Mystery track!

Started by lukeottevanger, April 08, 2007, 12:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukeottevanger

I don't tend to be much of a thread starter, but seeing as we're all still in party mood  ;D here's a clip I've been longing to test you all out on. Simple question: who's the composer?

not edward

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

lukeottevanger

BachQ

knight66

I am never any good at this sort of thing...it sounds like a song to me, Lehar?

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

lukeottevanger

D moll, you are not taking this seriously! >:( >:( (where's the police smiley gone?)  ;D

Wouldn't it be perception changing if 'twas Bruckner, though? So think along those lines.... ;)

Mike - it's a solo piano piece. Carries on in this vein for a couple of minutes.

knight66

Right, I though perhaps you were making a transcription. No good really me guessing, if it was remotely obvious you would not have posted it and I need the at least remotely obvious.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

lukeottevanger

No, obvious it isn't, I must admit.

carlos

Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

lukeottevanger

Sensible suggestion. Too sensible  ;)

lukeottevanger

Shall I take it that you all give up then?

Joe Barron

I'm going to take a wild stab and say Gottschalk.

lukeottevanger

No, sorry. Seem to have trapped you all in my carefully laid cage.

not edward

Which piece? I didn't recognize it at all.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."

lukeottevanger

Fads and Fancies in the Academy (from 1940, too) A movement called 'Reactionaries' (though it's only one of a few movements in such surprising stylistic garb) - apparently this one is facetiously notated in all sorts of irrelevant metres, however  ;D

not edward

Ah...never heard the piece before.

I did think it was 20th century, if only because it sounded like reactionary music written by someone who liked Satie. I guess I was a lot closer than I realised. ;)

lukeottevanger

Quote from: edward on April 09, 2007, 01:26:29 PM
reactionary music written by someone who liked Satie. I guess I was a lot closer than I realised. ;)

You certainly were! Well done!

(This wasn't very fair of me, I know.  ;)  I just love the fact Cage wrote something of this sort, so, any old excuse to post it!)

not edward

Oh, definitely. I used to play similar tricks on people by playing snippets from Schnittke film soundtracks. ;)

(And of course, there's that old standby, the slow movement of DSCH's 2nd piano concerto.)

lukeottevanger

Quote from: edward on April 09, 2007, 01:36:54 PM
Oh, definitely. I used to play similar tricks on people by playing snippets from Schnittke film soundtracks. ;)

Yes, I have a Kancheli one like that...
Quote from: edward on April 09, 2007, 01:36:54 PM(And of course, there's that old standby, the slow movement of DSCH's 2nd piano concerto.)

Well, that one's almost literally by Beethoven, of course (slow movement of PC5)!

Brian

Dang! I was going to say Granados  >:( ;D