The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on September 24, 2014, 06:38:03 AM
If anyone's interested in hosting a blind comparison, Schoenberg's Five Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 16 might make for an interesting change. :)
That would be cool, actually. I'd probably participate, but I don't want to host it.

Edit: Ken, you've been waiting for this! http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,3125.msg833565.html#msg833565
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Brian

Yesterday, I casually read through all the Christopher Hogwood Martinu album reviews on ClassicsToday.com. Today, they put all of them behind the paywall. Hah! Beat the system!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 22, 2014, 04:06:24 PM
I just received an email sent to all subscribers of the ASO saying they have postponed all concerts until November 8th. If an agreement is reached before then they will try to resume as soon as possible.
Very sad day, musicians are now looking for money while rich Board members continue their lavish lifestyles.

The ASO President, Stanley Romanstein, just quit. The bad is getting worse.

jochanaan

Imagination + discipline = creativity

SurprisedByBeauty

Happy Birthday, Ton Koopman!

(who gets the little hidden message?)

Koopman will conduct the Beethoven 9th (w/VSO) for the New Year Concerts at the Konzerthaus this year.

jochanaan

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: jochanaan on October 03, 2014, 07:35:05 AM
I do, I do!!! ;D 8)

Bravo! If you haven't read about it in the other thread where the solution has been posted, can you give it to me in no more than six letters/numerals?  ::)

#SpotifyPlaylist @WienerKonzerthaus

Every month we intend to publish two Playlists: One with all the classical pieces in the concerts we present the following month -- and one with the World & Jazz bits.

Here's the classical list for the Month of October. Where possible, the artists actually playing the works are chosen, but usually that's not the case. What recordings might you have chosen to present a given work from its best side??

Is this thing useful or confusing?

>>> direct HTML Spotify Link

Tumblr | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

jochanaan

Quote from: WienerKonzerthaus on October 03, 2014, 07:38:21 AM
Bravo! If you haven't read about it in the other thread where the solution has been posted, can you give it to me in no more than six letters/numerals?  ::)
BWV582 ;D

SurprisedByBeauty

Brian

Robert von Bahr tells his funniest story yet - the time he released a CD on a dare.

"I remember that I participated in a discussion back in the '80s of the long time between a recording and its release. I then, foolishly, said that it could be done in a matter of days, and was immediately challenged to prove the fact. So I decided to take up the glove and planned very carefully with all concerned, booklet author, printer, CD plant, orchestra, soloists etc to see how quickly a regular CD (not a live performance) could be recorded, edited, OKed, printed and pressed from end recording to actual appearance of the disc. Answer: 69 hours, but I can assure you - I didn't sleep a wink in those 75 hours between start of last day's recording until release.

"I won't repeat the process, that I can assure you of. Nevertheless, Bamberger Sinfoniker, Roland Pöntinen, piano and Leif Segerstam, conductor helped us with two of the most played concertos in the repertoire, Tchaikovsky 1 and Grieg, and they do it with all honour preserved. In spite of the speed, nothing has been left to chance (and this was in the time before internet, so we had to go to Salzburg from Bamberg in a car to deliver the master tape, having been edited on the spot in a hired studio). As I said - I won't do it again, but it was fun. RvB"

amw

Chandos has recently withdrawn all of their albums from Qobuz.

They do appear to still be on Spotify and Naxos Music Library for the moment, so it doesn't seem they abandoned streaming altogether. Perhaps they just wanted less competition for The Classical Shop's (more expensive) downloads.

SurprisedByBeauty

What a pity, though. Qobuz is a much more classical music industry-friendly model than Spotify.

We are working with Qobuz to get them to bring out a Konzerthaus Monthly playlist, too, actually.

Jaakko Keskinen

Why does Grieg look like Albert Einstein or Mark Twain?
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

Has anyone else noticed how much the beggining of Chopin's Nocturne op. 9 no. 1 sounds like the beginning of Non piu mesta from Rossini's La Cenerentola? No, I'm not crazy: compare the first four seconds of each.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Brian

Quote from: Brian on October 07, 2014, 03:59:17 PM
Robert von Bahr tells his funniest story yet - the time he released a CD on a dare.

"I remember that I participated in a discussion back in the '80s of the long time between a recording and its release. I then, foolishly, said that it could be done in a matter of days, and was immediately challenged to prove the fact. So I decided to take up the glove and planned very carefully with all concerned, booklet author, printer, CD plant, orchestra, soloists etc to see how quickly a regular CD (not a live performance) could be recorded, edited, OKed, printed and pressed from end recording to actual appearance of the disc. Answer: 69 hours, but I can assure you - I didn't sleep a wink in those 75 hours between start of last day's recording until release.

"I won't repeat the process, that I can assure you of. Nevertheless, Bamberger Sinfoniker, Roland Pöntinen, piano and Leif Segerstam, conductor helped us with two of the most played concertos in the repertoire, Tchaikovsky 1 and Grieg, and they do it with all honour preserved. In spite of the speed, nothing has been left to chance (and this was in the time before internet, so we had to go to Salzburg from Bamberg in a car to deliver the master tape, having been edited on the spot in a hired studio). As I said - I won't do it again, but it was fun. RvB"

Today he revealed that Roland Pontinen's joke nickname is Orlando de Pontini.

Moonfish

Rhapsody has Mozart's Don Giovanni listed under a pretty odd sub category category:

Comedy/Spoken Word
Comedy
Stand-Up Comedy

??? ??? ??? ???

Rhapsody really fails at labeling & categorizing their classical music in terms of performers. The track labeling is hopeless. I guess they cater to other groups of music lovers.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

stingo

Quote from: Moonfish on October 11, 2014, 07:28:01 PMRhapsody really fails at labeling & categorizing their classical music in terms of performers. The track labeling is hopeless. I guess they cater to other groups of music lovers.

As much as I like Rhapsody, this is sadly very, very true.

Sergeant Rock

Jens is a lot older than I thought  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 12, 2014, 04:16:38 PM
Jens is a lot older than I thought  ;D

Sarge

I thought WK was a particular friend of Jens.
But I confess to being curious as to what equipment a concert hall prefers for its listening.