked Google cookies.

It's at least in part measured by IP, and also range if it's a dynamic one...

Ah, here we go:

Brian

Next month Opus Arte releases the Blu-Ray of "Anna Nicole: The Opera."

karlhenning

Brian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 07, 2011, 05:37:46 AM
Oh, you don't mean it?

I sincerely regret not seeing it in person and probably will acquire the DVD (though not the Blu-Ray...).

karlhenning

Can't be enough tabloid opera out there for me . . . .

eyeresist

Yes, from the subject and the timing I imagined it to be the "arty" equivalent of Rocky Horror. Should get the queens in though.