The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

I've just discovered that The Sixteen Harry Christophers are not, in fact, a vocal group consisting entirely of people named Harry Christopher, but a vocal group called The Sixteen conducted by a person named Harry Christophers.

In retrospect, that seems the only logical conclusion, yet nonetheless I feel my world is slightly poorer for having learned this fact.

kishnevi

Quote from: amw on October 27, 2013, 02:13:08 PM
I've just discovered that The Sixteen Harry Christophers are not, in fact, a vocal group consisting entirely of people named Harry Christopher, but a vocal group called The Sixteen conducted by a person named Harry Christophers.

In retrospect, that seems the only logical conclusion, yet nonetheless I feel my world is slightly poorer for having learned this fact.

And to add to confusion,  the number of vocalists is not always sixteen.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 27, 2013, 07:48:46 PM

Well, probably shouldn't be.

(Of course, one might add that if you have sixteen singers, they probably shouldn't all be named Harry Christopher, either . . . .)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jochanaan

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 27, 2013, 07:48:46 PM
Sounds like The BareNaked Ladies, who neither are ladies nor perform in the nude... ;)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Karl Henning

False advertising, dadgummit!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

jochanaan

Imagination + discipline = creativity

TheGSMoeller

Brian

Interesting to me that Maurizio Pollini, according to ArkivMusic, has only recorded music by 18 composers in a nearly 50-year career. He's been unusually adventurous in 20th century repertoire, but 18 seems scant, and before 1900 there are some amazing omissions. Never a single solo work by Mozart, Haydn, Brahms; just one by J.S. Bach. Nothing from Ravel, Scriabin, Rachmaninov.

For context: Yevgeny Sudbin, who I think is around age 30, has already recorded music by 17 different composers. Herbert Schuch has done 14.

I wonder if this reflects more on Pollini, or on the variety and learn-everything-ness that we expect of virtuosos in the 21st century, which wasn't necessarily the case when Pollini was young?

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on November 06, 2013, 05:23:32 PM
Interesting to me that Maurizio Pollini, according to ArkivMusic, has only recorded music by 18 composers in a nearly 50-year career. He's been unusually adventurous in 20th century repertoire, but 18 seems scant, and before 1900 there are some amazing omissions. Never a single solo work by Mozart, Haydn, Brahms; just one by J.S. Bach. Nothing from Ravel, Scriabin, Rachmaninov.

For context: Yevgeny Sudbin, who I think is around age 30, has already recorded music by 17 different composers. Herbert Schuch has done 14.

I wonder if this reflects more on Pollini, or on the variety and learn-everything-ness that we expect of virtuosos in the 21st century, which wasn't necessarily the case when Pollini was young?

Possibly he never felt attracted to the late Romantic repetoire?  At any rate,  I'd say his advocacy of modern, living, composers more than balances out the lack of standard warhorses.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on November 06, 2013, 05:23:32 PMInteresting to me that Maurizio Pollini, according to ArkivMusic, has only recorded music by 18 composers in a nearly 50-year career.

Keep in mind that he has played more music in recital, and he has conducted occasionally, too (see below).  Maybe more live recordings will pop up in coming years.  I'd rather an artist focus on works that interest him or her than try to master everything.  Incidentally, Pollini did state in an interview that he wants to record Gaspard, but who knows if he will.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 06, 2013, 06:35:31 PM
Possibly he never felt attracted to the late Romantic repetoire?

And I have known more than one, let us say, advanced student of the piano who, on considering the huge herd of pianists ready to play All the Usual Suspects, find Other Music more attractive. (Particularly, but not exclusively, new music.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Well, I do like them, but I couldn't say that I love them . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jochanaan on October 29, 2013, 10:32:07 AM
Sounds like The BareNaked Ladies, who neither are ladies nor perform in the nude... ;)

Hey, that woman is no lady.... >:(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on November 06, 2013, 05:23:32 PM

I have recordings of music solo music by Brahms and Mozart. His commercial recordings aren't all on DG.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: jochanaan on October 29, 2013, 10:32:07 AM

Or a  peanut,which is neither a pea nor a nut.

Not to mention the Holy Roman Empire.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

TheGSMoeller

A few pics from my visit to the Civic Opera House in Chicago. A view from my seat for Parsifal and a few from inside the pit. The second one featuring a photobomb from an orchestra member  ;D

Henk

It appears to that I develop a preference of opera (Rossini, Cimarosa, Handel, Mozart, Bizet) and some postmodern music (Parra, de Raaff, Aperghis, Ferneyhough, Pécou, Birtwistle, Donatoni). And I know why.

Beethoven and Stravinsky are other composers who remain my favorites, because I like their music so much.
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

It's time my fine-feathered friends!