The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 31, 2013, 07:04:14 AM
Stop trying to pressure me, Spotify...

I totally agree with Spotify on this occasion.  8)
This, on the other hand... :
QuoteCheck out this song by Günter Wand: Bruckner 5th Symphony

And I would think that people who listen to Rzewski have heard of Prokofiev, so there's no need to recommend his music to that demographic.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

jochanaan

Quote from: North Star on August 31, 2013, 01:02:05 PM
Check out this song by Günter Wand: Bruckner 5th Symphony
Reminds me of the time, many years ago now, when a trombonist coming into an orchestral rehearsal asked humorously, "What song are we doing today?"  The conductor answered, "Prock-a-feef." ;D
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Karl Henning

Call me anything, just don't call me late to the chess match.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Opus106

QuoteBeethoven assigned the publishing rights to Johann Traeg of Vienna. Although the main fair copies are lost, it is recorded that Traeg issued the parts, not publishing a full score, however, until around 1846/7, by which time he had sold his rights to Steiner & Company, also of Vienna. This music therefore could not be examined except through performance for almost forty years.
[Emphasis mine.]

[Source]

Why couldn't someone with enough knowledge simply have bought the parts separately and then re-created the complete score? Leaving questions of whether it's time-consuming aside, is it not possible to create a full score in such a way?
Regards,
Navneeth

TheGSMoeller

Cool, got retweeted by the Berlin Philharmonic...

Parsifal

Quote from: Opus106 on September 01, 2013, 08:00:33 AM
[Emphasis mine.]

[Source]

Why couldn't someone with enough knowledge simply have bought the parts separately and then re-created the complete score? Leaving questions of whether it's time-consuming aside, is it not possible to create a full score in such a way?

It would take rather little knowledge to recreate the score.  But I think there is a point, not that it was impossible to "study" the piece (by doing what you suggest) but that the publisher took for granted that the piece was not worth "studying," and that only performance materials (for domestic entertainment) and not a score would be in demand by the public.

Opus106

Quote from: Scarpia on September 02, 2013, 04:45:26 AM
It would take rather little knowledge to recreate the score.  But I think there is a point, not that it was impossible to "study" the piece (by doing what you suggest) but that the publisher took for granted that the piece was not worth "studying," and that only performance materials (for domestic entertainment) and not a score would be in demand by the public.

Thanks, Scarps. The way it's worded in the notes, I thought that one must have a "secret key" of some sort to complete the score. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Parsifal

Quote from: Opus106 on September 02, 2013, 05:59:42 AM
Thanks, Scarps. The way it's worded in the notes, I thought that one must have a "secret key" of some sort to complete the score. ;D

Just a lot of attention to detail.  Individual parts often have short-hand such as "seven bars of rest" which would have to be made explicit in the score.

Todd

I'm not a fashionista, but that shirt strikes me as just awful, but it may very much be in style. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

jlaurson

Quote from: Todd on September 02, 2013, 08:35:38 AM

I'm not a fashionista, but that shirt strikes me as just awful, but it may very much be in style.

On the upside, she's wearing something.

Parsifal

Brian

Quote from: Todd on September 02, 2013, 08:35:38 AM

I asked a female friend my age. She said: "If it didn't have the flowers all over it I'd like the dress. But as it is... no."

Are they continuing to record with SBYOV because it's cheap? Dudamel has the LAPO, but I imagine they have to get paid like adults...

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on September 04, 2013, 09:46:30 AM
Are they continuing to record with SBYOV because it's cheap? Dudamel has the LAPO, but I imagine they have to get paid like adults...

It's been a while since they last referred to themselves as a Youth Orchestra. Still, they aren't yet "top tier" however popular they might be.
Regards,
Navneeth

kishnevi

I asked a female friend my age. She said: "If it didn't have the flowers all over it I'd like the dress. But as it is... no."

Tiffany lamps do not make good dresses.   I think we can all agree on that.

As to the SBOV vs. LAPO--I'm not sure I'd call the LAPhil a top tier orchestra, in contrast to the SFO upstate.   I'd put it in the top tier of American orchestras, but no further.   And in terms of international name recognition,  SBOV undoubtedly has more at the present moment.  And there are probably some people who look at the acronym LAPO and think it's a spin off of LAPD.

Parsifal

I don't think it is fair to judge the dress without seeing the entire thing.  Those appliqué flowers have recently been in fashion, I believe (although I don't find them attractive), but I do like the stained-glass pattern.

jlaurson

Not that cheap, unless they're recording them in Venezuela or on tour where someone else picks up the tab.
And definitely not the SB"Y"OV anymore... Technically the SBO II, anyway (the original toured until about the 90s; the one that Dudamel became famous with (or made famous) is a different orchestra but confusingly by same name... which toured under varying names in the early years, to make it still more confusing.) The Youth Orchestras of El Sistema are now the Teresa Carreño YO and the Youth Orchestra of Caracas and their kids' orchestra is the National Children's SO of Venezuela. The SBO II may not yet be a super sophisticated Orchestra, but their Mahler (not as difficult as, say, Haydn granted) can measure itself with the best in the world. M3 in Salzburg was fantastic w/best last movement I've heard live... and M7 was very good, with a hugely impressive Scherzo.

TheGSMoeller