The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Just discovered the Timpani label from France. Yikes: looking through their catalog on Classicsonline, I think I want to hear every single release. The programs are all so appetizing - and so many of them have such beautiful cover designs!

Lethevich

Definitely check their Ropartz symphonies and Le Flem. The Chandos series makes the D'Indy less of a discovery than it might have been, but they have a good disc of his chamber music. If you are feeling masochistic, Timpani also recorded some Furtwängler.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lethevich

After leaving a bronzed disc ripping (constant error correction with EAC) for 24 hours, lagging up my PC, I think it's time to abort :( I am perhaps destined not to hear George Lloyd's chamber music ;)

eyeresist

Listening to Prokofiev's Peter & the Wolf (instrumental version on Infinity Digital) had me wondering if Sergei identified with the duck (or as Michael Flanders called her, "the stupid duck"). He was after all a bit of an "odd duck", and ended up through his own foolishness being swallowed by the Soviet Union, much as the duck, after swimming out to safety, came back to land and was swallowed by the wolf.

"If you listen very carefully, you'd hear the duck quacking inside the wolf's belly, because the wolf in his hurry had swallowed her alive."

Lethevich

When I tag CDs, I tend to translate foreign ensemble names into English, this is fine with "symphoniker" and so on, but I just encountered "Neue Düsseldorfer Hofmusik".

What is a "Hofmusik" when it's at home?

Brian

Hmmm... the New Dusseldorf Court Musicians? What an odd name; what are they playing?

How do you translate, say, Hofkapelle Stuttgart (unless you haven't got any of their discs)?

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on July 19, 2011, 12:23:11 PM
Hmmm... the New Dusseldorf Court Musicians? What an odd name; what are they playing?

How do you translate, say, Hofkapelle Stuttgart (unless you haven't got any of their discs)?

Chapel Royal or court orchestra.

Lethevich

Quote from: Brian on July 19, 2011, 12:23:11 PM

This 'un:

I... don't have a clue how I'd do the one you suggest either :'( Why can't they all be easy like the Freiburger Barockorchester. The translation system is useful though, as many Continental European norms involve putting the most generic word (orchestra) at the beginning of the name, rather than the English manner of prioritising the most distinctive word - i.e., the city that the ensemble is from.

Lethevich

Thanks! I know that these things can sometimes be pesky to translate :(

eyeresist

I wonder if I can encourage more forumites to participate in the "GMG's favorite..." threads? Only, at the moment it's the same half dozen people posting repeatedly, which is hardly presentative.

Mn Dave

I don't because I don't consider myself familiar enough to rank so many different pieces.

DavidW

Quote from: Gabrieli on August 04, 2011, 03:49:20 AM
I don't because I don't consider myself familiar enough to rank so many different pieces.

But you have like five billion cds! :D  I have not as many as you but have heard nearly everything on the chamber thread.  Give it a shot! :)

Mn Dave

Quote from: DavidW on August 04, 2011, 04:38:24 AM
But you have like five billion cds! :D  I have not as many as you but have heard nearly everything on the chamber thread.  Give it a shot! :)

I might have heard them but I can't remember them all; I certainly don't know every chamber piece in existence so how could I possibly rank them? And besides, I'm too lazy to figure out how the ranking works.  ;D

Mn Dave

...Though I have been watching the threads. For instance, I wondered why Gurn was dissing the Alkan duo, so I pulled it up on Spotify, listened to it and decided he was crazy. ;)

DavidW

Quote from: Gabrieli on August 04, 2011, 04:59:37 AM
...Though I have been watching the threads. For instance, I wondered why Gurn was dissing the Alkan duo, so I pulled it up on Spotify, listened to it and decided he was crazy. ;)

Wanderer would be ecstatic if you showed up just to support Alkan! :D  All you have to do is +2 one work, +1 another, -1 a third and then post the new board. :)

chasmaniac

Quote from: eyeresist on August 03, 2011, 07:04:15 PM
I wonder if I can encourage more forumites to participate in the "GMG's favorite..." threads? Only, at the moment it's the same half dozen people posting repeatedly, which is hardly presentative.

I did it for a while, but then... ooo, shiny!

I'm easily bore- ooo, another shiny!
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Mn Dave

Quote from: chasmaniac on August 06, 2011, 01:38:44 AM
I did it for a while, but then... ooo, shiny!

I'm easily bore- ooo, another shiny!

;D